Is it worth staying at work?

The OP is basing his calculations on the fact that his partner will get JB. This currently lasts a year. Then, she will have to apply from JA and you will both be means tested, assuming you live together ( which you either do, or will do when you get married), and then she is likely to get nothing, if you are earning,

I have no idea what she does, but will she be able to find other work at that stage ?but will she be happy with no job and no social welfare payment ?

how great the beach was today!!

What will they be ringing her about in the middle of January? How mind-numbingly boring and depressing it was to sit inside looking out at the rain?

As previously pointed out, a job is worth a lot more than the remuneration. IMHO its criminal, morally wrong and, to be bluntly honest, disgusting that she should be considering what she is. E30 a day is a significant sum of money to a lot of people. Over a working year, its a hell of a lot of money. Ye seem to be lucky enough to have a comfortable existence, how long would it take for this to erode if your partner were to use it to fund her lifestyle?

Maybe have a look into the future, the position ye are in today might not always be the case. Perhaps ye will have (maybe already do) have a family. Why not put the 'paltry' E30 a day into a fund for them to help give them the priveleged start in life that ye have enjoyed? And then consider how you would feel if they just got their hands on that money and decided 'To hell with work, I'll live off my parents' good intentions and hard work instead'.

FWIW

I don't know if the OP is even reading this post anymore but I don't think he should be putting so much emphasis on what her friends are doing. Giving up the job is a major decision and I think she and you should be independent enough to take this decision without comparing yourselves to people who are tossing about doing nothing. You don't really know what their situation is, maybe they are secretly wishing they had a job.
Unnecessarily claiming SW is not right especially when the country is broke and will come back to bite her when it comes to finding another job.

I will come at this from another angle. If you think her friends are off having a great time and not bothered or not actively seeking work why don't you do the country a favour and report them for benefit fraud.
If your partner is that unhappy in her work - which I can empathise with as I have been there and had to make major changes - she should look to do something else. Maybe even just a part time job or can she look to work less hours where she is even.
I don't agree that she should just give up work based on the fact that she will only be losing a small amount of money. But I can see where you are coming from as our system allows for this. Thus the system needs to change.

It is not even just a small amount of money. It is 30 euro per day, i.e. 7800 per year.

Apart from the questionable morality of claiming jobseekers when not jobseeking, there is a broader issue for consideration here. There is the question of whether it is actually good for the person to be at complete leisure, left to their own devices. There is a significant risk (depending on the personality) of the person becoming inward-focussed, self-obsessed, and unused to the normal give-and-take compromises that are part of the daily working environment.

Wow this thread really rubbed some people up...yes our financial situation has changed dramitically luckily(well not changed just some inheritiance was received before any deaths)..Baldyman raised some interesting points and I have to say my mind has changed due to his post...I guess i just got frustrated when the person you care about the most is struggling with work and people around her seem to b having a laught and enjoying themselves..but it was short sighted,she will stay on where she is and try to expand her hoirzons with some courses etc and look at other job opportunities

So everyone take a deep breath I still dont think I was wrong to raise this question and I apologize if i am not as morrally or socially correct as everyone else around here

Just be aware that if you are jointly assessed, after marriage, even though your wife might be receiving jobseekers benefit, you will be treated, from a taxation point of view, as a single income family.

As you say you don't have much money troubles and if this is still the case if she left her job and was not getting any SW then why would she want to claim job seekers benefit when she is not actually looking for a job.

I can understand people who would be in financial trouble if they where to lose their earnings who are so fed up in their job's where they might feel like they are been bullied,not appreciated etc doing this type of thing where they don't have any other source to pay a bill but if they stayed in their current job that there health would suffer and their family life.
But someone with no money worry's doing it just seems wrong to me.
But do get what you are legally entitled to,don't mind what others do but do what you think is right.

Easy solution, just do what thousands of couples do; don't get married and then milk the system.
Main earner; buy house and rent it to partner (after having child/children).
Partner claims rent allowance and milks the well meaning idiots in the StVDP etc for hand outs.
Main earner moved in anyway and in effect has mortgage paid by the state.
Children and mother get medical card etc so there is no need for private health insurance.

I regard welfare fraud (and tax evasion and insurance fraud) no differently to burglary or other forms of theft but I am fortunate enough to have a good job and be married to someone with a good job so any decisions about working the system is easier for us (so, like others, we can pontificate with impunity). For those who are only slightly better off working and see their neighbours on welfare with a standard of living much the same as theirs (due to their milking of the system) it must be utterly maddening.

The the OP; are you better off working? Yes, because work gives one so much more then money.

You know, sometimes it is. You tend to think, why the hell do we bother? But then you remember that you have pride and social responsibility, and you feel better.
Good for you, you are dead right of course.

You know, sometimes it is. You tend to think, why the hell do we bother? But then you remember that you have pride and social responsibility, and you feel better.
Good point. Yes I am glad that I have a job and hope to keep it-in these uncertain times, who knows. But with pay freezes, pay cuts on the way plus all the assorted levies and taxes, there are times when it all becomes very disheartening. You see others around who seem to have the same standard of living as yourself without having to work and that is why this particular post gave me a bit of heart again. And yes, I am quite certain that the majority of people would prefer to work than to be unemployed but there is no doubt that there are those who 'milk' the system thoroughly-and probably always have done so.
Going back to the OP, I also think that is a good idea re expanding horizons through further studies etc and it has put me thinking about what I could do also, so thanks for that, and best of luck with the wedding.

Your OH could ask work to cut her hours so that she would only work part time. This would mean less stress and more time for further study etc. Alternatively she could ask for a few wks unpaid leave coming up to the weddings so she is relaxed etc.

I know that planning a wedding and working 40+ hrs a week is very hard. I left my job a few wks before the wedding, as I couldn't get time off for the honeymoon (wanted 3 wks hols). I got another job a few wks after coming back.

I would be careful about voluntarily leaving a job in this climate, as it could be hard to get another one. If your wife is sick with stress maybe she could get doctor to sign her off for a few wks and then go back to work part time

Back