Is the Irish Financial Services industry male-dominated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly off topic but having graduated from Computer Applications, NIHED in the late '80s from a class split more or less 50:50 on gender lines, I have subsequently found that all of the engineering roles in which I have worked have been male dominated for some reason.

irish financial service will be indian dominated in years to come. the banks are recruiting graduates in india for jobs currently done in ireland such as back office in funds etc.

bearishbull said:
irish financial service will be indian dominated in years to come. the banks are recruiting graduates in india for jobs currently done in ireland such as back office in funds etc.

Not to my knowledge. Is this your view based on personal experience? I work in financial services and know plenty of other people who do otherwise, and have not heard of this anywhere.

CCOVICH said:
Not to my knowledge. Is this your view based on personal experience? I work in financial services and know plenty of other people who do otherwise, and have not heard of this anywhere.

jp morgan and many others are recruiting graduates in india for their financial and IT jobs(google yourself for further details),when they have a good set up down there the jobs will flow,no jobs have currently left dublin for india but its obvious that they will when people are equally qualified and cost one sixth of the price.financial services is very labour intensive (50% expenses are labour) so cheap qualified labour is highly attractive.

Nothing is that obvious to me. Ireland is ahead of many countries on the learning curve when it comes to financial services, especially funds. We also have the advantage of being in a GMT timezone, well educated workforce etc.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic about it. JP Morgan are not a huge employer in Ireland. More fund companies have set up or expanded in Ireland in the past 12 months than have left (have any left?). 4 of the biggest (on a market cap basis) Irish plcs are banks, and are not controlled by overseas parents.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I just don't see the evidence to say it will to the extent you are predicting at this stage.

Anyway, this is veering off the original topic. If it is to continue, we would be better setting up a new one.

POV: I work as an engineer, and have frequently been the only woman in a (large) meeting, have never yet had an issue with discrimination, although sometimes I will do it to myself eg. flip my hair and ask if any of the big strong boys will carry the pump for me - everyone has a laugh and the job gets done without me straining my back.

However on pay parity... study after study shows that women are behind the curve with pay. I can't provide personal details as people are so cagey with hourly rates etc.

On childcare/ work life balance... haven't come to this crux yet but in general the paternity leave seems to be quite good, just that men tend not to take full advantage of it. Would I take time out to pop sprogs? Certainly. Afterward I'd prefer to stagger my work hours and work 4 10-hour days to manage child care. I think Ireland could take a leaf in general from Europe with regard to flexible working arrangements for both parents. Childcare is a society-wide issue, not just a feminist one.

Women not interested in finance? Come off it. Most households that I know of (personal poll) women organise the budget and day-to-day spend split, whereas savings, investments, mortgages would be discussed jointly.

I don't agree that it's extremely unfortunate. Having a child is a choice. Why shouldn't the women who choose career over kids earn more money? why shouldn't the men who stay late in the office while the working mothers go home early earn more money? My wife has done better than she would have if she took time out to have children. So she earns more than women who spend half their time working and the other half thinking about the kids.

Well Podgerodge I pose the question - Having a career is a choice - Why shouldn't women who choose to have kids over career earn more money?
The answer is rearing kids is not thought to be an important contribution to society or business. And that is why I guess so many parents seem to abandon their responsibilities to their children in favour of earning money or status or whatever is it your wife has attained.

Define: futility = resurrecting a 21 month old thread to restart an argument.

Define: futility = resurrecting a 21 month old thread to restart an argument.
There is nothing necessarily untoward with somebody posting in and old thread if they have something relevant to say within the posting guidelines. noilheart's post would qualify. Not sure about your's.

There is nothing necessarily untoward with somebody posting in and old thread if they have something relevant to say within the posting guidelines. noilheart's post would qualify. Not sure about your's.
But I didn't say it was against the posting guidelines or untoward, just that it was futile.

In an effort to stay on topic and having re-read the thread, I would say that the argument raised by noilheart has been adequately dealt with in previous posts. Not that I disagree with the point that noilheart has made, just that it is old ground and that a new topic on the current state of gender discrimination in the workplace would elicit wider responses without having to wade through four pages of historical comments.

wheter it is male dominated or not is a little academic now as it is going to start shedding serious jobs, an awful lot of fat has been added in the boom years when cash and liquidity were plentiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back