Just discovered that our garage is not compliant with the planning permission granted

Questions:
1 : Where does the original Planning Permission say the Garage should be, I don't know if this has been checked yet ?
2 : If the Garage is were the Planning Permission documentation says it should be and the Planning Permission granted, then does that not over ride the 1m rule?

Clarification of Planning Time Limit

I have been reading this thread. I am interested as we discovered that our neighbours house was built on part of our site, which we purchased after theirs was completed.
We made application through a planning engineer to the Council for a decision. We were informed by the Council that the 7 years had elapsed and they had no longer any right to enforce planning conditions on our neighbour. We were willing to make a compremise consisting of getting our neighbour to close a window which, because of the change of compliance, overlooks our garden.
We are worried that should we sell our home in the future we should have difficulty with the site details.
The Council was very definite that the 7 years was the time limit that applied, they have given us this in writing.
Could anybody advise. Browtal

What advice are you looking for browtal?

The Council has stated that it's too late for anything to be done.

I have been reading this thread.
(snip)

Hi browtal,

There is a lot of information you're not presenting to us, including the date of the application, commencement and completion of your neighbour's house, etc.
The main question that needs to be answered is why your building professional didn't spot the trespass on your title when you bought the house.
Here you may not have a leg to stand on, because the house was already built before you bought your own house.
Did you not retain someone to inspect the property, a competent building professional acting on your behalf?

As for addressing a matter of planning through an engineer, they're fine on their own ground, but my advice is that you'd be better with an archtitect who has specialized in planning law.
Please read posts 4 and 5 of this thread where this matter is dealt with in retail, with initial pithy and accurate comment from Superman [Post #4].
It is followed by quotations from the relevant legislation in support of what Superman posted by me, ONQ [Post #5].

In your case it appears that the council may be in error.

Assuming that the part of the house that is on your land was coverd by a permission originally, i.e. not unauthorised and not exempted development, it seems you should have five years from the expiry of the grant, i.e. 7 + 5 = 12 years in all, in which action can be taken.

Please read the posts referred to above and put any questions arising to us in this thread.
You should retain a competent building professional to advise you and represent your interest to the Council.
There may also be a private legal strategy you might avail of, but it will require going to court after engaging a solicitor.

Normally legal action is statute barred under general legislation after 6 years, and it remain to see how the Court will interpret planning legislation after such a long time has elapsed.

In relation to the window, is this within 1M of the boundary and so non-compliant, was it covered by the original permission, or is this a bit of horse-trading against the issue of trespass?

It looks like you may need an architect, a solicitor and a rectification of title to sort out the trespass, if you cannot resolve the trespass as part of the planning issue - i.e. get his house off your land.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

I have been reading this thread. I am interested as we discovered that our neighbours house was built on part of our site, which we purchased after theirs was completed.
We made application through a planning engineer to the Council for a decision. We were informed by the Council that the 7 years had elapsed and they had no longer any right to enforce planning conditions on our neighbour. We were willing to make a compremise consisting of getting our neighbour to close a window which, because of the change of compliance, overlooks our garden.
We are worried that should we sell our home in the future we should have difficulty with the site details.
They have 7 years from 5 years after the date of Grant of Permission -i.e. until year 12 after the grant of Permission.

There may also be legal issues involved. If the house is built on your land, they may be trespassing, and you can get them to remove it. You have 12 years for this, before they get adverse possession. (Note however the time limit stated above for Council Proceedings. If they have correctly followed procedure, 12 years has already passed).
There may also be issues regarding easements (your neighbour's right to light). Basically, you may be able to block your neighbours window. Easements take 20-30 years to form (depending on type) or are created in a legal document.

Talk to your solicitor.

Many thanks for your help.
We are now prepared to leave things as they are, as the 12 years since their planning permission was granted has passed. We did however make our claim to the planning department before that time had elapsed and the planning department notified us, in writing, that the 5 years was all we were allowed to make our submission. Perhaps we should clarify with the department that the time is 12 years and not 5 as they told us.
We are concerned that if we should decide to sell our property would this affect the title. Our solicitor was aware of the situation when we purchased the site. He said it would make no difference.
We had endless hastle with the neighbour from the time we purchased the site. They objected to our raising the diviiding wall to the recommended height. We took the easy route and thought when they would get to know us and found that we were 'ok neighbours' they would be more neighbourly.
They have caused us much heartache calling the guards to complain about our dog being loose in our garedn and a threat to their small child, in their garden. When the guards would not act on their complaint they called the dog warden, who also told us that she would not be back as the complaint was groundless. Nevertheless the bad feeling is not nice to live with.
Many thanks for your help. Browtal.

Browtal,

Read my sig disclaimer below - I composed it both to protect myself when giving advice in a public forum and to protect the recipients of that advice.

You have had limited advice based on giving us a limited amount of information - that's all.

