Is anyone else cheesed off with how much people get paid on social welfare

Sorry to hear that the work has dried up. Can you just clarify if you are entitled to precisely nothing, or precisely nothing that is not means tested? I understood that anyone would receive Jobseekers Allowance if the met the means test, regardless of the employment history. Is this not the case for formerly self-employed people?

I don't recall too many complaints about self-employed status in the boom times when it was seen as a route to (legally) avoid tax.

If there is work to be done, the workers should get a fair days pay, not a few pennies above the dole.

There is no Govt scheme that pays for a 4-bed house for a single man.

Well I can assure you 100% that there is and I am pretty comfortable with being able to count to four.....just !:)

I should have clarified, I am entitled to no benefits because I am means tested, as we are a two income family, in fact the family income was well short of any entitlement and I can assure you my wife is not on anything like a huge wage. The thing that sticks in my craw is the fact that a S/E worker is assessed on their previous years income, that has long been spent on mortgages, grocerys, school fees general living expenses etc etc, it wasnt last year that theese people needed assistance so why are they not assessed on their present status instead of that twelve months previously
As for avoiding tax, any self respecting tradesmen who is registered for vat has a C2 and all manner of traceable incomings and outgoings would find it nie on impossible to avoid paying his fair share to the exchequor, other than the odd weekender, the majority have more than paid their dues and for those who have not then we can hold the general public guilty by association for being equally culpable in avoiding taxes due....I have lost count of the jobs lost over the years because I didnt want to put thousands into my back pocket then be answerable to an audit for long periods supposedly out of work.

Plenty of self employed people now find that they are entitled to no social welfare, because the work has dried up after working hard, paying tax and acting in a financially rresponsible manner for years or decades
Get with the programme, will ya. This is factually untrue.
The vast majority of self employed / business people did not see it as a route to (legally) avoid tax...in fact this sector paid and pays the tax that supports others.
Lots of sectors paid taxes (including the public sector). The real question is did they pay enough tax, or did they pay their fair share of tax. I think we all know the answers...

Well I can assure you 100% that there is and I am pretty comfortable with being able to count to four.....just !:)
So what scheme is it then?
I should have clarified, I am entitled to no benefits because I am means tested, as we are a two income family, in fact the family income was well short of any entitlement and I can assure you my wife is not on anything like a huge wage. The thing that sticks in my craw is the fact that a S/E worker is assessed on their previous years income, that has long been spent on mortgages, grocerys, school fees general living expenses etc etc, it wasnt last year that theese people needed assistance so why are they not assessed on their present status instead of that twelve months previously
I can see your point on the timing problem, though I can also see the other side of the coin. Given that a self-employed person's income can vary greatly from week to week, what basis can DSFA use to assess income, other than last years?
As for avoiding tax, any self respecting tradesmen who is registered for vat has a C2 and all manner of traceable incomings and outgoings would find it nie on impossible to avoid paying his fair share to the exchequor, other than the odd weekender, the majority have more than paid their dues and for those who have not then we can hold the general public guilty by association for being equally culpable in avoiding taxes due....I have lost count of the jobs lost over the years because I didnt want to put thousands into my back pocket then be answerable to an audit for long periods supposedly out of work.
Being C2 registered does not mean that they paid their fair share. It means they paid their fair share of the 'on the table' job, or the 'on the table' element of the jobs, and they pocketed the 'under the table' part of the deal. You are right in pointing out that many householders were complicit in the tax evasion in looking for a 'price for cash' for the 'odd weekender', but that doesn't absolve the building industry for responsibility for this kind of evasion.

but that doesn't absolve the building industry for responsibility for this kind of evasion.
or the lawyers who gave cash discounts, or the GP's who stuffed cash in their pockets or the teachers how did grinds for cash etc

I believe its termed "human nature"

As for the 4 bed house scheme there clearly is not a specific "Scheme" All I am saying here is I know a guy very well who has a newish 4 bed house paid for, bar perhaps a tenner by the social welfare. You may find this puzzling but it is non the less true, why on earth would I make it up.?

I believe its termed "human nature"

As for the 4 bed house scheme there clearly is not a specific "Scheme" All I am saying here is I know a guy very well who has a newish 4 bed house paid for, bar perhaps a tenner by the social welfare. You may find this puzzling but it is non the less true, why on earth would I make it up.?
Did you ever think that (given that there is no scheme that provides this level of benefit), somebody might be pulling your leg (akimbo) or exaggerating to wind you up?

Complaier How clear can I make it. I have known the guy for over twenty years, have worked with him periodically for most of that time, I have a drink with him at the weekend and I was having a cuppa in the four bedroomed house he lives in a couple of miles from me this week, as I have hundreds of times. I have absolutely no need to lie or exaggerate, it was a simple part of a post made earlier, and am surprised that you are not aware that this is not an isolated scenario.
Nor am I passing judgement on him, for a couple of years he rented this particular property and paid his own way, for the last year the rent has been paid by social welfare...simple as.
If there is a "Scheme" of evicting people from rented properties when they fall on tough times regardless of its size it is one of which I am not familiar.

