Is €1,900 expensive for a root canal & crown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you be more condescending? Understand what? Either you can afford to get expensive dental work or you can't. You don't need to be a dentist to work that out.

You often read stories of famous people, celebs, once they get a bit of money getting their teeth fixed up. Ronan Keating is rumoured to have spend 20k on dental work. What would these celebs done if they didn't have money? They would have lived with what they had.

Hi, ok, I need to get root canal and a crown which I'm told in total will cost 700. I'm on less than 100 a week, working part time. I have a medical card (but my dentist stopped taking them).

I lost my job seekers allowance of 106.50. Will my health board dentist do this for free on my medical card. I'm 33. My own dentist said the tooth might flare up and swell up within 2 weeks and I'm going against her desire to do the work, purely because of the cost.

Do I rob a bank or just shoot myself if the pain gets unreal? Seriously, what are my options?

Thanks.

p.s the tooth is to one side of the mouth, around my cheek. (I heard the HSE only covers front). It had a deep filling which she drilled out, she then hit blood it was that deep. She put in a temp white filling until I make up my mind, with the warning it might flare up within 2 weeks.

Thats a pretty reasonable price to me. Of course you do get 25% back but only after you submit your form.
If you need the treatment, get it done. It'll only get worse otherwise and you'll probably end up paying more in the long run.

The other thing is that eventually, students have to practise on live patients but they would be supervised so you could consider this route. Contact the universities. (either UCD or Dublin will definitely have students)

Truly a well thought-out response by the dentist. Implies that most of us are dummies and not worthy of respect. Lambs to the scalpel in fact! I'm sure that all levels of education are represented on this board and hooray to that!

Disgraceful one-upmanship! The basic argument here, and one Marko fails miserably to refute, in spite of his scare-mongering, is that Irish dental patients are being shamelessly exploited by a profession who, if Marko is one shining example of, appear to place themselves a cut above.

Understand what? Either you can afford to get expensive dental work or you can't.
You have completely missed my point.

Expensive dental treatment will FAIL in certain mouths with ACTIVE disease.
A building analogy............
A bridge is being built accross a river.
This is the same situation as in the mouth with the space being the river and the two teeth either side being the respective banks.
Assume the banks are bog (ie no support or foundations)...........what will happen the bridge? It will fail............same thing in the mouth...........if not sufficient bone support on the teeth either side the bridge or implant will fail especially in the presence of untreated gum disease.
Then someone may say if a bridge/implant does not have a good outlook what about a denture? Invariably dentures make untreated gum disease worse and increase the risk of new cavities.
Conclusion
In the presence of active/untreated disease no treatment is better than expensive replacements which are doomed to fail.

Moral of Story
I have seen numerous cases of untreated gum disease/tooth decay arriving back from abroad with expensive replacements which will fail. Therefore one must get active gum disease etc treated before bridges/implants. 2 weeks is not a time frame to do so.

There is a big difference between scaremongering and good basic science.
I am not devoting my time as a frequent poster here to defend my profession as they are well able to represent themselves!
I have seen horrific cases coming from abroad and this needs to be highlighted.
If I achieve anything on this thread I hope the least I achieve is that patients at least get a SECOND opinion.
If I don't achieve this, all I hope is that these horrific cases do not come to my door as believe me there is nothing worse to tell someone that this is the case and that the remedial costs are multiples of what they have paid.

You have completely missed my point.

Expensive dental treatment will FAIL in certain mouths with ACTIVE disease....

Conclusion
In the presence of active/untreated disease no treatment is better than expensive replacements which are doomed to fail.

Moral of Story
I have seen numerous cases of untreated gum disease/tooth decay arriving back from abroad with expensive replacements which will fail. ....

I still don't get it. Because malene was talking about treatment from an Irish dentist, who is suggesting root canal and crown treatment. Which malene can't afford. I'm just suggesting an alternative is extraction which is much cheaper. You don't have to get a bridge later. Its a nice to have, not need to have. Sorting out active disease/active decay is not optional. You simply have to do that. Its unlikely to involve significant cost though, and you can't simply wait to sort that out and leave someone in pain. Personally I would go with the root/crown. I don't know much about bridges but they seem far more hassle, from talking to people with them, and I'm guessing more expensive. I've had a few root/crown treatments myself. At least one was done to fix an immediate problem.

markowitzman you keep replying about going abroad and active disease? I'd have hoped you'd be able to advise about the pros and cons about root/crown vs bridge work.

