Ikea Belfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Have you checked http://www.unflatpack.com/cgi-bin/unflatpack.cgi ? I considered this for ordering stuff from IKEA, but then delivery directly from IKEA would have worked out slightly cheaper. So I think you'd have to try and be more competitive than this. I'd say if you picked one delivery day per week (or less frequently) and did groupdeliveries for certain areas in the South you could keep the cost down. I think up to 100Euros would be the most I'd be happy to pay, as like previous posters said, you could do it yourself by hirign a van, and maybe even get it cheaper....

My view is that Ikea goods are not really suitable for ordering online - unless you have already actually seen them in reality. For most people, this will mean a visit to the store.

The reason I say this, is that many of the items can look a bit different in reality to the online or catalogue version. They are (nearly) all excellent value however.

So, for most people this would mean a trip to Belfast anyway (or Dublin later). Most people will therefore be able to cope with small to medium items in a normal car. For larger items, or group purchases, I think you should look at the delivery charges in the Scottish stores. Personally, I think that a maximum of €50-100 per pallet or pallet equivalent is the most I would pay. Otherwise, it's more economic to hire/borrow a van - given that most people going to Ikea are looking for particularly good value (unlike normal 'local' furniture stores, where cheap delivery is effectively included as part of the package, and you pay more overall anyway).

Have no plans to go there yet, but I'd also agree that a €150 delivery charge would put me off. I appreciate the costs involved, and imagine that you'd want to move to at least a mid sized truck to achieve an economy of scale to compete with established courier companies.

As an example, I had 3 large boxes, one of which was a 50kg pillar drill on a pallet delivered from the UK for less than €70.
Leo

From cork there is a flight to belfast I would consider taking -No way I'd drive up -delivery depends on quantity delivered ~€150 but would have to work out cheaper than a flight to glasgow and delivery from there Possibly benchmark it from that?

Hi all,

Won't bore you with detail but I'm carrying out some research into IKEA Belfast from a Home Delivery view and was hoping you would be good enough to provide genuine feedback on the following:

Your County
Likelihood of visiting IKEA Belfast and using a home delivery service at the store
A fair price in your opinion for delivery (Please be realistic, honest and bear in mind order size may impact)

Thanks, may see some of you in Belfast in the future ;)

Wexford
Likelyhood: High, the missus is Swedish and well most likely be up most weekends!
Delivery price. Free for big expensive stuff, i wouldnt expect or use such a service for small stuff

We used edinburgh's order and delivery service, bloody awful and not cheap, much prefer get the stuff ourselves in future.

Likelyhood: Pretty high

I'd pay maybe €50-€100, depending on the size and weight of the items. Maybe as high as €150 for stuff that would take up a lot of load space.

Are you all mad ? There would be large demand for delivery to major towns and cities. Why have a small van when a large one would be more efficient. €80 max and possibly less depending on size of order. I would be bringing two cars up one for transporting the family, the other for transporting furniture. Wouldn't go near the place until New year as it will be manic. Can't understand why the store doesn't open at 8am on a Saturday, there will certainly be a demand for it.

South East, would definitely use delivery service. I would also like the option of online shopping without actually visiting store. I would pay an extra 10% for delivery, with max of 150 euro.

Guys,

Again many thanks for feedback. Unfortunately the home delivery service is not operated by IKEA and therefore as a 3rd party delivery costs will exist on any delivery. I appreciate that you all anticipate their would be a demand but it's hard to plan for something that is unforseen and may not be just how you would imagine it, all comments and feedback are taken on board.....:)

I think I'd be happy to pay €150 for delivery of a van load of goods to the south east if it would save me the hassle of driving to Belfast! Anything over that mark then I'd arrange delivery myself

I'd have no issue paying a delivery charge... but what would really float my boat would be an ASSEMBLY SERVICE (me & husband are as much use as chocolate teapots when it comes to self-assembly gear).

Something you should note, BTW, Dunnes offer free delivery for their larger furniture items (I'm getting a chest of drawers delivered tomorrow)

Your study may well be horribly biased. It's restricted to people who use AskAboutMoney. Presumably sample will fit a certain profile, ie;
- People who a reasonably financially savvy, and might be inclined to travel for a bargain.
- People with internet access.

