Is there such a thing as a 'decent' magazine?

After McCalls went to the wall I went over to Harper's Bazaar. More recently Harper's as well. Here I subscribe to The Week and buy some of the others occasionally if the front cover attracts me. Cosmo, Marie Claire and suchlike are for the under 40s :(:eek:;). Got The Oldie once and began to nod off while reading the first paragraph.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone has mentioned "Readers Digest" yet - I used to read it years ago and thought it was always interesting.

[broken link removed]

I notice that they have 'plus applicable sales tax' in the small print, so I'm not sure if that means there's another 21.5% on it or not. Still even at that, it comes to about €3.20 an issue, which is clearly way better than the €5.85 I paid.

The magazine hunt update so far ....

Thumbs up to Vanity Fair. Great articles, minimal celebrity/style stuff, no sport. If it had some more reviews, I'd be completely sold but it's definitely not in the same bracket as Cosmo or Vogue or Marie Claire or Harpers Bazaar. I don't even know how I came to the conclusion it was now.

I got the Sunday Times again and it is just too big and too piecemeal for me. I know they are trying to put in all the disparate bits and pieces that suit me and others but more of it ends up in the wheelie bin than anywhere else.

The FT weekend edition is a good suggestion also. I've gotten it before and although I felt very poor looking at the ads, it's still a good concise option. I'd forgotten about Readers' Digest. I used to love this when my mam subscribed and it would last forever and ever. It is definitely worth another look.

My local Easons, which seems to me to have any amount of magazines on all kinds of esoteric stuff (train sets to Der Spiegel), doesn't have Harpers or The Atlantic but I am not deterred and will keep searching for them.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone :)

[broken link removed]

My local Easons, which seems to me to have any amount of magazines on all kinds of esoteric stuff (train sets to Der Spiegel), doesn't have Harpers or The Atlantic but I am not deterred and will keep searching for them.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone :)

you won't find the Atlantic in Easons, but you can subscribe $39.50 for 10 issues
[broken link removed]

Back