I still don't get it. Because malene was talking about treatment from an Irish dentist, who is suggesting root canal and crown treatment. Which malene can't afford. I'm just suggesting an alternative is extraction which is much cheaper. You don't have to get a bridge later. Its a nice to have, not need to have. Sorting out active disease/active decay is not optional. You simply have to do that. Its unlikely to involve significant cost though, and you can't simply wait to sort that out and leave someone in pain. Personally I would go with the root/crown. I don't know much about bridges but they seem far more hassle, from talking to people with them, and I'm guessing more expensive.
Yes if one cannot afford root canal and crown then the best option is extraction followed by routine treatments to sort out active disease. You are spot on aircobra to suggest this. My point is that these foreign outfits are bypassing the key stage of getting rid of active disease in favour of overtreatment in the form of elective treatments which may not suit the mouth into which they are put.
In general where there is adequate healthy tooth above the gum root canal/crown is preferable than bridge work from a cost and conservation of tooth structure point of view. A bridge invariably involves cutting down two healthy teeth down to a stump which can increase the risk of future root canal treatments on these teeth.
Lots of generalities above but if the root canals done with an endodontist great chance of holding onto teeth.

Yes if one cannot afford root canal and crown then the best option is extraction followed by routine treatments to sort out active disease. You are spot on aircobra to suggest this. My point is that these foreign outfits are bypassing the key stage of getting rid of active disease in favour of overtreatment in the form of elective treatments which may not suit the mouth into which they are put.
In general where there is adequate healthy tooth above the gum root canal/crown is preferable than bridge work from a cost and conservation of tooth structure point of view. A bridge invariably involves cutting down two healthy teeth down to a stump which can increase the risk of future root canal treatments on these teeth.
Lots of generalities above but if the root canals done with an endodontist great chance of holding onto teeth.

I still think you are missing a point. If your Irish dentist says you need root canal and crown, and you then decide to shop around for that treatment abroad, then the risk you refer to would be based on faulty advice of Irish dentist. You are not submitting to elaborate extra treatment, but carrying out a procedure recommended by your Irish dentist.

Hes saying is thats theres no point in spending lots of money fixing teeth if theres a ongoing issue with decay or gum disease. You need to get that sorted and on top of it, with your own eating habits, dental hygiene etc. Otherwise you might be back in 6 months getting all that work redone. If its an emergency then thats a difference scenerio. You need to do something quick. But thats regardless of where you go. Saving/repairing teeth is expensive. Either you can afford it or you can't. Personally I'd prefer to drive an old car and save my teeth. You'll hopefully have the teeth for your entire life. You see many older people driven batty with problems with bridges, dentures etc.

If you have a crown/root canal done thats probably 3 visits with a gap of a week or two between. Personally it makes more sense for me to go to a dentist thats 5 mins walk away, and knows my dental history than taking a bunch of time off which I don't have.

In Ireland there are extraordinary dental fees overcharged imo and most others for both routine and complicated dental requirements

I would suggest that the original poster check out Northern Ireland for dentistry

I would highly reccommend these as a starting point in Newry and if you required major work of an extraordinary nature they will put you in contact with the right people [broken link removed] all fees at a much lower price and with top quality treatment. And no I have zero connections with them.

Don't believe any nonsense from Southern based "dentists" about different training or different materials being used in the North than down South. You will receive excellent treatment (in many ways better) and the exact same materials being used for crowns etc.

Dentists here doth protest too much!

feck!
They are more expensive than us for all dentures, post and core, tooth whitening, maryland bridge and veneers.
Werner thanks a million for that link.
Now I really need to review our prices!

This is exactly my point aircobra as the current advertising guidelines prohibit this, but thankfully change is afoot and soon the playing field will be level and we can market much more effectively against these sources.
My prices are displayed in waiting room fwiw.

It appears that dental services are subject to the following:
Restrictions on advertising
Restrictions on who can fit dentures
Restrictions on number of dentists qualifying to meet a rising and aging population.

Are there any other restrictions associated with the provision of dental services? Does the association produce recommended fee guidelines for its members?

Does the association produce recommended fee guidelines for its members?
Not now or ever. Completely illegal and anti-competitive.
Are there any other restrictions associated with the provision of dental services?
Government induced specifically for the poorest in society. Medical card scheme is disgraceful. Completely underfunded, terrible admin nightmare run by HSE which have NO interest in patient care and are hounding practices out of the medical card scheme.

Was on holiday in spain. Got root canal for 70euro and crown for 195euro!

Hi,
Went to Newry and got a root canal and best crown avaialble for 850euro... happy days..
My Kildare dentist offered me the option of parting with 1800euro..No thanks...

Colm..

Had root canal treatment on back tooth yesterday and will have to have the tooth crowned. Total cost €750 in Newry. Have to have it crowned as I only have 2 back teeth on that side and I want to keep my own teeth for as long as I can. I paid €44 for a checkup + 3 xrays. One filling on back tooth cost €38 and cleaning €19. The dentist told me it costs more to have root canal done on a back tooth. The dentist I go to in Newry studied and trained in Dublin.

feck!
They are more expensive than us for all dentures, post and core, tooth whitening, maryland bridge and veneers.
Werner thanks a million for that link.
Now I really need to review our prices!

Will you be reviewing your prices on just the above list or on all your treatments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back