keep or get rid of beard for interview?

Cahir said:
Personally I much prefer beards on men so if it was me interviewing you then that might possibly make me more inclined to give you the job!

Yay - I'm not the only one! :D

ClubMan said:
That article/survey means nothing in isolation.

Indeed. It is just one example of a well documented prejudice. Why leave it to chance, unless one's determination to fight against "beardism" outweighs one's desire to get the job.

The beard can always be grown back later.

gar123 said:
i was offered a jb with a popular ameriacn car rental agency and was offered the job but then they mentioned they forgot that the policy was no facial hair
Not even eyebrows/eyelashes? :confused:

I hope you have enough time to shave it off if that's you decision, as a ravaged face or neck could look really dodgy, feel really irritated and you'd be hugely disconcerted during the interview. I'd also make my decision either way in plenty of time for you to have forgotten about it otherwise you are going into the interview somewhat distracted.

I say you should turn up unshaven in a Chuck Norris tee-shirt, fix them with a steely glare, and roundhouse-kick the first one that raises an eyebrow. :cool:

[broken link removed]

extopia said:
[broken link removed] is just one of many articles which suggest that you'd be better off getting rid of the beard. US context, mind, but things are not so different here, I would feel.

I lived in New York for 13 years up to last september , could be a factor?

icantbelieve said:
I hope you have enough time to shave it off if that's you decision, as a ravaged face or neck could look really dodgy, feel really irritated and you'd be hugely disconcerted during the interview. I'd also make my decision either way in plenty of time for you to have forgotten about it otherwise you are going into the interview somewhat distracted.

After a sever trim this evening the average length is 3mm (it was about 12mm)but it will grow back soon , I wanted to see how low could i go as i dont expect to be going for interview for a few weeks and will look at different lengths for neatness . I am lucky i have a young looking face and good skin according to my wife.

Do your inlaws live in the US too? They are doing most of the urging (apart from your wife), right?

Spent a long time in the US myself and it can be difficult to adjust during the first year or two back.

It's difficult to determine how much US thinking goes on in Ireland, but in my experience the corporate culture here is not as different as some would like to believe. I gather you are going for a public service job so that might be a different kettle of fish.

Bottom line though, why leave it to chance? Might as well eliminate any potential negative factors that you can do something about. If you get the job you can have a laugh about it later with the boss.

I wish you luck and please let us know how you get on.

Family are here as is my wife .

that was the exact nature of my original question as i am not up to speed with corporate culture and in particular my US slanted views good or bad ,right or wrong .

The Public Service hiring pratices that i am not familiar with and Irish perceptions that i dont know about. I want to put my best foot forward .

ClubMan said:
OK - you are joking right? Disney is the only employer that I ever heard of having a no beards rule and I think that they were forced to drop it a few years ago. Maybe the likes of Intel don't allow beards for engineers working in their clean rooms but I doubt it. Other than that I can't see how it makes any difference. Best case it won't matter. Worst case it will but then do you really want to work for somebody who draws conclusions about a candidate's suitability from the fact that they wear a beard (or not)?!

You cant have a beard in the Guards either

Somemen grow beards for religious reasons. Would it be fair (or legal) to discriminate against them. Sikhs, for instance are the only group in England who are allowed drive a motor bike without a helmet, but then they can also carry swords with them at all times!! How would women feel if they were told they could only work for a certain company if they cut their hair. We wouldn't tolerate it!

Back