Is anyone else cheesed off with how much people get paid on social welfare

Purple,

I guess I am saying that. I just think if you have never worked a day in your life and you have been on the dole for years it is very hard to adjust to working life. Most of us who have worked all our adult lives have to get up at a certain time, dress a certain way, conform to the norm of your everyday working life. We mightn't like it but it has to be done. We bite our tongue when we don't agree with the boss etc.

Anybody who has never worked and has been on the dole for years will be doing well to get a job better than minimum wage (to begin with). I can't see them adjusting to being told where to be, what to do and how to do it very easily especially when they have a comparable income from doing nothing.

All I'm doing is asking the question?

Why can I not make a general statement? Social Welfare payments are a general payment, not specific cases. As for working out the cost of living in each county / major town;
1 person required per major city / town - take an average of 2 major towns per county, and then those living outside of these catchment areas, that 3 samples per county.

Work out the cost of food, rent etc. for each area, maybe at most 5 days of effort per area. that's 15 days or 3 weeks of effort per county x 26 counties = 1.5 years.

Give yourself some padding and employ 2 people to do this, with another team of 20 to allocate each person into these areas.

Do you really think that people living in say, Leitrim will suddenly start moving into Sligo or Dublin just to get an additional amount in their allowance? If so then that might be a good thing. In that it might actually make someone get off their backside and do something.

As for earning more than EUR200, yes I earn more than that, but after tax, bills and food costs are paid, I don't think I'm much better off than my friend at EUR100 per week spare cash.

Because you would still owe the bank the difference between the sale price and your mortgage, and would still be making payments on a house you are not living in, coupled with trying to fund an alternative place to live, as well as eat and stuff.
I can't imagine how anyone could afford that.

Not sure the Govt can afford to pay peoples mortgages either considering the topic is suggesting people get paid too much social welfare.

Questions like this really get my back up.I have 2 children,on rent allowance,no partner and no help from the father.

Every situation is different, so I'm not commenting on your specific situation - I know nothing about your life.

I made a decision not to have children until I could support them, if that time never came I simply wouldn't have children. I see women in the same neighbourhood as me given 3 bed houses because they have 2 children. There is no incentive to work there. State would be better off paying for childcare instead of social housing/rent allowance and other allowances.

I have seen lots of women all around me have child after child that they cannot afford to support. There is an expectation among some young girls / women that they are entitled to have as many kids as they want and are entitled to state support.

So while it is a very sensitive subject and care must be taken to consider individual circumstances, I feel that people also have a right to raise these issues.

There is an expectation among some young girls / women that they are entitled to have as many kids as they want and are entitled to state support.

Is it not the case that since Ireland has put a ban on abortion and has generally taken a pro-life stance, the state is compelled to support mothers, as is also guareenteed in the constitution.

Your husband’s income, if he only works 39 hours a week, is below the minimum wage. How come?
Your food bill still seems high. We have 5 in our house, we are not on a low income, and there no way it would ever cost over €100 a week for food.
€30 a week for a phone is also very high.
If your rent is only €55 a week then you are also getting rent support. This is worth at least another €100 a week to you.
we do not get rent support, we have a council house and our rent in 55 a week. our phone bill is high as we are in constant contact with our childs hospital. our food bill is high as this bill includes some medications not covered by our childs medical card also. we buy nappies wipes and special food for child as well as food etc for the other 5 people. whatever rent support is , we dont receive it.
my husband works 30 hrs a week.

Purple,

I guess I am saying that. I just think if you have never worked a day in your life and you have been on the dole for years it is very hard to adjust to working life. Most of us who have worked all our adult lives have to get up at a certain time, dress a certain way, conform to the norm of your everyday working life. We mightn't like it but it has to be done. We bite our tongue when we don't agree with the boss etc.

Anybody who has never worked and has been on the dole for years will be doing well to get a job better than minimum wage (to begin with). I can't see them adjusting to being told where to be, what to do and how to do it very easily especially when they have a comparable income from doing nothing.
That's what I'm saying as well.

we do not get rent support, we have a council house and our rent in 55 a week. our phone bill is high as we are in constant contact with our childs hospital. our food bill is high as this bill includes some medications not covered by our childs medical card also. we buy nappies wipes and special food for child as well as food etc for the other 5 people. whatever rent support is , we dont receive it.

Rent support would only apply to those not availing of social/council housing. In essence your rent is subsidised since the council charge according to your ability to repay rather than the prevailing market rate. I have no idea how this is determined however.

I wonder has anyone given consideration to a universal welfare payment? Those in gainful employment can offset the payment against their tax liability. Those on very low or no means would receive it in cash.

