Is it worth staying at work?

Ok maybe I am lookign at this the wroing way,maybe im just annoyed that her friends are nearly 'earning' as much as her,and ringing her at night telling her how great the beach was today!!while she comes home to me tellign me how stressed she is from work!!

To be honest I dont think its goiing to be an issue anyway as it looks like her employer will actually be closing down and yes she will be looking for other work - but morally right or wrong,if its not better paid than her current job my advice will be not to take it

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but if her employment does close and she decides not to look for other work for a while, she should 'sign on' for credits to keep her contributions up to date.

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but if her employment does close and she decides not to look for other work for a while, she should 'sign on' for credits to keep her contributions up to date.

But there is no reference to her employer closing!!!

To be honest I dont think its goiing to be an issue anyway as it looks like her employer will actually be closing down and yes she will be looking for other work - but morally right or wrong,if its not better paid than her current job my advice will be not to take it[/quote]

I know its Friday but .......... !!

Ok maybe I am lookign at this the wroing way,maybe im just annoyed that her friends are nearly 'earning' as much as her,and ringing her at night telling her how great the beach was today!!while she comes home to me tellign me how stressed she is from work!!

To be honest I dont think its goiing to be an issue anyway as it looks like her employer will actually be closing down and yes she will be looking for other work - but morally right or wrong,if its not better paid than her current job my advice will be not to take it

This isn't just about "now". Think forward 2,3 or 5 years. The general idea is that people learn new skills, get promoted, move jobs, and start earning more.

No matter how much sitting on the beach you do you will only ever get what is handed to you by the government.

Even leaving the above aside I would rather be working in a job than being a lazy sponger living off the state and taxes of other people with no intention of ever working.

I know its Friday but .......... !![/quote]

apologies, I did not see this post!

The title of his post is it worth staying at work!!! obviously if the company closes it is a completely different situation to deciding not to work as outlined in the original post!

Oh God and this is what I am paying my taxes for!

There is more to work than money - what about being out there, self-esteem etc.

thespecialon, I know where you're coming from, it's something we're also considering, my husband works in a particularly demanding physical job that he is getting pevied off with, we are currently availing of the 'rent a room' scheme which more than covers our mortgage repayments, as we live in a large house with a relatively small mortgage we would have no problem renting out an additional room (yes I'm aware of the €10,000 tax free limit before someone mentions it), so this along with the €200 social welfare per week would bring us to rougly the same as what he's earning now but without the hardship of work.

It's long clip but a very interesting talk by Elizabeth Warren who researched and wrote the Two Income Trap - why the middle classes are going broke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVL7QY0S8A

Once you are married your wife can transfer some of her tax credits and allowances to you.

I'm not in favour of my taxes paying welfare benefits for people to take time off work and have a holiday but there's not enough work out there at the moment and employers are far too inflexible when it comes to cutting hours or allowing people to work part time.

If she's happy not to work, have a gap in her CV, possibly rely on your wage in the future etc, I'm sure there's someone who would like the job instead who would then no longer require job seekers benefit so the net cost to society should be nil.

so everybody seems to think she should stick with her job or look for a better paying one?
even if that mean giving up 40hours of your life a week to get 150 eur extra!!!

I would not be so quick to judge people, people.

Once ye are married your wife probably won't get a whole lot. What will ye do once her stamps are up?

I think it's a bad idea and would encourage her to get another job, take a short break anything besides what she is thinking of. What her friends aren't telling her is how they deal with the boredom of doing nothing.

so everybody seems to think she should stick with her job or look for a better paying one?

well seeing as you seem so worried about her being so stressed perhaps you should focus on this rather than the money of what a job has to offer!

ok thanks for all the feedback everyone,some valid points are raised and we will have a think about it and make a decision sooner rather than later.

T

I think if she were happy with what she is doing it wouldn't be a question for you both, so maybe that's the angle you both should view the situation from. If she were to either go back to College or find a job/hours that fit her lifestyle and were less stressful it may help. In a few months the sun will be gone and her Mates may have found work and the lure of the beach won't be so pressing but I think we all need to do something with our days which we either find fulfilling or so busy we don't have time to realise we're not!

Hi, and it's also a lot easier to find employment when you are already in a job. Once unemployed it's not so easy. Far better she change her job now.

At the end of the day it's ultimately a decision she will have to make for herself, I know people who are quite happy not to work and then again I know even more people who could not cope without a job so really it's an individual choice and people should not be so judgemental about it, as you state you've been paying your taxes too.

Back