Irish People being threathened by their Government

The lead story on the RTE news today is that even the humble Guards are getting in on the act of threatening the nation:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0222/368994-garda-pay-protest/

How are they threatening the nation? My employer provides me with a mobile and laptop so I can do my job. They also make sure my travelling expenses are met in full. If this wonderful nation is asking its Garda force to use their own phones and vehicles at their own cost (and they are because I have seen it) and then come along to tell them they are cutting their pay as well, then I don't blame them for being peeved. If the guards are exaggerating about how much they have to use their own equipment, then this protest won't even be noticed.

I am sure they will still be around to save your butt if you need them.

How I would love that to be true

The fact is that Labour are bankrolled by the public sector unions, and will act in their paymasters interests, rather than the national interest.

Just look at Howlin only be able to identify €30m of savings from the €1bn "allowances" paid to public servants. This government lacks the spine to stand up to the unions, and will continue to punish the private sector worker and small businessman for creating wealth.

As you correctly point out, our children and their children, will be left to pick up the tab for sky high payments in welfare and public sector pay and pensions.

As the unions keep telling us: "Ni neart go cur le cheile"

The Labour Party have been traditionally linked with Trade Unions however it is a gross exaggeration to suggest that the Party are bankrolled by Unions - the Unions do contribute but the amount in question is only a small fraction of the funds raised - unless of course you have information or a link to prove otherwise.

Such donations are to become a thing of the past shortly when the Labour supported legislation is enacted to prevent excessive Corporate donations to political parties.

Such donations are to become a thing of the past shortly when the Labour supported legislation is enacted to prevent excessive Corporate donations to political parties.

Didnt stop any of the following list of Labour ministers taking the absolute legal maximum "donation" of €2,500 from SIPTU in the 2011 election: Joan Burton, Ruairi Quinn and Brendan Howlin, along with TDs Anne Ferris, Kevin Humphreys, Colm Keaveney, Ged Nash, Willie Penrose, Emmet Stagg and Jack Wall.

If Labour are so supportive of this new legislation to stop political parties taking back-handers from large vested interests (in this case the unions), why did they accept this bung in the first place?

Good to see Labour's decline in the polls - no doubt they will be decimated in the next election.

Didnt stop any of the following list of Labour ministers taking the absolute legal maximum "donation" of €2,500 from SIPTU in the 2011 election: Joan Burton, Ruairi Quinn and Brendan Howlin, along with TDs Anne Ferris, Kevin Humphreys, Colm Keaveney, Ged Nash, Willie Penrose, Emmet Stagg and Jack Wall.

If Labour are so supportive of this new legislation to stop political parties taking back-handers from large vested interests (in this case the unions), why did they accept this bung in the first place?

Good to see Labour's decline in the polls - no doubt they will be decimated in the next election.

Be careful in the language that you use. It's not your house on the line if someone decides they don't like being accused of taking bungs.

Be careful in the language that you use. It's not your house on the line if someone decides they don't like being accused of taking bungs.

Yet more threats from Government and Labour supporters.

Who? Lots of blame to go around or are we still blaming Bertie? I do remember the current government calling for cuts in spending and tax rises during the boom. Or was that a dream..............

Political parties blaming each other makes me laugh. Left, right, centre, all they want to do is win elections. They would have all done the same thing. In many ways they would have done more damage. How high would social welfare and public sector pay have been if labour had been in power. And FG can hardly claim that they would have been the party to stand up to the banks and other vested interests. It's all one big game as FF's recent recovery shows.
+1
Well said, I for one am going back to an unapologetic non-voter stance; since I don't agree with anything the politicians are doing or suggesting to do, I am certainly not going to give them my permission. And fortunately I am very well positioned to leave if or when things start going really bad.

The fact is that Labour are bankrolled by the public sector unions, and will act in their paymasters interests, rather than the national interest.
That is the problem, the taxpayer is not represented in public sector union negotiations.

I must say that I agree with the OP's statement. It is as if this country is being run by a herd of "thick" self serving, cold, slightly odd people who are totally lacking in empathy, feeding off each other. Listening to Enda Kenny sneer at Michael Martin when Michael Martin raised the issue of the mobility allowance. He could only sneer, because that is what he does best until his spin doctors tell him that maybe that was not such a good idea.
Just watch his next appearance when the issue is raised again and he will be all teary eyed because he has been told to put on the act. Cold to the bone.

I wonder if this government would do to Irish bank savers what the Cypriot government is doing to it's people. Indirectly they have been doing exactly this, with all their taxes and cuts. Personally I think that they are capable of doing it.

I wonder if this government would do to Irish bank savers what the Cypriot government is doing to it's people. Indirectly they have been doing exactly this, with all their taxes and cuts. Personally I think that they are capable of doing it.

I think you will find it is the EU/IMF who are imposing this tax on Cypriot savings - but feel free to blame the Government for everything that happens

They are half way there now, they are going to take tax or Property tax from our accounts,

Of course the Irish people feel threatened by our government. Only on Sunday a government spokesman indicated that the robbery of peoples' bank accounts in Cyprus was fair and just. Do our government know what they are doing? I dont think so. I dont trust them and feel nobody in their right mind trusts them either. Unfortunately, the government before this lot were worse. So we dont even have a choice.

So will you be standing in the next election then?

Mandelbrot, it is likely that neither you nor I will be standing for election any time. And if we did, it would cost us in advertising and losing our deposits etc.

Therefore, most of us depend on our political parties and we want honesty, openness, fair play. Unfortunately, these are in short supply in nearly all our politicians. Just look at the broken promises, corruption and lies.

Next time out, I'll probably be spoiling my vote. I dont see the point in voting through the card with what has and is being happening in Ireland.

I don't say the foregoing lightly. This recession has caused misery, death, poverty, unemployment, divisions, etc. And guess what - none of those who caused all this has been jailed.

Of course the Irish people feel threatened by our government. Only on Sunday a government spokesman indicated that the robbery of peoples' bank accounts in Cyprus was fair and just. Do our government know what they are doing? I dont think so. I dont trust them and feel nobody in their right mind trusts them either. Unfortunately, the government before this lot were worse. So we dont even have a choice.

Would be good to see Michael McDowell making a come back into politics.

None of the political parties represent the wealth generating private sector worker or entrepreneur.

what we really need now is a strong radical new party, its time to get rid of FF/FG with their middle of the road, toe the line policies! its just dosent work anymore.

I think you will find it is the EU/IMF who are imposing this tax on Cypriot savings - but feel free to blame the Government for everything that happens

Noonan supports the "levy" on Cyprus deposits.

The very same Noonan who wanted to compansate Eircom Shareholders.

Therefore, most of us depend on our political parties and we want honesty, openness, fair play. Unfortunately, these are in short supply in nearly all our politicians.
The problem is the electorate; if a politician told the truth they would never get elected. Just look at the support that Sinn Fein and the loony left get with economic policies based on nothing more than click your heels three times and thing of Kansas and we'll be alright.
People don't like the truth, they want platitudes and simplistic easy fixes instead.

The problem is the electorate; if a politician told the truth they would never get elected. Just look at the support that Sinn Fein and the loony left get with economic policies based on nothing more than click your heels three times and thing of Kansas and we'll be alright.
People don't like the truth, they want platitudes and simplistic easy fixes instead.

We want more than that. We want an end to this "austerity" and most of all we'd all, deep-deep down, love another good ole building boom so we could cash in. We want Fianna Fail and it shows in the opinion polls. :rolleyes: x 1m

Back