Is Boris Finished?

He was certainly no friend to Ireland.

Despite his outward bonhomie, he is spiteful in ensuring that those who resigned cannot resume their positions by appointing others and he has appointed a committed brexiteer to replace Brandon Lewis as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

His self-proclaimed "greatest hits" such as Brexit, handling the pandemic, foreign trade deals and the energy crisis are now under particular and for the most part, unfavourable scrutiny.

He was a Tory puppet whose ebullient personality and easy mendacity was useful to achieve Brexit; these traits are now viewed as an embarrassment and a threat. But Boris, bless his cotton socks, understands this as greatness.

In a democracy good political leadership requires competence, a strong work ethic and, most importantly, a sufficiently well developed moral compass the walk the line between politics being "the art of compromise" and maintaining your personal integrity. Most politicians stray over the line the odd time but they get back on track quite quickly.

Boris is incompetent, has no work ethic and his moral standards are a throwback to a sort of imperialistic mindset where rules and ethics were for other people.

Having no moral standards allows politicians to get elected by promising things that can't be delivered; a successful Brexit or in the Irish context promising that all our problems can be fixed if we just do (fill in the blank) but eventually reality, or the consequences of the impossible promises (or lies as they are also called) arrive and the inevitable political fallout happens.

That's the great thing about democracy, it turns out that the old Lincoln line about fooling the people is true.

That's not to say that the next Brexiteer leader of the Tories will be much better for the UK, or Ireland as the Brexit lie still has legs but their relationship with reality may be less casual and their reliance on bombast less acute.

I'd say he'd be a great dinner guest but he's not someone to be put in charge of anything or run anything or be trusted with anything.
I dunno. He’d arrive pickled, recite limericks about men from Nantucket and would invariably try it on with the host’s wife.

I dunno. He’d arrive pickled, recite limericks about men from Nantucket and would invariably try it on with the host’s wife.
And there's a story you can use to liven up all your future parties :)

What did they do with Edward VII? Governor of the Bahamas? Does the Falklands need a Governor? Or Gibraltar?

So many candidates... now Im thinking of standing for Tory party leader.
Where is the application form?

Boris became PM with huge advantages, universally known, great communication skills, acknowledged leader of an important faction, a simple widely supported mission to ‘get Brexit done’. The challenge broke him.

The next PM will have none of these advantages and a cost of living crisis.

Boris became PM with huge advantages, universally known, great communication skills, acknowledged leader of an important faction, a simple widely supported mission to ‘get Brexit done’. The challenge broke him.

The next PM will have none of these advantages and a cost of living crisis.
And yet it the silly own goals in matters 'not of state' that cost him.

They have about 2 years to bed in and hope to establish themselves and get through the inflation crisis - I think next UK general election due in December 2024.

Looks like Miss Truss has played a blinder.

Her first good move was not resigning. - This meant she got the Boris votes

Her second good move was to come across poorly in the debates. - This fooled Sunak camp into playing with votes to ensure she was the second candidate.

Her third good move was to withdraw from the debates with Sunak as they were damaging the party. - This played to the old guard who just happen to be those voting.

Her fourth good move was to cosy up to the Torygraph and Daily Mail. Again, the "newspapers" of choice of the Tory membership.

I don't think the Sunak camp (or anyone) saw this.

She's played a blinder as she knows the decision is made by the grey/beige conservative party membership and not by MPs.

So Boris Mark II looks likely to be Prime minister.

Listening (audio only) to the debate and I know this is shallow but Sunaks voice sounds like he is impersonating Tony Blair.
Truss sounds serious.

I wonder if like JFK v Nixon radio v tv audience would rate them differently.

Liz Truss was and still is the preferred candidate of the European Research Group (ERG), I would be very surprized if she weren’t the next PM.

Liz Truss was and still is the preferred candidate of the European Research Group (ERG), I would be very surprized if she weren’t the next PM.
I'd be very surprised also. But now it is down to a two horse race if some skeleton came out of her cupboard Sunak is in.
It will be interesting to see whoever wins, will they offer the loser a senior cabinet position.

I'd be very surprised also. But now it is down to a two horse race if some skeleton came out of her cupboard Sunak is in.
It will be interesting to see whoever wins, will they offer the loser a senior cabinet position.
A very interesting question.

Truss represents a significant element in the party, the ERG, it has been around for decades, it has a committed membership among MPs and a large following in the wider party and society. If Sunak wins he will have to reconcile the ERG and thus give Truss a senior role, a course fraught with danger for him. Or he may decide that they are too powerful and try to diminish them, so no role for Truss. A choice really whether he wants to be stabbed in the back or the front by the ERG.

If Truss wins, Sunak represents nothing except whatever passing policy positions he has adopted recently. There is no faction in the party that will feel overlooked if he is excluded. It is of no consequence to Truss wether she gives him a senior role or not.

Truss way out in front in early polls and bellwether / opportunist Javid comes out publicly backing her...

"The British Foreign Secretary won a 34-percentage point lead over Mr Sunak in a YouGov poll of party members, before a survey for the ConservativeHome website put her 32 ahead.
Javid, whose resignation as health secretary minutes before Sunak’s as chancellor triggered the cascade that forced Boris Johnson to quit as Tory leader, then threw his support the frontrunner."

Back