Key Post: Laser Eye Surgery

Hi Setanta,

You were right! I was misinformed first (and second) time around by the tax office in Cork. Tax relief is indeed claimable, even when the procedure is done abroad. Full details here:

Hi there,

I had Lasik done two years ago and I would not want to live it without it. It's absolutely fantastic to be able to live without contact lenses and the procedure nothing - going to the dentist is worse.
I got it done in Dublin for 2000 Euro per eye -got 700 Euro back from the tax people
I was very happy with the clinic - they were very professional and the aftercare was excellent.

Maybe it makes more of a difference if you are really short sighted (I was -7) but I can only recommend it. 4 friends of mine had it all done in the same clinic and the are of the same opinion as myself.

I'm not sure I'd want to run the risk of poor night vision. Thanks for the info joe.

Laser Eye Surgery

Had Lasik done about 5 yrs ago in teh Mater Private, procedure worked well and I am happy with it.
This is the bit that I love to tell people and watch their reaction "you can smell the burning"-but with the valium you don't care. That is usually enough to put people off.
I got 1 eye done, won't bother to get the other done, no real need.

I suppose there is a risk that you need to ascess for yourself. Next time you are in a hospital take note of how many medical personnel are wearing glasses, that night help sway you. The fact that an eye surgeon won't get it done might tell you something.

Good luck

Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Forgive me if I'm missing an obvious point here, but why do so many settle for getting just one eye done? Is it because they don't want to go through the ordeal again, or one good eye is enough to do without the glasses/lenses, or financial consideration, or what?

I had both eyes done on the same day last April by Michael Browne at the Blackrock clinic - done at 12pm and drove myself (no glasses!) to the 10am checkup the following day. No problems and I would highly recommend him.

And yes, you can smell your own eyes burning...... :D

Sarah

Got both eyes done in the Blackrock clinic two and half years ago by Michael Browne. After wearing glasses for 20 years, it has changed my life.

I do suffer slightly every so often from bloodshot eyes (possibly dryness) and they get very tired when driving at night. Can't say its connected to the laser treatment, in fact it is a small discomfort to put up with for the benefit.

Now that I've had the surgery done, I thought I should drop back and tell you all how it went.

I had had an assessment done in Cork and scheduled the surgery here, but went up to Belfast when I found out here about claiming the tax back for procedures carried out outside the Republic and also because the surgeon in Cork (Mr Conall Hurley) was very shirty with me and with his own staff and threw a hissy fit when I asked questions about possible complications and his success rates. In contrast, all the people in the clinic in Belfast were extremely friendly and helpful and the surgeon (Dr Takis Kalognomas) had no problem taking all the time I wanted to talk me through the procedure and answer my questions. No-one held back on warning me of the possible risks, either, so I felt in control of my choice. Then, happily, it all went well and I now have near-perfect vision and have experienced no complications as yet - no night-blindness or hazing around lights or suchlike. As the eyes will continue to heal for up to six months, I'm told, it's likely they'll get better again.

The clinic was full of southerners and the directors were quite happy to schedule the assessment and surgery on consecutive days to facilitate those of us who had travelled North (though be warned - they told me they turn away up to 30% of those who consult with them as unsuitable for laser surgery). As to cost, the basic fee is ST£695 per eye for LASIK, increasing according to prescription, but they apparently do special deals and discounts and have advertised deals in the South before, I know, for EUR995 per eye - which, by the way, includes the assessment, optical work-up, prescriptions and follow-up care, each of which is charged separately from the EUR2000 per eye procedure in the South. Rip-off Ireland, indeed.

The place I went to was the Advanced Laser Eye Clinic on the Lisburn Road and yes, I know they were rapped over the knuckles by the Advertising Standards people here a couple of months ago for stretching a point about how long they had been established in Ireland, but I've heard nothing bad about the care they provide and would recommend them to anyone.

And I didn't smell my eyes burning, after all ;)

Hello all,
Just to let you know that I got LASIC operation in my home country(India), I paid around 545 Euros.

REgards,
San

An ad in the evening hearld on the 13/9/05 had a place in belfast called optical express charging £395 per eye.

My Husband Had It Done In New York Last Year, 2000 Dollars It Cost, Per Eye. By An Excellant Doctor, Came Well Recommended. Brilliant Sucessess For Him.

I'm not sure I'd be focussing (pun intended) on price as the key factor in choosing which person to let loose with a laser on the inside of my eye.

Next time you are in a hospital, have a look at the amount of Medical Professionals that wear glasses, I think a lot of them wouldn't undergo the procedure, wonder why?.

There are a lot of after care visits which wouyld make visiting the Uk a bit more awkward.
Pat

I was just listening to an opthalmic surgeon from The Eye & Ear talking to Pat Kenny. The question of cost came up and he explained that the cost is formed by the working practices within each eye hospital. For example, the servicing of the laser machine costs about E70,000 per yr. They could cut corners by only getting it serviced once a year instead of three times a year, or by fitting more people into one days surgery but they feel that standards would be compromised. He also stressed that it is important that patients have good follow-on care when they opt to have procedures done outside of their country. If infection develops the onus to treat the patient is on the consultant here who patients then have to attend. This can be difficult if the operating hospital do not fax on op notes, antibiotic history etc. It's just another view on the subject and something to take into account before jumping into 'first world medicine at third world prices'!

As RainyDay and Ophelia have already pointed out, cost would be not on my list of priorities if considering getting this procedure done. I had it done in the Blackrock Clinic this May, and I consider it worth every penny for the excellent after care service provided. I also had a personal recommendation from someone before hand for one of the surgeons there, I think this is also very important.

Next time you are in a hospital, have a look at the amount of Medical Professionals that wear glasses, I think a lot of them wouldn't undergo the procedure, wonder why?.
Lasik does not not cure your need to get reading glasses when you reach your forties so don't assume because someone wears glasses while checking your chart needs to get eye surgery done. They also could find the price prohibiting.

it is interesting to note the number of healthcare professionals that wear glasses. They don't seem to have much faith in elective procedures, maybe I am just a cynic. BTW I had Lasik on 1 eye a few years back and am very happy. had it done in the matter private. Wouldn't get the other eye done though "just in Case".

There is no doubt that Irish consultants are over paid due to entry restrictions, so it's no wonder their services are overpriced. The SB Post did a nice article last week slating the medical, legal, dentistry, etc professions.

I agree price should not be the primary consideration, however I don't believe I should waste my hard earned cash on overpriced surgery, when there are no guarantees the procedure is even equal to that of the cheaper competitor. I hate when the professionals cast doubt on their competition by using scare tactics on their potential consumers.

Surely these kind of important procedures should be subject to minimim regulations to ensure minimum standards/quality?

Lemurz said:
Surely these kind of important procedures should be subject to minimim regulations to ensure minimum standards/quality?

Thats just it, It depends on what regulations and whose standards you want to risk your eyesight with. Personally, I believe in 'the devil you know' theory when it comes to surgery.

Back