Five years used to be the time allowed for local authorities to take action against unauthorised development, written into planning law in the 1994 Planning and Development Regulations if I recall correctly.

This in turn - if memory serves - was a recognition of a High Court Decision where a local authority took an enforcement action against an advertiser who owned a hoarding - the Judge ruled that they had had plenty of time in which to act and failed to do so before five years had elapsed.

The Planning and Development Act 2000 revisited the Judges ruling in three ways.

1. The new limit for taking action against unauthorised development is 7 years, not five, from the date its erected.

2. The new limit for taking action against development built in a non-compliant manner consequent on permission is effectively 12 years from the date of grant, although given the time taken for the development to be built, it till be less than 12 years from the date of completion.

3. There is no limit for taking action against an unauthorised use of land, for example mining or quarrying, and I suppose this might cover dumping and pollution, although this is covered under the Waster Management Act and the EPA Legislation IIRC.

So the Council may well have been correct - at one point it was five years from the date of the offence.

In relation to Certification by a professional, the statute of limitations applies and as far as I know that limits your taking legal action to 6 years from the date of the certificate, 12 years if it was issued "under seal" - a very unusual thing in a private housing estate.

Whatever about easements, adverse possession may be claimed by the adjoining owners.
Having built on the land they occupy it and may have developed a secure claim to it after more than 12 years.
You may find this link from the Land Registry website useful - click the accept button below the disclaimer to proceed.

http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/Prac...tle_By_Adverse_Possession_To_Registered_Land/

See Section 3 - Statute of Limitations

There are some "outs" - fraud, mistake or disability.
Fraud IIRC runs from the date on which it is discovered.

In your case you knew of this at some point a good while ago.
We still don't know when you first discovered the trespass.
We still don't know when you reported it to the Council.
Without these facts we cannot offer precise advice.

In terms of selling your property, we know that a piece of the adjoining house was built on it.
If the work was done 12 years ago, you may have little chance of redress - but we just don't know
You don't seem to have the legal standing to challenge any adverse possession claim they might make.
If your solicitor issues a deed of rectification ceding the land to them there may be no problem with your sale.

There are new laws coming into place every year, which you should be very aware of dealing with neighbours like the one you describe.

http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/Legi...land_and_conveyancing_law_reform_act_2009.pdf

Look at Chapter 3 - Party structures
Depending on whether you are doing the work or your neighbour is, the provisions in this section can work for or against you.
The provision to levy a charge against your neighbour for benefits accruing from works you do will no doubt generate a lot of business in the Four Goldmines.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Hello ONQ. I would like to express my gratitude to you for all the information which you provided.
At this stage it would be too difficult to establish whether we would have any rights as their house was built 13 years ago. We did build with the knowledge that the neighbours house was built on part of our garden.What we did not know until 3 years ago was the extent of the liberty they took with their building. 3 years ago they applied to build an extension and when we went to see the plans at the Co Councils office we then saw the extent of the imposition. Up to that point we thought there was only a few feet in question. The position of their house takes from the appearance of our house as it is only about 10 feet from our house gable wall, with their window looking into our garden. All of the other houses in the estate have a lot of space at both sides of their property.
The only way we would have rights now I think is to take action against the planning department for rejecting our appeal incorrectely on the basis of the limitation having been passed. While I would like to have them acknowledge their mistake we have no desire to proceed with legal action, life is not worth that.
Our only concern now is would we or our family have a problem selling our property.
I am most grateful to you for taking such time to reply. If we had known there were professionals who could help us at the time we would have dealt with it differently.
Many thanks Browtal

Yeah, you;re very welcome Browtal, but the only way for you to have really "succeeded" was not to buy in the first place.
Few Courts will order the demolition of the family home when there is an equitable remedy available by way of financial compensation.
More importantly you would have to have been seen to act to mitigate your loss and that means taking action as soon a you became aware of it.
However as I say, the only real action was not to buy, and you failed to avail of that. :)

Privacy of overlooking is another matter, and if this window was inserted later there would have been ample time to address it within the seven year period that came in with the Planning and Development Act 2000.
BTW, for buildings built 13 years ago, there were three years or so in which the five year rule would have applied, but my understanding of the way the law works is that once the new Act came in the transgression was then governed under the 7 year rule.
There may have been a gray area where houses built more than 5 years before the Act came into force were subject to a five year rule and therefore free from enforcement action on the Monday [say] but as soon as the new Act came in there was another two years to go if unauthorised, or seven if part of a permission!

Odd, but there you go.

Anyway, part of the reason people like me post to AAM is to offer this kind of advice since there seems to be a huge dearth of knowledge out there on such small scale and specific matters as private residential developments.
And since most of us live in private residences, whether rented or owned, there are a huge number of people out there who don't know their rights.
BTW, if you have 10feet to play with, you could consider a line of trees.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back