Is everyone else's car insurance on the rise?

Shop around folks my renewal came up recently and the insurance company wanted 1K and i had paid 1k to them last year. i thought i might get a reduction, anywho a couple of phone calls later got down to 650 euros through the AA. also my house insurance went up by 25%!!!!!!

I'm thinking its maybe time for the sports car to get put into storage and perhaps switch over to a little runaround. I do very small mileage every year and can't really justify high premiums, or high fuel costs now.:(

FWIW my car is 01 Mazda MX5, premium now (after fighting) down from renewal of €520 to €397 fully comp self & spouse driving. So overall not bad I guess, with road tax, service & small mileage I reckon costs €30pw overall to run. ( ignoring depreciation since not planning on getting rid anytone soon ) . It's the other car, the Mazda 2 1.2 that's gone up more.

My renewal quote with Axa for an old 1.8 Passat, TPFT, was €585 (was about €380 last year). Shopped around and got it with RSA for €366.

Have no connection with them apart from i have a policy but have you tried FBD for a quote? That's who i have mine with, and although i was expecting a reduction ( even €20 would of been nice) because of another year of no claims, at least it didn't go up.

I priced around a few other and they still came out cheaper.

I was with FBD and they increased my policy this year AND took away my full bonus protection. No previous claims and no penalty points. I spoke to them and they wouldn't budge so needless to say I'm no longer with them.

My wifes car which has her, me our son (20) all with full licences also went up. Last year we also had my daughter who's 23 provisional on too and was €990 then for the lot. This year it's just the 3 full licences ( daughter gone off it ) and it went to almost €1,100 . So that's a provisional driver gone and still up 11%. Best I can get so far is €924.

Sequel to this, renewal €1,100 , best quote the other day €924. Today another broker who is with Setanta quoted €710 !. Think that's best we can get.

And one of the best cars you can drive on top of that, not bad.

Agreed :D . The MX-5 is a grin a minute.

my insurance stayed pretty much the same this year...€450 fully comp for a 4.0 litre....no penalty points, full no-claims bonus + full license. however when i checked online for comparisons at the time i got a range of quotes from €440 to €1200!

my insurance stayed pretty much the same this year...€450 fully comp for a 4.0 litre....no penalty points, full no-claims bonus + full license. however when i checked online for comparisons at the time i got a range of quotes from €440 to €1200!

Can I ask what car/4x4 you drive and who is your insurer.

That seems like a good price, considering I match your details and drive a 2litre.

Can I ask what car/4x4 you drive and who is your insurer.

That seems like a good price, considering I match your details and drive a 2litre.

it's a grand cherokee limited and am insured with FBD. it's a good deal alright but i saw the same price with eaglestar and might go with them next year. FBD are turning in the ryanair of insurance companies imho, they charge for every extra little thing if they get a chance.

Another problem I have is that my car is a Jap import and many of the insurance companies won't touch it.

When I 1st insured it I had a very limited choice to go with.

My comp insurance on 1.4 Corolla was 450 last year and Allianz quoted me 650 on the renewal!! Went to another broker who matched last year's 450 and I went with them. Allianz offered to match it as well when I called them cancel to but I told them where to go after they tried to extort me in the first place......

My comp insurance on 1.4 Corolla was 450 last year and Allianz quoted me 650 on the renewal!! Went to another broker who matched last year's 450 and I went with them. Allianz offered to match it as well when I called them cancel to but I told them where to go after they tried to extort me in the first place......

That's what bugs me about brokers, they supposed to do the running & get best quote, you do a bit of checking, get a better quote yourself then when go back to them with it , "oh yes we can match it". Why not give you the best quote in the first place. I am getting a bit tired of paying broker commission then having to do all the legwork myself.

That's what bugs me about brokers, they supposed to do the running & get best quote, you do a bit of checking, get a better quote yourself then when go back to them with it , "oh yes we can match it". Why not give you the best quote in the first place. I am getting a bit tired of paying broker commission then having to do all the legwork myself.

Why would you bother going back to them and paying their commission then? The broker I used was Dingle Insurance who takes their commission from the insurer rather than you. They did actually get me a very good quote, so they were much better than the previous crowd (Glennon Insurances).

Incidentally, when I rang to cancel Glennon had the cheek to send me a letter with the lower quote saying "Having looked at the market, we recommend you take this as its the most competitive".....I know it is, I found the bloody quote myself you morons :mad:

EDIT: No connection with Dingle Insurances, except that have been very helpful despite me giving them the wrong address twice and needing two new insurance disks!

Allianz offered to match it as well when I called them cancel to but I told them where to go after they tried to extort me in the first place......

Good stuff.

I would advise everyone to do this - do not accept your insurers 'revised' quote. My wife was in the same position - her 'revised' quote was actually about €20 lower than the competitor in question but she declined as a matter of principle and told them so.

Back