Key Post: Best Buy for Baby?

Re: Lidl Nappies

SarahMc said:
Did you know that Lidl nappies are compostable and biodegradeable, unlike pampers, huggies et al.
Is this true? There's nothing on the pack stating that this is the case.

Re: Best Buy for Baby?

Yeah- I checked the pack myself last night and all I could gather was that perhaps the plastic wrapper is recyclable, no reference to biodegradability anywhere. It's a fantastic offer at the moment it must be said and it has to qualify as a "no brainer" where value is concerned.

Clubman, Carpenter, and Bill, all discussing and comparing the price of nappies!

Wow . Who is Bill btw?

maryrose said:
Clubman, Carpenter, and Bill, all discussing and comparing the price of nappies!

Wow .
Why wow?
Who is Bill btw?
You mean ShoppingBill.com? I don't think that Bill is a real individual but I could be wrong.

The shoppingbill site was started by 2 cork lassies. Una power and Gwenn Clayton. Maybe they have a friend called Bill. But, I too, doubt it.

I checked the wrapper on the lidl nappies too. We're all a price concious/eco friendly lot on AAM. It kinda gets into everything you do after spending a while here.

Best Buys for baby?

a) Feeding: start with draught rather than bottled then move on to home made food rather than jarred food.

b) Nappies: try washables rather than disposables.

c) Equipment: Buy and Sell, complete fit out for less than €250

d) Toys: up to toddler stage, check out charity shops - almost everything can be washed/cleaned/sterlised. Most of what you buy at this age is going to be eaten, trashed, walked on or hoovered up.

This isn't just being stingy; we all know by now that re-cycling is better for everyone, that includes all the baby stuff that we are suckered in to buying.

In the same cost-efficient/eco-friendly vein, may I recommend this new product for those of you with wooden floors..?

[broken link removed]

Kildrought said:
a) Feeding: start with draught rather than bottled
Sometimes easier said than done in our experience and that of other members of my family.

b) Nappies: try washables rather than disposables.
Yeah - we're currently using disposables for day and one size fitted for night (Popolini One Size from [broken link removed]) the plan being to reduce the dependence on disposables further when the the cotton ones aren't so bulky on our brat.

c) Equipment: Buy and Sell, complete fit out for less than €250
Yeah - there are some great bargains to be had on the likes of eBay too (e.g. the Mothercare baby carrier harness that I bagged for €13 from the UK) although I guess you have to be careful about what is safe to use second hand and what's not (e.g. they generally say that one should not reuse an old cot and definitely not an old mattress - mind you, I don't know how we survived if that's the case!).

d) Toys: up to toddler stage, check out charity shops - almost everything can be washed/cleaned/sterlised. Most of what you buy at this age is going to be eaten, trashed, walked on or hoovered up.
Indeed! :)

This isn't just being stingy; we all know by now that re-cycling is better for everyone, that includes all the baby stuff that we are suckered in to buying.
I agree. And don't forget all the crap that people seem to think that is necessary but which you can easily live without - and this goes for the general case and not just babies!

One "luxury" I can certainly recommend from experience is those wind-up rotating dome-shaped music-box thingies that play soothing lullaby tunes and project little moving images of stars/moons, etc. onto the bedroom ceiling. Tomy® make them, but I'm sure many other brands exist. They might even have a battery-operated version that'll switch off after 10/15 mins, as opposed to the 2 or 3 minutes you got from the wind-up version (and the noise of winding them up usually undid much of the benefit! :()

I have many fond memories of those Timothy-Leary-type moments myself...! ;)

Sometimes easier said than done in our experience
I know Clubman, but that's more because a) culturally we've 'forgotten' how and b) better support systems from health professionals are required. But this is a whole other discussion to be honest...

Dr. Moriarty - you have way too much time on your hands.....!

