Is anyone else cheesed off with how much people get paid on social welfare

Back on to the original question ......
I think that for a young person / school leaver that 204 euro a week jobseekers plus help with rent is way too much. Someone would have to work about 30 hours on the min wage to get that. With rates in the UK for under 25s at just £48 a week (plus help with rent) - we are way too generous. It does not encourage anyone to get a job - even if there are any.

It is a cop out. FF have been institutionally corrupt for a long time and anything would be better than them. The present circumstances are directly attributable to them.
Anything? Sinn Fein and their communist isolationism?
I didn't hear the opposition want about what was going to happen 18-24 months ago. If anything a government with Labour in it would have spent more and been further into the pockets of the unions.
As long a we had social(ist) partnership rather than democracy we were going to end up here.

How much is the average mortgage these days and bills, food, etc? If you have a single income family with kids, I don't think it would be enough. It may not even cover most mortgages taken out in the last couple of years.

On a note about Government, I cannot believe that Brian earns more than Barack??

Anything? Sinn Fein and their communist isolationism?
I didn't hear the opposition want about what was going to happen 18-24 months ago. If anything a government with Labour in it would have spent more and been further into the pockets of the unions.
As long a we had social(ist) partnership rather than democracy we were going to end up here.

So we just stick with FF so? Knowing their corruption where senior figures such as Ray Burke were arrested by CAB, thats a type of Govt you want to see continue?

How much is the average mortgage these days and bills, food, etc? If you have a single income family with kids, I don't think it would be enough. It may not even cover most mortgages taken out in the last couple of years.

On a note about Government, I cannot believe that Brian earns more than Barack??

If you have dependents you get more than than the minimum allowance.

There is also a scheme in place to apply to have the interest on your mortgage paid, although this is administered by the HSE and can be a bit arbitrary in practice from what I've heard.

Quote:
pebbledash said:
There is an expectation among some young girls / women that they are entitled to have as many kids as they want and are entitled to state support.

Is it not the case that since Ireland has put a ban on abortion and has generally taken a pro-life stance, the state is compelled to support mothers, as is also guareenteed in the constitution.

He he, very true. Ok, so it could be said that we, as a country, are paying out excessive amounts of welfare to young single mothers in support and housing payments... this is fundamentally due to a Catholic religious ideal.. that the family and life etc are amazing and should always be defended...

So if that is one of our problems what about this.??... Abortion should be mandatory if an expectant mother can't demonstrate the means (and the parenting skills!) to care for the child. There, I've said it. Maybe I'm a fascist.

(Of course I would have preferred to see money well spent during the good years on education and creating opportunities in dis-advantaged areas... )

Cheers
Joe

I have only moved to RoI about 8 years ago, and have always been employed in this time.

I was only ever unemployed in NI, and that was a long time ago, but I have to admit that I think the benefits in the RoI are VERY generous.

As I have never 'signed on' in Ireland, is it still not compulsory to sign on weekly as in NI? If not, then this is only allowing people to scam the system. I had heard stories about people only having to sign on very infrequently (even being able to fly in to do it??) - and indeed claim for children too not in the country!!. Surely it should be compulsory to physically sign on every week, to make sure that people are actually here.

I asked him candidly over the Christmas period, if you didn't smoke or drink for the week, how much would it cost you to live.

He said around EUR75.

So that's an extra EUR 100 he's got to 'enjoy himself' with every week.

No Drink or smoking and you asking how much he has to enjoy himself, kind of missing out on some enjoyment then i think.

So we just stick with FF so? Knowing their corruption where senior figures such as Ray Burke were arrested by CAB, thats a type of Govt you want to see continue?
Of course I don't want to see a corrupt government, I want to see a competent one that governs for the people. I can’t see any party in the Dail giving us that.

Talking of corrupt government I see they are now proposing to help people on social welfare etc to rent houses/get housing and how are they going to do this? They are going to lease all those lovely empty houses that the builders/developers have lying empty and they are going to lease them from the builder/developer. All in the guise of helping the poor people on social welfare. I don't know how the Irish people haven't started protesting with their pots and lids like the Icelanders did. At least the over 70's had a bit of gumption.

Talking of corrupt government I see they are now proposing to help people on social welfare etc to rent houses/get housing and how are they going to do this? They are going to lease all those lovely empty houses that the builders/developers have lying empty and they are going to lease them from the builder/developer. All in the guise of helping the poor people on social welfare. I don't know how the Irish people haven't started protesting with their pots and lids like the Icelanders did. At least the over 70's had a bit of gumption.

Protest about what? This seems like a perfectly good proposition to me.
People in need of housing get housed.
Builders who are in financial trouble get some income coming in.
Banks who are in trouble get some income from developers and so reduce the possibilities of bad debts.

What is the alternative way open to the government to provide social housing? Build yet more units?

I see it like this.The goverment needs to save 2bn so lets introduce the electric chair to sex offeners,murders,peods and drug trafficers.it would empty out the over populated prisions and save tax payers money and the country millions.Oh..i forgot we'r a catholic country.To bad. :(

Protest about what? This seems like a perfectly good proposition to me.
People in need of housing get housed.
Builders who are in financial trouble get some income coming in.
Banks who are in trouble get some income from developers and so reduce the possibilities of bad debts.

What is the alternative way open to the government to provide social housing? Build yet more units?

They are building the ghettos of tomorrow with this plan. Remember this was how Ballymun started. They are also paying vastly over the odds on the leases and nobody seems to know who will maintain the properties and deal with the tenants over this period. I'm guessing the councils.

It would probably be cheaper to build the units since at least there would be some assurance as to the standard of the properties to be maintained.

I don't think anyone here has a problem social welfare payments for people who have recently lost their job. If you've got a mortgage, a car to run, etc; it's not easy to take such a dramatic step down in salary.

The thing that most people take issue with, is the long-term unemployed. If you ask me, Job Seekers Allowance should be halved if you've been continuous unemployed for more than three years.

And watch the crime rate soar? I imagine one of the ideas of Social Welfare is to stop lawlessness.

This is a moronic subject. The anecdote supplied is worthless.
No one can survice on social welfare alone.
It will feed you and not much else.

The principal of this society is no one starves.
Social welfare is suppose to help that.

As for the self employed company directory - Yes you are entitled to social welfare - you might be glad of it some day.

This is a moronic subject. The anecdote supplied is worthless.
No one can survice on social welfare alone.
It will feed you and not much else.

The principal of this society is no one starves.
Social welfare is suppose to help that.
Good post.

No Drink or smoking and you asking how much he has to enjoy himself, kind of missing out on some enjoyment then i think.

oh ya, sure. Do you want EUR100 of my hard earned cash to enjoy yourself with too? Don't you see? That's the whole crux of my point. Why the hell should someone have EUR100 per week extra to smoke and drink their lives away? And it'll invariably cost me more money when his liver fails and gets cancer, as he's got full entitlement to the medical card.

where i work they were looking for voluntary redundacies,so one worker who has a partner and 3 kids decided to go because he would get 430 euro a week on dole,plus medical card,plus his affordable house rent reduced to 18 euro a week.I was talking to him yesterday and he said he would be a fool to go back to work again.this really annoys me as i pay top tax to fund his life stlyle.

Back