Key Post: Laser Eye Surgery

Re: Laser Eye Surgery

elcato said:
They also could find the price prohibiting.

You are joking................... I read recently that the average for these people is over 200k/pa. Their insurance could take a bite out of that, but I am sure cost would not stop them. Also, do you think they would pay full price? I think not.

I got my eyes done in the Advanced Laser Clinic () on the Lisburn Road in Belfast last December. Cost £1500 for both eyes. I got a cheque back from revenue for about €800 a few months later, therefore it worked out about €1700 for both eyes. Have now got 20/20 vision, best money I ever spent and they provide a great service. I know lots of other people who got it done up there aswell...would well recommend it!

animha,

What about follow up visits. Did you return to Belfast many times post-op?

hey i got laser eye surgery in optilase laser eye clinic in Dublin and have to say i was thrilled with the outcome.i found the place very professional.I paid 995euro per eye plus the consultation was free so i think i got value for money.wud definately recommend this place

This user has been banned for advertising. See separate post herehttp://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=92951

You are joking................... I read recently that the average for these people is over 200k/pa. Their insurance could take a bite out of that, but I am sure cost would not stop them. Also, do you think they would pay full price? I think not.
Eh so nurses are not 'Medical professionals' then ? or do you think they earn 200k pa also ?

for someone paying tax at the lower rate, they would get just over 400 euro back if they paid 2050 per eye - is that correct?
With regards to driving at night and seeing 'starbursts' etc., is it possible to get glasses just for this problem? Like sunglasses, but night glasses as such?
Has anyone been to the wellington clinic or the mater private? Got a recommendation for a Dr. Keefe in the Mater, just wondered if anyone had been there.

elcato said:
Eh so nurses are not 'Medical professionals' then ? or do you think they earn 200k pa also ?

Dont be picky, you know I meant the surgeons & doctors.

animha said:
I got my eyes done in the Advanced Laser Clinic () on the Lisburn Road in Belfast last December.
Checked out http://www.eyeclinic.co.uk and requested info on the Lisburn Road, Belfast clinic. Got a brochure in the mail from ORBIT Laser Eye Clinic based in 12 Merrion Square Dublin 2?? Got a phone call from a ORBIT reb – Confused I asked him did you set up in Dublin? He said yes and apparently the Lisburn Road clinic went into liquidation?? There appears to be no website for ORBIT Laser Eye Clinic but the brochure states the surgeon is Dr Takis Kalognomas, the one formally based in Belfast. Does anyone know anything about the ORBIT Laser Eye Clinic in Dublin?

Blue Bean,

I got my eyes done in the Wellington Clinic 2 years ago and was very happy with the procedure and the service. 2 Friends of mine went after me and were delighted with the outcome as well.
I went back for an adjustment after 6 month (one of my eyes was slightly below what I had asked for) and there were no problems.
Had the procedure on a Thursday afternoon on both eyes and was out celebrating on Friday night
M.

Looking into this for myself and have been referred (by my optican) to a consulatnt by the name Mr Smith who I believe works out of the Bon Secours clinic. Has anybody been to this consultant? and if so what was their opinion?

Thanks

S.

Why is the procedure still experimental after 7-10 years(???) of treating people? And why can an experimental procedure be so widely sold and marketed?

Sorry, If I missed something Itchy. Maybe I'm confused, but where did the claim
that it is "experimental" come from ?

last year a work mate of mine got lazer treatment in belfast,quite near to the ulster hall.all i can say is that it was half the price compared to the republic and if you can take more business their way they will give you cash.the funny thing was the glasses he had to wear after the treatment which made him look like a wasp.just make sure you take someone with you because the patient cannot drive home

oinseach said:
I checked this out recently:

E2000 per eye in Cork
E1995 per eye in Waterford
E2100 in the Blackrock Clinic

Sounds like the SIMI have moved into the eye surgery market :)

Roy

Itchy said:
Why is the procedure still experimental after 7-10 years(???) of treating people? And why can an experimental procedure be so widely sold and marketed?
The technology is changing all the time. Those who were treated 10 years ago were under different technology to that which is in use today.

X-Man said:
lif you can take more business their way they will give you cash.
Can you expand on this? Are they offering a referral fee or kickback? How much?

huskerdu said:
Sorry, If I missed something Itchy. Maybe I'm confused, but where did the claim
that it is "experimental" come from ?

Dont you still have to sign a form saying you acknowledge that it is an experimental surgery and that nobody knows the long term effects etc.?

Other interesting snippets are that Adam Clayton of U2 no longer drives at night as a result of lasik and Jennifer Capriati has problems playing tennis at night.

Jeez, if she could play tennis at night then I dont know why she had to get her eyes done in the first place!

I'd like to get mine done too. I am very blind (about minus 8 in both eyes) and glasses are robbling me. I am a member of Vivas, so would probably go down that route. The "night vision" thing worries me though "seeing" as I drive for a living. (sorry, I couldnt resist the quotes!)

I recall reading many years ago that some insurance companies will not cover you for a night time accident if you have had the surgary.
This may be an urban myth.

Can you get your money back if it doesn't work (or buy insurance)?
Has anyone got it done 5 years ago or more? I'd hate to get it done and my eyesight start to go bad after 2 or 3 years.

Can you get your money back if it doesn't work (or buy insurance)?
Has anyone got it done 5 years ago or more? I'd hate to get it done and my eyesight start to go bad after 2 or 3 years.

I had it done 7 years ago and my sight is still perfect. My Dad had it done 8 years ago and his sight is still perfect. My brother about 5 years ago the same. My girlfriend about 5 years ago the same.
I'd recommend William Power in the Blackrock Clinic without hesitation and would be wary of these discount eye places for reasons I've outlined before.

Back