Key Post: Worst buy for baby?

Re: Worst buy for baby?

I would have thought contraceptives that didn't work would be the "worst buy for baby"<g>

Baby wipe holders....especiall when you have to force your fingers through the top to clean off some crap while the baby is sqirming around the place.

Also the round baby wipe canisters...as you get to the end of them & try to pull out the next wipe the whole thing just lifts in your hand.

Tesco baby wipes....€1.63 they are cheap & useless..

...I'll try to think of something different instead of baby wipes next time......

ninsaga

Last edited:

I've seen a few people here posting about "wipeability" issues (esp. the cotton-wool-and-water combo). Cotton wool and a bit of olive oil deals much better with heavy "emissions", and is wonderful for that smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom feel... :D P.S. I don't mean the kind you put on pizzas, but the odourless brown-bottle variety available from your chemist!

DrMoriarty said:
:D P.S. I don't mean the kind you put on pizzas, but the odourless brown-bottle variety available from your chemist!
How is the stuff from the chemist different from edible olive oil? :confused:

It's for external use only. Usually comes in a plain brown bottle with [broken link removed]on the label (no, not British Petroleum!) and is surprisingly inexpensive, therefore not usually very prominently displayed (unlike the dearer, branded products). Ask at your local chemist!

DrMoriarty said:
It's for external use only. Usually comes in a plain brown bottle with [broken link removed]on the label (no, not British Petroleum!) and is surprisingly inexpensive, therefore not usually very prominently displayed (unlike the dearer, branded products). Ask at your local chemist!
I always wondered about B.P. on medical bottles. I presume it stands for British Pharmacopoeia? What exactly does it mean though? Guarantee of some sort of standards used in preparation or purity etc.?

Lidl wipes, cheap and effective. But to be honest we only use wipes if we're out and about, generally cotton wool and water does the job- most of the time!

"Yeah - I use the microwave but herself is wary of it and uses a pot of boiled water. I haven't scalded baby yet so hopefully social services won't be knocking on my door later today..."

Please be very careful when using the microwave for heating bottles. I never used them myself but heard some terrible horror stories about babies being badly burnt because parents did not wait for the required length of time after the bottle came out of microwave. Some of the maternity hospitals say that the room temperature bottle is sufficient. I always found bottle warmer worked fine.

The baby alarms are very handy on hols. if baby is having a snooze in room and you want to do something else nearby.

We found the over-the-door bouncer great and kept them entertained for quite a while.

To lower the tone of the conversation the worst nappies are those from breastfed babies - akin to scrambled egg and can travel everywhere. Lovely to have to deal with at maybe 5 a.m. in winter time. Just makes you wonder do these kids appreciate what us poor parents go thru - no they don't give a s.... :D

I've found the cotton wool balls (€2 for a big bag of them in the "pound" shops) much easier to use than those packs where you have to tear a chunk out before use. With the latter I always end up taking far more than necessary and ending up with it all over the carpet etc. :(

sueellen said:
Please be very careful when using the microwave for heating bottles. I never used them myself but heard some terrible horror stories about babies being badly burnt because parents did not wait for the required length of time after the bottle came out of microwave. Some of the maternity hospitals say that the room temperature bottle is sufficient. I always found bottle warmer worked fine.
I am very careful! I only use it to take the chill out of refrigerated bottles since we otherwise serve bottles at room temperature.

To lower the tone of the conversation the worst nappies are those from breastfed babies - akin to scrambled egg and can travel everywhere. Lovely to have to deal with at maybe 5 a.m. in winter time. Just makes you wonder do these kids appreciate what us poor parents go thru - no they don't give a s.... :D
The bottle fed ones (well a mix of some breast and mostly bottle at the moment) aren't much different in my experience! All the books say that breast fed nappies should be less smelly than bottle fed. I never noticed that myself.

Wait until you go to change boys nappies and get hit in the eye! ;)

Or have a baby with reflux and get the bright idea to play with them by holding them up in the air and get a load of vomit in the mouth - yummy. :p

Experienced both of those with the various babies (e.g. nephews and nieces) in the extended family over the years! :)

ClubMan said:
I am very careful! I only use it to take the chill out of refrigerated bottles since we otherwise serve bottles at room temperature.
Give the bottle a really vigorous and prolonged shake when you take it out of the microwave. This will get rid of any hot spots in the liquid which could scald the baby when drinking the bottle.

I know, I know... I'm sorry I ever mentioned the microwave in the first place now... :rolleyes:

sueellen said:
Just makes you wonder do these kids appreciate what us poor parents go thru - no they don't give a s.... :D
Don't worry - you'll get your chance for revenge when old age kicks in and they have to spoonfeed you & change your nappies - pretty horrible thought, eh?

ClubMan said:
I know, I know... I'm sorry I ever mentioned the microwave in the first place now... :rolleyes:
I remember overhearing a conversation between a very experienced nurse in Temple St. Hospital who was challenged by a mother when heating a bottle in a microwave. The nurse said that "unless you're a complete idiot" it's a perfectly safe thing to do.....this neatly encapsulates the H&S implications of most parenting practices in my view.;)

oysterman said:
Give the bottle a really vigorous and prolonged shake when you take it out of the microwave....
...and leave it stand for a few minutes, and then shake the bejasus out of it again before using it. Those 'hot spots' can stay hot for quite a while after you take the bottle out. But if you're careful there's nothing wrong with using a microwave to heat bottles (or babyfood).

Carpenter said:
Does everbody test baby's bathwater with their own elbow first??

No way - never.

The skin on my elbow is like a horse's hide.

Use the inside of my wrist instead.

Back