Complaier How clear can I make it. I have known the guy for over twenty years, have worked with him periodically for most of that time, I have a drink with him at the weekend and I was having a cuppa in the four bedroomed house he lives in a couple of miles from me this week, as I have hundreds of times. I have absolutely no need to lie or exaggerate, it was a simple part of a post made earlier, and am surprised that you are not aware that this is not an isolated scenario.
Nor am I passing judgement on him, for a couple of years he rented this particular property and paid his own way, for the last year the rent has been paid by social welfare...simple as.
If there is a "Scheme" of evicting people from rented properties when they fall on tough times regardless of its size it is one of which I am not familiar.
How clear can I make it - There is no social welfare scheme that pays for a 4-bed house for a single man. Please don't twist this about evictions. The only person doing evictions will be the landlord (if the worst happens), not the state. I'm not suggesting that you are lying. But certainly someone, somewhere is not telling the full story.

I just have to sit here and laugh. Have it your way sir, but do wake up to reality, I either lie or I dont, do not spare my feelings I would not be in the least offended, you do not believe me.. fine !
Its a four bed house all be it a semi D town house, are we talking at cross purposes and you're under the impression I am talking about a 3000 sq ft mansion on an acre of manicured garden ?
I have no desire to cross swords with you its just the way it is.
I am not one for falling for chinese whispers but I was told a tale yesterday about polish guys who landed at Dublin airport taking a taxi to the social, asked the driver to wait twenty minutes and drive then back to the airport to fly home after signing on. Doubtless a total fabrication but I have no doubt that a system that allows people to sign on once a month with payments going straight into their bank accounts is open to abuse in fact I know damned well it is, its plainly obvious people will take advantage... Was there not a recent case of a highly paid medical consultant whose wife merrily trotted over the border to the North to claim benefits there and in the south too in a well executed shameless scam.

Was there not a recent case of a highly paid medical consultant whose wife merrily trotted over the border to the North to claim benefits there and in the south too in a well executed shameless scam.

I never heard of that...I thought it was more a trick undertook by some of those from the tra.....ng community ? ( I am afraid to say the word in case I am accused of being racist or whatever ).

Was there not a recent case of a highly paid medical consultant whose wife merrily trotted over the border to the North to claim benefits there and in the south too in a well executed shameless scam.
Legs! Do you have a link for this extraordinary bit of financial sean-nos dancing.

Agree entirely with your comments on this. It's unfortunate that those who are in genuine need of social welfare get tarred with the same brush because of layabouts, fraudsters and thieves who abuse the system

However I also have an issue with how social welfare can act as a disencentive to work. An example, I had an employee who came to me a month ago asking to reduce his working week from 5 days to 3 days. When I asked him why, he told me he had worked out that he would be financially better off if he did this because of the social welfare payments he would get in return. Glad to say I refused his request but that is an example of the quite frankly stupid way the system works. And before anyone asks, this guy's salary is 15% above the minimum wage

I have seen this in the civil service as well. Single parents, some living at home with their own parents who act as childminders, going jobsharing because they can claim enough welfare to actually end up with more disposable income.

Legs! Do you have a link for this extraordinary bit of financial sean-nos dancing.

Sorry no I dont, its just something that stuck in my mind after either seeing it on a news item or reading in a newspaper. I recall there being given a smack on the wrists by the courts for the perpetrator and the money to be repaid. It struck a chord as it made me think that if this type of person would take such risks who else is.

Here's a link to leg's story. The wife & children were claiming Social Welfare here while husband was working with the health services in NI.

[broken link removed]

Thanks gipiman, I was begining to think complainer was right and I was becoming deluded :)

Thanks gipimann. So there is an alternative society living amongst us. I thought this was solely the domain of the of the crowd that we can't mention.

I just have to sit here and laugh. Have it your way sir, but do wake up to reality, I either lie or I dont, do not spare my feelings I would not be in the least offended, you do not believe me.. fine !
Its a four bed house all be it a semi D town house, are we talking at cross purposes and you're under the impression I am talking about a 3000 sq ft mansion on an acre of manicured garden ?
I don't think you're lying. I believe that you genuinely believe that this is hapening. There is another possible scenario that could explain this.

The other guy is exaggerating/lying/spoofing. Maybe his mammy and daddy are paying his rent, and it is slightly less embarrassing to say that the State are paying. Maybe the HSE are supplementing his rent, and he's done a deal with the landlord to pay cash himself. In the absence of seeing the paperwork, I just don't believe that the state is paying a market rate for a 4-bed house for a single man.

If there is work to be done, the workers should get a fair days pay, not a few pennies above the dole.
Why? If you can work and the state is paying you why should it not require you to work? If you don't want to do the work that's fine; don't claim the SW payments.

Back