Ireland 2nd out of 19 countries for nurses per capita

The problem is your claim that women working less is "mainly driven by biology, It's just the way we're made."
A century of psychological research tends to suggest that average sex differences in psychological traits are partly cultural, partly biological. Whatever the cause, women do (on average) have more of a preference for spending time with their children than men do and this is the same the world over.

I don’t blame anyone for wanting to work part time and this “too many female GPs don’t work full time” claim is a red herring. Every profession has men and women in it with children of various ages and it’s normal and healthy that some staff work part time.

My own amateur view is that we should charge undergraduates more for medical school but also pay them more when they start to work.

My own amateur view is that we should charge undergraduates more for medical school but also pay them more when they start to work.

Charging more for certain degrees is a dangerous game, especially in a small country.

My friend group all worked throughout college and several of us had scholarships but we still struggled. If we had to take out loans to study in Ireland we would just have bitten the bullet and gone abroad to higher prestige universities or we would have done other degrees. The Leaving Cert is a crude instrument and high points does not equal a good doctor but you don't want to deter high-performing students with fees alone.

In my class in college 1 friend had been offered a place to study maths at MIT but turned it down for medicine in Ireland because of cost. He is now a professor here and a brilliant clinician. 2 other friends had offers for Oxbridge - 1 of them is now an excellent GP down the country and the other is a senior public health doctor. The handful of people that I know who did end up growing abroad for their degrees have not returned.

A century of psychological research tends to suggest that average sex differences in psychological traits are partly cultural, partly biological. Whatever the cause, women do (on average) have more of a preference for spending time with their children than men do and this is the same the world over.
The studies show that the fewer the societal and economic constraints there are the more pronounced the biological differences are. The more equal the country is the less likely it is that women work longer hours and the more likely it is they choose jobs in what are considered to be more attractive to females.
I don’t blame anyone for wanting to work part time and this “too many female GPs don’t work full time” claim is a red herring. Every profession has men and women in it with children of various ages and it’s normal and healthy that some staff work part time.
I've made it clear that men and women should be free to make whatever life choices they want. In a discussion about GP resources and total numbers of doctors working in General Practice is it perfectly reasonable to discuss the amount of hours those doctors work. The lies told by those doctors about how long they work don't help. It's good to establish the facts, point out the disinformation and lies and look at the root causes. That's all.
Maybe, but we should certainly have a mechanism to recoup the cost of their training if they choose to leave the country within 5 years of qualifying. Maybe a student loan system they is automatically paid off over the first 5 years if they remain in employment in their field in this country. The same could be done for Nurses.

Maybe, but we should certainly have a mechanism to recoup the cost of their training if they choose to leave the country within 5 years of qualifying. Maybe a student loan system they is automatically paid off over the first 5 years if they remain in employment in their field in this country. The same could be done for Nurses.

You couldn't bring that in just for medicine/nursing, you would have to do it for every course.

You couldn't bring that in just for medicine/nursing, you would have to do it for every course.
True, and the people who studied Celtic Studies and Heraldry or some such thing will struggle to pay off the loan from their job stacking shelves. That said it is far more expensive to train a doctor or nurse than it is to fund an Arts degree.

You really are a Philistine. o_O
I've been called worse. In fact I've been called worse inn the last 24 hours, right here on this site. I didn't have to google your insult to know it was an insult so try harder ;)

Is it an insult if it's also an observation?

I've been called worse. In fact I've been called worse inn the last 24 hours, right here on this site. I didn't have to google your insult to know it was an insult so try harder ;)

Is it an insult if it's also an observation?
It takes all kinds to make a world. Nurses, doctors, shelf stackers, Philistines, celtic studies graduates and even heraldry artists.

Fun fact, Freddie Mercury studied design including heraldry at Ealing Art college. He used this training to design the Queen crest.

Back