The key benefit of such a system is that it avoids people falling into the benefits trap, as they are free to work even on a part-time basis and not fare any worse than if they existed solely on benefits.

It can be argued that there is no incentive for people to do so (since they will receive the cash anyway) but getting back to work is a tough process for long-term unemployed. Many want to work but are scared to lose the benefits they currently enjoy. It isn't necessarily easy to jump straight into full-time employment.

This way they could begin working on a part-time basis seeking to gradually improve their skills and productivity, increasing the opportunities for full-time employment, without being penalised for it.

I wonder has anyone given consideration to a universal welfare payment? Those in gainful employment can offset the payment against their tax liability. Those on very low or no means would receive it in cash.

The key benefit of such a system is that it avoids people falling into the benefits trap, as they are free to work even on a part-time basis and not fare any worse than if they existed solely on benefits.

It can be argued that there is no incentive for people to do so (since they will receive the cash anyway) but getting back to work is a tough process for long-term unemployed. Many want to work but are scared to lose the benefits they currently enjoy. It isn't necessarily easy to jump straight into full-time employment.

This way they could begin working on a part-time basis seeking to gradually improve their skills and productivity, increasing the opportunities for full-time employment, without being penalised for it.

This is the fully refundable tax credit idea - worth looking at. Essentially everyone gets X amount of money - you can claim the cash or you can use it as a tax credit or a combination of both. If you earn more than the amount, it is taxed. Replaces both the social welfare and tax credits systems currently in use.

To answer the OP's question, i am in no way cheesed off with how much people get on social welfare. What p1sses me off is the money the idiots who got us into this mess are earning AKA Fianna Fail and their chums in government. The majority of people want to work, and many people have been left with no choice but to go on the dole as they have lost their jobs.

Of course social welfare fruad is a completely different thing- that i am completely against and staff who are twiddling thumbs in various state departments around the country should be transferred to dept of social welfare to help the crack down.

Questions like this really get my back up.I have 2 children,on rent allowance,no partner and no help from the father.
i get 254 a week,from that i pay rent contribution of 70 odd euro ,70-75 for shopping,usually 70 per week plus the usual milk,bread and so on durning the week,10e top up credit,80 credit union payments,6 garbage every thursday,plus put money aside for gas,elect every week. so by the following wednesday before i get my next 254 i have a total of 5-12 euro.I dont drink,dont go out at weekends.
then you have to think of other things,shoes and clothes for kids,birthdays,travel expensis.

So between rent allowance and lone parents you are coming out with about €500 per week. I'm a single mother too and after paying tax my take home pay is about €50 more than that. I have to pay €180 childcare, €220 mortgage, private healthcare as I don't qualify for a medical card, house insurance, car loans/running costs & all the other bills you mentioned. All my daughters clothes are hand-me-downs from friends and family, the only new things she gets are presents. So for that 5-12 euro at the end of the week I have to work 39 hours!

Now I'm not saying you are on the gravy train or anything, it's just that this shows how crazy the system is.

30 euro a week for a phone? a landline or mobile?
you can get a landline with free national calls for about 30 euro a month as far as I know. Can you get your doctor to write prescription for the special baby food and medicines?

30 euro a week for a phone? a landline or mobile?
you can get a landline with free national calls for about 30 euro a month as far as I know. Can you get your doctor to write prescription for the special baby food and medicines?
not everything is covered on the medical card. special foods that my child needs are not covered on the card. my other child requires special bandages nightly for a severe skin condition. these are not covered on the med card either. these bandaged costs 7.00euro for one roll. to cover his body he needs two rolls, on average he needs this done three times a week as well as two baths a day with a special body wash costing 11 euro a bottle. NONE of this is covered by the medical card. the phone bill is high as we use it alot, for the hospital , we have an eircom bundle for 67euro a month not including mobile calls.

What p1sses me off is the money the idiots who got us into this mess are earning AKA Fianna Fail and their chums in government.

Yes, but we are the idiots who voted these other idiots into government. Collectively, we get the government (and the society) we deserve.

Yes, but we are the idiots who voted these other idiots into government. Collectively, we get the government (and the society) we deserve.

For the record i have never voted for those idiots. Fianna Fail get so many votes not on the quality of their candidate but on old family ties & loyalties rather than on their performance in government.

Hopefully next election people will finally use logic when voting rather than doing what their parents did.

For the record i have never voted for those idiots. Fianna Fail get so many votes not on the quality of their candidate but on old family ties & loyalties rather than on their performance in government.

Hopefully next election people will finally use logic when voting rather than doing what their parents did.
FF get elected because of the lack of a quality alternative.

Back