Jack most popular name

dewdrop

When i was born i was named John. People thus named were often referred to as Jack, Jackie, Johnnie etc. When did the name Jack become, more or less, a seperate name.

Jack has been at or near the top of these lists since I started paying attention to them about 12 years ago.

I can't believe new parents aren't totally sick of that name by now. There must be about ten Jacks growing up on every street in Ireland. Likewise Sarah and Emma seem to be names that have been popular for years and, although they're very pretty names, surely people are sick of them by now. Sophie also seems to be reaching saturation point.

.. Likewise Sarah and Emma seem to be names that have been popular for years and, although they're very pretty names, surely people are sick of them by now. Sophie also seems to be reaching saturation point.

+ Rachel

Jack has been at or near the top of these lists since I started paying attention to them about 12 years ago.

Yeah, you wonder is it just a fashion thing. How does a particular name become popular?
On the CSO list, it mentions that Michaela is a new entrant on the top 100. Is that related to the fact it was Mickey Harte's daughters name and its been in the news?

Even amongst our friends, know loads of Emily/Emma and Sean and Connor and I see they are in top 5 on list.

I'm surprised to see Clodagh and Aine in the top 100 for girls. I would have thought those names were long out of fashion, especially Clodagh.

When did the name Jack become, more or less, a seperate name.

Similarly, Kate/Katie registered instead for Kathleen/Katherine. Ditto Jamie for James, Sam for Samuel.

And what happened in 2007 to boost Jayden from #305 in 2006 to #85 in 2007 ?

Irish names are best, especially if a very Irish surname. Whether its a D4 stereotype popularised by Ross O'Carroll-Kelly or not, but the Irish names thing should not be extended to Fionn, Fiachra etc., anything that sounds like you're trying to hard. :)

On the CSO list, it mentions that Michaela is a new entrant on the top 100. Is that related to the fact it was Mickey Harte's daughters name and its been in the news?

Probably

Some other observations

Lexi has gone from No.620 in 2006 to No.92 in 2011, presumably due to Greys Anatomy while Mason has gone from 418 to 70 (maybe another TV program that I'm not cool enough to know about)

Mary is No. 69 (from 52) and could possibly slip out of the top 100 in 10 years time

Zuzanna has gone from 343 to 73. I believe this is the common Eastern European variation of Susanna which could explain this move.

Lily hits the Top 5 (from 42 in 2006) - another celeb or tv phenomenon?

Harry up to No.8 (from 41 in 2006) - now the more fanciable prince (or so I am told!)

As mentioned above, Jayden goes from 305 in 2006 down to No.50 - Britney Spears had her Jayden in Sep-2006. Jayden is now No.8 in the USA list of baby names (was outsdie the top 1000 pre-1994)

Here's the most popular baby names in the USA in 1911 (top 20 girls includes Dorothy (4), Mildred (8), Frances (10), Ethel (15), Gladys (18) while the boys doesn't really have any that would be considered "old-fashioned" even today IMO)

http://www.babycenter.com/popularBabyNames.htm?year=1911

Irish names are best, especially if a very Irish surname. Whether its a D4 stereotype popularised by Ross O'Carroll-Kelly or not, but the Irish names thing should not be extended to Fionn, Fiachra etc., anything that sounds like you're trying to hard. :)

I have to say, I find a lot of Irish names very boring (my own name included).

Probably

Some other observations

Lexi has gone from No.620 in 2006 to No.92 in 2011, presumably due to Greys Anatomy while Mason has gone from 418 to 70 (maybe another TV program that I'm not cool enough to know about)

Mary is No. 69 (from 52) and could possibly slip out of the top 100 in 10 years time

Zuzanna has gone from 343 to 73. I believe this is the common Eastern European variation of Susanna which could explain this move.

Lily hits the Top 5 (from 42 in 2006) - another celeb or tv phenomenon?

Harry up to No.8 (from 41 in 2006) - now the more fanciable prince (or so I am told!)

As mentioned above, Jayden goes from 305 in 2006 down to No.50 - Britney Spears had her Jayden in Sep-2006. Jayden is now No.8 in the USA list of baby names (was outsdie the top 1000 pre-1994)

Here's the most popular baby names in the USA in 1911 (top 20 girls includes Dorothy (4), Mildred (8), Frances (10), Ethel (15), Gladys (18) while the boys doesn't really have any that would be considered "old-fashioned" even today IMO)

http://www.babycenter.com/popularBabyNames.htm?year=1911

The names on the American girls' list are really dated. A lot of them are what I would consider 'Mammy' names ie old fashioned but not old fashioned enough to be quaint or quirky. Names like Pauline, Marie, Irene, Evelyn and Edna.

Thats really very interesting. My own name, which is not that popular, is the subject of a family story as to the reason it was chosen to do with it being some Princesses name in a film.

However, I note in the year of my birth, it reached dizzying heights in popularity in the US - in the top 50, whereas in the past 10 years its barely gotten past the top 1000.

I know my brother was named after a famous actor whose first and surnames could both be used as first names - apparently there were 8 baby boys in the hospital at the same time with one of his names.

Thats really very interesting. My own name, which is not that popular, is the subject of a family story as to the reason it was chosen to do with it being some Princesses name in a film.

Is your name buttercup after the Princess in the Princess Bride?

.... while Mason has gone from 418 to 70 (maybe another TV program that I'm not cool enough to know about)

.....Lily hits the Top 5 (from 42 in 2006) - another celeb or tv phenomenon?

Mason, my other half tells me, is the name of Kim Kardashian's brother!!! Why you'd call your son such a name, I don;t know but there's no accounting for taste!

Lily...you have Lily Allen, the singer...and did'nt some celeb have a girl called Lily Peaches or the like a couple of years ago

Back