Is there such a thing as a 'decent' magazine?

MissRibena

I know the question is subjective but for years I've been trying to find a magazine or journal that hits the right spot. I thought I'd try AAM seeing as so many people find the answers to lots of unlikely questions here and of course you are all such a well-read, cultured and informed lot :). Magazines are expensive but I would be prepared to pay for one if it fit the bill.

Basically, I'd like a magazine that contains some of the following:

Good reviews for current books (fiction & non-fiction), film, music and TV. All the better if it also includes discussion or recommendations from the 'classics' that might spur me onto pick up something I would otherwise miss.
Articles covering topics on current political/international affairs, economics, history, art (not just YBAs), philosophy technology and a general alround humanist (in the rennaisance sense) approach. Clearly they would not need to be covered in every single issue but
Interviews on the odd occasion with people who have something interesting to say, like, say Martin Sheen.
The odd cartoon is acceptable but only if it is good.
The icing on the cake would be a slight feminist tinge (I realise this is unlikely as it is usually full duck or no dinner when you go down that road).

I do NOT want in my magazine:
Any clothes, make-up, hair etc. 'style' suggestions
Tips on dieting, cooking
Celebrity updates or soapwatch
A completely dry take on things or a publication restricted to a particlar area like Newsweek or the Economist

Basically I think I'm after very good edition of one of the better Sunday supplements but bigger and better than the ones I know (maybe I'm missing one?). I've tried the Economists 'Intelligent Life' magazine and this is the closest I've come but I still found it a bit flat.

So any suggestions or is there such a thing at all?

Cosmopolitan may have once ticked those boxes - not so sure now.

(Is it even still going?)

The Sunday Times + all supplements should cover most of your requirements MissRibena with the possible exception of the feminist angle. Although it's probably more unwieldy than you would have liked.

... The Sunday Times + all supplements should cover most of your requirements MissRibena with the possible exception of the feminist angle. Although it's probably more unwieldy than you would have liked.
+1, but maybe skip the Style section apart from the AA Gill and Mrs Mills columns.

Basically, I'd like a magazine that contains some of the following:

Good reviews for current books (fiction & non-fiction), film, music and TV. All the better if it also includes discussion or recommendations from the 'classics' that might spur me onto pick up something I would otherwise miss.
Articles covering topics on current political/international affairs, economics, history, art (not just YBAs), philosophy technology and a general alround humanist (in the rennaisance sense) approach. Clearly they would not need to be covered in every single issue but
Interviews on the odd occasion with people who have something interesting to say, like, say Martin Sheen.
The odd cartoon is acceptable but only if it is good.
The icing on the cake would be a slight feminist tinge (I realise this is unlikely as it is usually full duck or no dinner when you go down that road).

I thought I'd try AAM seeing as so many people find the answers to lots of unlikely questions here and of course you are all such a well-read, cultured and informed lot

Speaking as one of the well-read, cultured and informed lot, you can get all of this in the weekend editions of the major UK newspapers.

The only magazines to which it is worth subscribing IMHO are Scientific American http://www.scientificamerican.com/ ; GEO http://www.*****ashop.fr/boutique/pms/marque_Accueil.jsp?idRayon=8549& ;and Investors Chronicle http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/ . Monocle and Forbes are interesting but really airport reading. You could throw in Foreign Affairs and the Economist if you are a leftist.

Maybe I've led a secluded life for the past 30 years, but when did Martin Sheen ever have anyting intresting to say?

There are some very good American magazines to which you can subscribe to over here quite cheaply.

The Atlantic is excellent for Politics, international affairs and more humanist areas from a liberal (and obviously American) perspective
New York Review of books for literary issues
The Smithsonian Magazine which tends to have a more varied approach then National Geographic

You should be able to subscribe to any of these via their websites and the costs are quite cheap, The Atlantic cost me something like $35 to renew this year

... but when did Martin Sheen ever have anyting intresting to say?
When he's down around Ardcroney, Kilbarron, Borrisokane, visiting the Phelans and when involved in anti-war and other social activist initiatives.

