Key Post: Best Buy for Baby?

Re: Best Buy for Baby?

And for all the ubersexual babies out there, get a Tripp Trap high chair :)

Definitely one of my best buys.

No tray, so the chair slides in to fit at the table (height adjustable) and eventually can be re-assembled as a regular chair when the child is old enough.

Best high chair on the market (so says me ;) )

Yeah I've heard of these, are they very expensive though? We bought a (cheap)serviceable plastic high chair in Argos, it's adjustable, easily washed and is lightweight- no complaints thus far.

Trip Trapp is very nice, but I would need to sell the baby first to afford it :)

Carpenter said:
Yeah I've heard of these, are they very expensive though? We bought a (cheap)serviceable plastic high chair in Argos, it's adjustable, easily washed and is lightweight- no complaints thus far.

Yes, they are more expensive, but worth it. I bought mine in a shop in Greystones (ebaby I think it's called) and it was approx €200 about 3 years ago. My daugher is almost 4 and because it's adjustable she uses it as a regular chair now. There are probably others on the market similar to it.

Lidl nappies

We did find problems with leaks at night for Lidl nappies so use a pampers at night and Lidl nappies during the day, the difference between Lidl and pampers is €5.50 a pack and last week Lidl nappies were only €5.69 each on a special promo so I bought about 10 packs..............then I went off to dunnes to finish the shopping and saw that they had a special promo on nappies...

Well done Lidl and competition!!

I've seen people mention leaks with all brands of nappy at this stage and am beginning to suspect that it is simlpy faulty installation that causes this. We've had a few incidences of leaks with different brands but always, it seems, simply due to not putting them on correctly (e.g. ensuring that the elasticated legs are fitted correctly and the waistband turned down inside slightly etc.) - often half asleep at around 05:00 - or a particularly heavy emission by baby. :)

rainyday,you just need the businesses number to get into musgraves. The invoices is printed in the business name but you pay with your own cash and never need put the invoice through the business so no need to put any personal items through a business just use the facility to bulk buy.

angie said:
rainyday,you just need the businesses number to get into musgraves. The invoices is printed in the business name but you pay with your own cash and never need put the invoice through the business so no need to put any personal items through a business just use the facility to bulk buy.
Was this in response to a particular query or issue?

Has anyone tried moltex nappies?

I used these becuase they have no bleach (so they're not white) and found them very good. Mind you, unless you have your own composter I don't think they are any more biodegrabale than other nappies so they just end up in the landfill, but they seemed like a more eco friendly option.

I did occasionally use plastic bags to put the dirty nappies in but never felt right using plastic bags (scented or otherwise) - isn't there just too much plastic around.

Edited to add: The moltex nappies aren't available in shops but they are delivered to your door which I also found very handy.

Haven't used these but am currently using cloth nappies with flushable liners purchased from an American website and they are working out fine. They take a bit more time and effort than disposable ones but are worth the effort to not be filling landfills with items that don't breakdown for a few hundred years.

Dowee said:
Haven't used these but am currently using cloth nappies with flushable liners purchased from an American website and they are working out fine. They take a bit more time and effort than disposable ones but are worth the effort to not be filling landfills with items that don't breakdown for a few hundred years.
As mentioned earlier we're using Popolini one size fitted cotton nappies from [broken link removed] for nighttime at the moment with a view to reducing our use of disposable nappies as time goes on and he grows into the cotton ones.

In the hot press! :D They are OK so far. Because they're one size and folded down at the front and back to use the small size poppers at the moment they are quite bulky but they do say this on the site above. When he grows a bit he should be less constrained with them on so for now we just use them at night. We got a pack of ten for now and a couple of small covering pants. We soak them in a small bin until we have a few for the wash.

Have to salute all this concern for the environment. I think I once read somewhere that the annual national "dump" of disposable nappies was enough to landfill Dublin Bay several times over... :eek:

It's also a very substantial "consumer" expense. My own kids are aged 7-16, so I also remember the day that our little one got out of nappies as the first time in 10+ years that we hadn't had to keep the hot press half-filled with bales of the things.

I'm also glad (for all of ye..! :D ) that Ireland has been gradually forced to bring Child Benefit rates into line with EU norms. When we moved back to Ireland from France in 1989, I remember that the monthly benefit for a single child was IR£15.84 — literally not even enough to cover the cost of nappies alone... and not a tax break in sight! :mad:

And — 'though of course I/we'll largely miss out on them, personally — I hope the next government will finally honour some of their pre-election "fluff" regarding maternity leave entitlements/tax relief for childcare. In fact, I'd urge all you Brave New Parents to make it a deciding factor in how you vote..!

[Edit: My, what pretty colours those smilies add to the board. Positively Timothy-Leary-esque...!]

Re: Lidl Nappies

SarahMc said:
Did you know that Lidl nappies are compostable and biodegradeable, unlike pampers, huggies et al.

Is this really true that LIDL nappies are compostable and biodegradable??? I sue cloth mainly but we alway have stock of LIDL nappies to for times of need. They're far better nappy than pampers an dthe liek but wow if they are compostable and bio-degradable that's even better!

Tip:

For those with pre-school and older children who have curly/tangly hair, apparently the trick is to wash with CONDITIONER ONLY.

My daughter (4) has long fine straight hair so I don't need to use conditioner only but I always put a little conditioner in after shampoo and it makes a big difference. I can comb through without any protest! :)

An Avon lady called to the door during the summer (I KNOW some of you here are old enough to remember when the Avon Lady calling was commonplace ;) ) and I ordered a bag full of stuff, all good value, including a children's shampoo and conditioner which was really good.

For anyone using formula and going out an about, especially in warm weather (well, there was this one day...), I found the little containers that hold the correct amount of formula for 3 feeds very handy. You can put the water in the bottle and keep the powder separate, then mix when needed, without worrying about the feed going off. Hard to describe, avent make one, like here

I agree with the containers for the formula found it very useful as my daughter only liked warm bottles.

Also can recommend the Angel monitor which my sister gave me which came in so useful for my son who always likes to sleep on his belly (don't need it now as he is 15 months) but it beeps if the child stops breathing.

Jess said:
Has anyone tried moltex nappies?

I used these becuase they have no bleach (so they're not white) and found them very good. Mind you, unless you have your own composter I don't think they are any more biodegrabale than other nappies so they just end up in the landfill, but they seemed like a more eco friendly option.

They will be more biodegradable than regular nappies. They're compostable, so by definition they're also biodegradable.

Back