If you havent repaid your bank loan in the UK can you be caught entering EU?

E

Estera

Is there possibility that you can be cautght by local authorities at EU border ( entering from outside EU) because of not paying your bank loan in UK?

I don't know, my friend left the UK (he lives in Asia now)and I'm not sure if bank has sued him for not paying his installments. What are the chances that bank will turn to the court? And if so, what are the consequences? Can he be caught entering e.g. Germany?

Well, Michael Lynn didn't have any issues traveling back in 2007 with all he owed anyway (Remember him?). That was down to their not being an international arrest warrant out for him.

Thanks TSThomas. As I understood, till there is no an international arrest warant issued against my friend in the UK, he can come back to EU without stress of being caught at the border ( and we are not talking about millions here, he owns bank smth like 15K). Do you know perhaps in what cases they issue such warrant?

Unless someone here was in the court there is no way to know.

It would be pure guessing , and I don't think your friend will want to risk his liberty on the guess of someone on an internet forum.

I don't know, my friend left the UK (he lives in Asia now)and I'm not sure if bank has sued him for not paying his installments. What are the chances that bank will turn to the court? And if so, what are the consequences? Can he be caught entering e.g. Germany?

Could he not just contact his bank and ask the question, "hello, are you suing me?"

Historically I know UK banks used often to simply sell such debts to debt collection agencies rather then go through the courts for such relatively small sums

Hi, I've never heard of this in the UK where someone owing 15K would be arrested at the point of entry.Owing money of this amount is a civil matter not a criminal offence? Unless there is more to the story? The bank would go through the usual channels to collect the debt including the courts but not to the extent of issuing a warrant for an arrest. ( It's not an arrestable offence ) How long has he been out of the country? If he has not had any contact with either the bank or the debt for 6 years he could be in the clear.

Has "your friend" considered repaying the Debt that they OWE?

Let me know when "your friend" is entering the EU and at which entry point and also tell me the bank in question and i'll see if I can help to get this all cleared up.

A bank shareholder speaks! :D

lol. Did I come accross that bitter? well thankfully no, not a shareholder. At least not directly - just a general Macro economic "shareholder"!

Also a lawful citizen - this is theft pure and simple.

Paddy

Let me know when "your friend" is entering the EU and at which entry point and also tell me the bank in question and i'll see if I can help to get this all cleared up.

Wouldn't you be better off chasing the guys who owe billions?
Or those who defrauded investors? Or even a few property developers?

He should be able to get a UK based solicitor to check county court judgements to see if his name is anywhere, or even do it online.

Back