Is anyone else cheesed off with how much people get paid on social welfare

Is it possible for self-employed people to claim unemployment benefit also? I assume the answer is obviously not.
However, I was talking to a guy last week that was made redundant last year and signed on the dole. He has since start driving a taxi a few months ago but still claims his unemployment benefit. I assume at some stage this is going to become clear to the powers that be.
Don't self-employed people have to submit a tax clearance cert every year and it will be on the system if they are claiming for anything else?
He did not seem bothered, which made me think is there some loop hole or is he just burying his head in the sand.

Then your comment makes no sense.

One is bad, the other is worse. People vote for the least worst option or, to paraphrase, “getter the gob****es you know that the gob****es you don’t”

Now do you understand?

Questions like this really get my back up.I have 2 children,on rent allowance,no partner and no help from the father.
i get 254 a week,from that i pay rent contribution of 70 odd euro ,70-75 for shopping,usually 70 per week plus the usual milk,bread and so on durning the week,10e top up credit,80 credit union payments,6 garbage every thursday,plus put money aside for gas,elect every week. so by the following wednesday before i get my next 254 i have a total of 5-12 euro.I dont drink,dont go out at weekends.
then you have to think of other things,shoes and clothes for kids,birthdays,travel expensis.

Can I just point out that you are paying 320 Euros on Credit union monthly from the money you are getting - that's the reason there is nothing left. Without the credit union it should be working out ok.

You're playing semantics. The word quality can mean bad quality or qood quality. Not just good quality. You're still saying that people voted on the basis that one is less bad than the other.

The perception of FF being better, however relative that is, than the alternative is deeply flawed. Things do not have to be illegal to be morally bankrupt. We've had one sour story after another from FF.

not everything is covered on the medical card. special foods that my child needs are not covered on the card. my other child requires special bandages nightly for a severe skin condition. these are not covered on the med card either. these bandaged costs 7.00euro for one roll. to cover his body he needs two rolls, on average he needs this done three times a week as well as two baths a day with a special body wash costing 11 euro a bottle. NONE of this is covered by the medical card. the phone bill is high as we use it alot, for the hospital , we have an eircom bundle for 67euro a month not including mobile calls.

My eircom bundle is 45 a month including internet and free landline calls and free calls to meteor. The suggestion on getting prescriptions was based on the fact that I know my aunt gets her baby formula on prescription and anything else medicine wise she needs so that if it goes above the drug payment card threshold in a month it is free. Surely anything prescribed by your doctor is free if you have a medical card?

no , for instance yesterday my child was prescribed zirtek, it cost me almost ten euros , it was written on the prescription but wasnt covered by the med card so i had to pay. Not everything is covered.

You're playing semantics. The word quality can mean bad quality or qood quality. Not just good quality. You're still saying that people voted on the basis that one is less bad than the other.

The perception of FF being better, however relative that is, than the alternative is deeply flawed. Things do not have to be illegal to be morally bankrupt. We've had one sour story after another from FF.

Have you read the link posted by Sunny?
Fg still don't have the balls to propose major changes (despite the best efforts of Richard Bruton).

If Labour got their way we'd be emigrating to Gaza within 5 years. Give me corruption over imbeciles any day of the week!

The Shinners are still wishing for 1950's Soviet Russia.

You've no list for FF, because they keep doing U-Turns on their changes, or they don't do anything, but talk about it. Still they can always fall back on the horses. But I've a feeling the horse has already bolted.

You've no list for FF, because they keep doing U-Turns on their changes, or they don't do anything, but talk about it. Still they can always fall back on the horses.
I agree, so what we we do? That's all I'm saying; we get to pick which group we think will do least harm.

Based on their track record. FF for least harm?
Hard to know. The Rainbow government weren't bad but the FG/Labour government in the 80's was possible the worst we have ever had.

I have no faith in Enda Kenny (yes, even less than I have in Cowan) but Richard Bruton is impressive. Eamonn Gilmore is impressive but Joan Burton is a joke. Who gets what job?

Only partially. The other parties have been weak. At this point that might be better though. Its a bit like getting the new lads off the bench for a football team, instead of keep playing the old guard.

Back