Thanks everyone.

I do get the Sunday Times (sometimes and the Guardian on a Saturday and the Irish Sunday ones) and they are all ok in their own way but don't have enough to keep me going for more than an afternoon in one volume. Once upon a time the Telegraph Magazine (Saturday) used to be brilliant but the content has really gone down hill in the last five years.

Cosmopolitan has too much fashion, sex-life/relationship stuff for my liking, although I know it's not all that. Marie-Claire falls into that category too. I was lumping Vanity Fair in with this lot but I'm definitely going to give it a go after a look at the website.

I gave Martin Sheen as an off-the-top-of-my-head example of a 'celebrity' that is bit less fluffy than usual.

It seems most magazines are very specific to one topic - here's a link to the type you're talking about:

Thanks Mel - that's the problem alright.

I noticed your link has 'The Oldie' on it which wasn't bad either but slightly odd and not very 'newsy'.

i get vanity fair and recently it's had some excellent articles on the financial crisis, madoff ponzi scheme etc whilst also having some good entertainment articles too, well worth getting.

I wouldnt go for Cosmo if you're looking for quality, etc. Plus its full of fashion.

I like Vanity Fair, they have some great interviews.

Sold on Vanity Fair - I'm off to get a copy for the weekend. Have to say that despite all the lofty notions above, an interview with Johnny Depp is very appealing ;). Hopefully it will live up to expectations and if it does according to their website it's only $43 p.a. to get it delivered to my door! Great tip about the online subscription Mpsox - thanks.

It has a good glossy cover too so should hold up to reading in the bath - heaven. The e-readers have a way to go on that front yet ...

I really like National Geographic but perhaps it could be found to be not wide-ranging enough. Still it's a good read once a month and good value too (you can order it online and have it delivered).

I agree on Vanity Fair and harpers bazzar – both of which I read in the hair dressers.

I was a fan of In style as it was just hair clothes make up and for a while it was the only one I paid for. Now I just steal them off my sister.

Cosmo is awful I often wonder who reads its and if they do why.

Cosmo is truly horrendous.

For a light read I like Red. But I don't think you will find everything you are looking for in just one publication. Sadly you'll need to buy a cross section of mags/papers.

I used to read New Scientist, The Economist, various Law publications, The Sunday Times, The Sunday Independent ( this is some years ago), Marie Claire and anything else that took my fancy on the news stand.

Now I have children and I read the Sunday Times and Red and on-line newspapers plus professional journals and have no time for anything else so it reminds me how much luxury time really is. Enjoy!

The Atlantic is excellent for Politics, international affairs and more humanist areas from a liberal (and obviously American) perspective
New York Review of books for literary issues

Second the recommendation of The Atlantic, prescient coverage of emerging political issues, great writers and highly readable, I never end up skipping an article which is high praise.

Harper's (http://www.harpers.org/ (Note: not 'Harper's Bazaar' which would be more of the usual fashion/celebrity) is also good, lighter in tone than The Atlantic but arguably with more US-focused topics.

Both of these have fairly liberal American outlooks and would include coverage of feminist topics & writers.

Second the recommendation of The Atlantic, prescient coverage of emerging political issues, great writers and highly readable, I never end up skipping an article which is high praise.

Harper's (http://www.harpers.org/ (Note: not 'Harper's Bazaar' which would be more of the usual fashion/celebrity) is also good, lighter in tone than The Atlantic but arguably with more US-focused topics.

Both of these have fairly liberal American outlooks and would include coverage of feminist topics & writers.

Second both these recommendations although I prefer Harper's to
The Atlantic. It certainly has a more literary bent but I would disagree that it is lighter in tone than the Atlantic.
Current issue
http://www.harpers.org/archive/2009/07
Lots of good stuff also in the weekend FT
Regards

Back