Is Pat Kenny about to go as host of Late Late Show?

Re: Is the Plank about to go?

I don't have a problem with Pat Kenny. Does'nt it all boil down to the guests on the night and peoples personal choices.

And knowing RTEs penchant for incestuous guesting even if Pat Kenny isnt presenting no doubt he will be a guest at some point anyway.

Think Pat is Ok on the factual or political discussion but is useless when he has to interview a comedian or singer. Sounds like he doesn't give a damn about the guest (probably doesn't) and just sticks to a list of pre-arranged questions and doesn't let the conversation flow (like Parkinson did). doesn't deserve the salary he gets for the viewing figures it generates.

I don't have a problem with Pat Kenny. Does'nt it all boil down to the guests on the night and peoples personal choices. If for example you have a lot of sporting guests on a show, that will interest a whole lot of people then the people who have no interest in sport are going to find it quite boring. If you have Daniel O'Donnell on for an hour that well go down great with some and not with others.

It doesn't for me. No matter who the guest is, Pat Kenny will ruin it. There were threads on this before, he's just not a good interviewer. (ETA: Fobbs beat me to it - my opinion is the same)

Think Pat is Ok on the factual or political discussion but is useless when he has to interview a comedian or singer. Sounds like he doesn't give a damn about the guest (probably doesn't) and just sticks to a list of pre-arranged questions and doesn't let the conversation flow (like Parkinson did). doesn't deserve the salary he gets for the viewing figures it generates.

That guy Parkinson just wrecked my head.

Well - not so much the guy himself (although he was a large part of it) - but the whole vibe from the show used annoy me.

Gaybo was the best of the lot unquestionably.

Gaybo was the best of the lot unquestionably.

He was very smooth & the consummate professional alright but personally, I couldn't stand him.

I thought he was smug, egotistical, patronising and simply annoying on many occasions.

I know what you mean about Parky, but I'd take his gentlemanly "folksiness" over Gaybo anytime thanks. ;)

Do ye remember the time a few months ago when Chris De Burgh came on the late late and sang a song.
And at the end of the song pat approached him and next thing de burgh started going on about how pat gets a lot of bad press and he is actually a really good guy.

I gotta say - I felt sorry for pat then.
He was clearly - and not surprisingly - completely embarrassed.

Like - why would de burgh start bringing up bad stuff like that about pat on live tv?

That de burgh fella is clearly some clown.

Like - why would de burgh start bringing up bad stuff like that about pat on live tv?

That de burgh fella is clearly some clown.

Worse again is listening to his daughter wondering if she and her father were married to each other in a previous life :(

WOuld like to se Gaybo back. This mornings examiner has released the results so far - showing [broken link removed]!

Worse again is listening to his daughter wondering if she and her father were married to each other in a previous life :(

I missed that one.

What was that about?

I gotta say - I felt sorry for pat then.
I would never feel sorry for Pat Kenny - look at all the licence payers money he gets. While Kenny is away half the time on fancy holidays he does not feel sorry for you or me.

I would never feel sorry for Pat Kenny - look at all the licence payers money he gets. While Kenny is away half the time on fancy holidays he does not feel sorry for you or me.

Gotta question RTE on that one - i was not as though they needed Kenny to make the show a success - he was afterall riding on Gaybo's coat tails. There wee plenty others who could make that a success without earning whopping money. Hopefully the same clown who decided on Pat Kenny has left RTE - else Gerry Ryan could be selected! Perish the thought!

WOuld like to se Gaybo back. This mornings examiner has released the results so far - showing [broken link removed]!

Not a biased paper at all then :) Bill O'Herlihy is a bigger plank than Kenny. He's been rubbish at the football coverage since he started and is only there as a referee between the 3 stooges across from him.

How about doing a rotating presenting role - some show on BBC did that - never mind the buzzcocks or something, i cant remember. Good idea though?

How about doing a rotating presenting role - some show on BBC did that - never mind the buzzcocks or something, i cant remember. Good idea though?

Buzzcocks did briefly, I think. But Have I got News for You has been doing it a good while (since Angus Deayton got caught by the tabloids)

For a chat show, you could see the posible benefits of tailoring the presenter to suit the guests.....but you could see that going awry too!

That sounds very begrudging. If he is good at presenting the show and generates the viewers (and therefore the revenue) then he deserves what he gets paid. I think he is excellent at current affairs but useless at interviewing the lighter guests who are doing the circuit to plug their latest film/ album.

Then again I rarely watch the Late Late as the guests are rubbish.

(posted in the right place this time!)

And knowing RTEs penchant for incestuous guesting even if Pat Kenny isnt presenting no doubt he will be a guest at some point anyway.

Yep - probably he'd be the main guest on the first show explaining why he isn't doing it anymore.

What RTE should do is get the guy from Apres Match who impersonates him to do the show. He's bound to be cheaper!

Not a biased paper at all then :) Bill O'Herlihy is a bigger plank than Kenny. He's been rubbish at the football coverage since he started and is only there as a referee between the 3 stooges across from him.

Bill adds to the whole programme, he definitley has improved his football knowledge, but he realises who the stars of the show are and provides the perfect foil for them.

Bill adds to the whole programme, he definitley has improved his football knowledge, but he realises who the stars of the show are and provides the perfect foil for them.
Yes but he would be worse than useless as the host of a chat show.

I think our own Dr. Moriarty should take over. :D

The Late Late Show should have ended when Gay Byrne retired. He owned the show for so long, no matter who came in after him it wasn't going to work.

The Late Late Show should have ended when Gay Byrne retired. He owned the show for so long, no matter who came in after him it wasn't going to work.

It was barely working anymore when Gaybo called it a day, but Pat knows that the lack of imagination at RTE will try to keep it going "at all costs", and that keeps him well paid, courtesy of a large part of our licence fee. And it doesn't work at all now. End it now....please!

Back