Kildrought said:
I know Clubman, but that's more because a) culturally we've 'forgotten' how and b) better support systems from health professionals are required.
The support was great from the Rotunda staff, public health nurse and extended family but that doesn't help when soreness, engorgement, infections and tiredness kicks in I'm afraid. :(

Kildrought said:
Dr. Moriarty - you have way too much time on your hands.....!
You should see my face...! :D

Actually, I do have a "non-flippant" interest in this area, sociologically speaking (but I didn't want to sidetrack this thread, beyond posting the odd "ha-ha" interjection). As a parent of five, I'm very firmly in favour of "la lêche", but I'm also very wary of the Earth-Mother/Health Nazi tendency to heap guilt on mothers who for one reason or another can't breastfeed, or simply choose not to. Quite apart from soreness, engorgement, infections and tiredness, I imagine that returning to work must be a hell of an ordeal for any new mother. And a lot more of them have to (or choose to), nowadays, than used to in my day...

But Jeez, if we can be dissed for discussing the price of nappies, I'd better shut up quickly on this particular "best buy for baby"...! ;)

DrMoriarty said:
I'm very firmly in favour of "la lêche", but I'm also very wary of the Earth-Mother/Health Nazi tendency to heap guilt on mothers who for one reason or another can't breastfeed, or simply choose not to.
Many couples that we spoke to complained about undue pressure being put on them to breastfeed (particularly by the Rotunda) and subtle or implied criticism of those who chose not to. We didn't experience this directly ourselves and couldn't fault the care provided by the Rotunda at all times (ante-natal, delivery, post-natal). However when my wife was roomed in with two other mothers, one of whom was not breastfeeding (and who probably couldn't effectively due to her baby having reflux problems and not keeping much down requiring repeated and ongoing feeding) and one of whom was (along with my wife), she did notice one midwife coming in one day telling the two who were breastfeeding that they were great while effectively ignoring the one who was not. Strange... Interestingly, our public health nurse (who has also been great and has dropped into us about half a dozen times already - and not because we're hopeless cases I don't think! ;)), was pretty pragmatic about things like mixed breast and bottle feeding, soothers if they were needed (e.g. better than thumb sucking) etc. and seemed a little iffy about the "hard line" taken on breast only feeding by some parties including the La Leche League.

Dr. M., That comment of mine was not intended as a diss, far from it.

Iwas more than impressed by the obvious involvement and the interest in the less 'glamorous' side of having a new baby in the house, and lets face it the cost of nappies is not everyones idea of scintillating conversation, so its usually
mothers (I know I'm digging a hole for myself) I hear having these conversations.

To me this was a reflection of how far we have come, from the days when I was a rookie midwife in the Rotunda, and the women used to be dropped off at the 'lodge' , left by their menfolk , who ran accross to Conways to 'drown the babies head' while the women got on with the business of going into labour all on their todd.

maryrose said:
the cost of nappies is not everyones idea of scintillating conversation, so its usually
mothers (I know I'm digging a hole for myself)
Actually I tend to use moist cotton wool and sanitary wipes myself but I might try a shovel now that you mention it! :D

To me this was a reflection of how far we have come, from the days when I was a rookie midwife in the Rotunda, and the women used to be dropped off at the 'lodge' , left by their menfolk , who ran accross to Conways to 'drown the babies head' while the women got on with the business of going into labour all on their todd.
It's funny alright. While watching me feed and change our baby the other day, my 80+ year old aunt commented on how you'd never see a man doing that in her day while my friend's mother recounted the story of seeing her brother in law pushing one of his kids in the pram one day years ago and lamenting to her husband "Poor fellah - wouldn't you think the wife would do that sort of thing?"! ;)

I was only joking about being "dissed", maryrose...! Surely we New Men are entitled to be a little oversensitive on occasion? ;)

New Men is so 80s - I thought that we were all Metrosexuals these days? :p

I thought to qualify as a "Metrosexual" one would have to be "pretty", carry one of those satchel type "manbags" and be of ambiguous sexual orientation?

Back