In addition, of this subset, you are only sampling those who are interested enough to click on the thread titled 'Ikea Belfast'. People will read the thread if they are either bored (like me) or interested in Ikea Balfast, and when it will open etc.

You should really do a more random sample, maybe question people who visit B&Q in liffy valley or something.

Anyway, to answer your question
Your County - Kerry

Likelihood of visiting IKEA Belfast and using a home delivery service at the store - zero to non-existant

A fair price in your opinion for delivery (Please be realistic, honest and bear in mind order size may impact) - depends on what I was ordering. €100 max.

Leghorn,

Appreciate your comments but the reality is this service will be offered, i'm simply trying to get a feel on how people think. an abundance of people pay £190 for delivery from Glasgow at the minute, I know their will be a demand, just interested in peoples perceptions!

Ref assembly service, can say that i know it will be offered, not sure if its extends to Rep though!:eek:

I've done Glasgow, Edinburgh and Warrington and used various options - brought stuff home myself, arranged delivery in-store and ordered online. Online ordering is great for big-ticket stuff (I'm assuming you'll have paid a visit to the store to give items a once-over - a bit mad not to). I had awful trouble with one shipment from Glasgow but otherwise it's been pretty good. I've paid around the £200 mark each time. It's a little high but I'm always saving way more on the goods themselves. For delivery within Ireland I'd expect the cost to be less so €100 - €200 tops would be reasonable depending on size of order.

Is this DFDS?

Looking forward to the Dublin store also but no doubt Dublin will find some way to balls the whole Ikea experience up as we do with many other imports due to our poor infrastructure, inability to provide a reasonable level of customer service and probably doubling in price of goods compared to Ikea anywhere else in Europe. End of slightly off-topic rant.

I've just been to Ikea in Vannes, France. Granted I bought more from Castorama and Leroy Merlin but this was only because I know ikea's about to open in Belfast. It's great stuff and we picked what we wanted from the internet beforehand and all of it lived up to our expectations. I'd definitely use a delivery service but as everyone else says, not too expensive!

Guys,

Appreciate all responses, we have a fine balancing act to come up with on the pricing and generating demand, which we're working on as we speak.
It is worth bearing in mind the current Glasgow service cost E280 for two trolleys, we certainly would be hoping to operate at a lower price than that!

ShieldsNI - I'd be interested, from Kildare, and the key factors for me would be:

1. My time (and partner's time) saved from visiting the store on a day off (eg weekend)
2. Savings in car expenses and petrol.

€100 or less could be attractive for spends of €500-€2000. Spends higher than that range, maybe a little more, but no more than €150. Spends less than that, maye €50.

Just a gut feel, as many more questions could be asked.

I echo some of the previous comments, and would say that a better research method should be used, such as employing one of the research agencies to carry out online or telephone research (some of the least expensive methods).

Bob

ShieldSni,
I think that is the second time you have mentioned the Glasgow price is Euro280 for two trollies. If this is to set a price expectation of something slightly lower for delivery from Belfast, I think it is well off the mark. The Glasgow delivery necessitates a truckroll and ferry transport from overseas. From Belfast you are talking about a truck driving down the M1 and then dispersal into the rest of Ireland. If it were loaded with several orders, as it would need to be, the costs should not be that high. I suspect a huge amount of demand will come from Dublin city and the East coast which is max 2-3 hours straight down the M1 from Belfast.
I too have had furniture delivered from Ikea UK through various guises and I believe that anything over E100 won't fly for the majority of customers. Didn't Next direct offer furniture delivery at E50 per piece when they introduced it into Ireland and they had to reduce it to a max of E25 as it wasn't moving at the higher delivery charge?
Just my thoughts.

Guys,

Appreciate all responses, we have a fine balancing act to come up with on the pricing and generating demand, which we're working on as we speak.
It is worth bearing in mind the current Glasgow service cost E280 for two trolleys, we certainly would be hoping to operate at a lower price than that!

Likelihood of visiting Belfast: 100% - have been waiting years. Like others, plan to rent a van.
Interested in home delivery also, esp. in case stuff is out of stock, but would have to include internet ordering - which IKEA now offers in other countries.
150 euros sounds OK, esp if buying furniture too big for a car. I would be happy to wait for a weekly run or summat.

Guys,

Appreciate all the feedback and would appreciate any more that comes this way. A figure springing to mind for delivery costing is similar to what MF suggests of up to 150 euros.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back