Irelandes Eurovision Entry 2008 - Dustin the Turkey

Heard the EuroDustin song for the first time yesterday on Derek Mooney show....it's great fun. He manages to mention evry European country in it, i think! One reviewer was worrying about the image of Ireland it would present to Europe. Better than the Temple bar image, I say! Or leprauchauns! Or Bertie! Go on ye good thing! get the votes in for it on Saturday, folks!

As if the Croatians, Bosnians, Slovenians, Macedonians, Serbians, Montenegrins are going to vote for anyone other than each other - unless we pick up a point or 2 for novelty value, like last years winner!

As if the Croatians, Bosnians, Slovenians, Macedonians, Serbians, Montenegrins are going to vote for anyone other than each other - unless we pick up a point or 2 for novelty value, like last years winner!

All the more reason to have him represent us! The message being: "Listen, we've won this thing so many times we don't care...we don't take it seriously any more and this is why we have sent a turkey to represent us this year adn take the P out of the farce that Eurovision has become"

clubman you just made my friday I'd forgotten how much I loved my lovely horse :) still brilliant

You know, in all fairness, we could have a chance to win the thing! All we do is: send Dustin on a whistle stop tour of all competing nations, to perform on morning/evening/kids daily shows. Build up a head of steam and then when it comes to the contest itself we'll pick up the votes to get out of the semi and once he's in the main one, who knows!!!!!

This is how all the eastern europeans have been doing it since, well, since they started to win! Ruslana was on 2 Croatian stations in one day (morning show and evening chat) as well as giving radio interviews. The next day she hit Bosnia, a day later Serbia (having kicked off in Slovenia) and then she continued around the Balkans.

In 15 days she'd visited 11 countries and pretty much made a name for herself. I don't know if she began the trend, but lots of acts have been following this route since, anyone remember the Slovenian entry on the Den 2 years ago?

Dustin for the Eurovision win, then for President!

Surely I can't be the only one getting excited about Dustin's chances. Any more Euro(vision)philes out there?

Anyone else think it was embarrassingly amateurish? Pity cause there was a bit of a dance tune there and the basic idea could have been brilliant. Sending a turkey to the eurovision. Think it was an opportunity missed though. Dustin the turkey is not very identifiable as a turkey, the words were indecipherable, the whole thing about it being wheeled out by man or men in hoods was just rubbish. Compare with some of the other polished performances...haven't seen the result yet but know what my call on it is.

Yes Vanilla you got it in one. Rubbish - although I backed him a few months ago. Stuff the turkey:mad:.

Think he came 13th out of 19, so missed the cut by 3. I thought it wasnt the worst, he seemed to "sing" a bit clearer on the night, overall thought it was a bit of craic.

Maybe its just the continental europeans are a bit of a drier/more earnest crowd and dont get the joke .... or, worse still, maybe they think Eurovision is something worth caring about.

... or, worse still, maybe they think Eurovision is something worth caring about.

I think it actually is still quite a big deal for many countries.

Don't worry, they'll change their tune as soon as they start hosting for consecutive years.

There's the "strategy of the smart surrender". This is the argument that we are likely to lose anyway, so we may as well go along with it, get the best result we can and maybe show some talent along the way.

There's also the "strategy of the bad loser". This is the argument that we are likely to lose anyway, so we may as well give 'em two fingers, show our arses and tell em to f-off.

I'd prefer the first way myself and I couldn't help feeling that Dustin was in the second category.

Back