If the Ford Focus heavy on petrol?

LBT

thinking of buying a 2007 1.4 Ford Focus just wondering is the Focus very heavy on petrol??

Last edited:
Re: Calling all Ford Focus owners!!!

thinking of buying a 2007 1.4 Ford Focus just wondering is the Focus very heavy on petrol??

It's not too bad petrol wise but I'm driving a 05 1.4l Focus and wouldn't go there again. The car is too heavy and needs the 1.6l engine. It just feels dead and when you put your foot down there's not much of a response.

I have a 1.4 Zetec Connection and it does on average 32mpg. It does feel a bit underpowered but it's not the end of the world.

I think the diesel 1.6 is the one to go for if fuel economy is a major concern.

I had a 1.6 Petrol focus and it was grand on petrol. I have a 2.5 one now and it aint too easy on juice :)
I have driven the 1.4 and I agree that it is a bit underpowered.
Go for the 1.6 petrol if you can - or the 1.6 diesel if you are really concerned about fuel economy.
However with the price of diesel these days I'm not sure what may be best....

I have a 1.6 diesel focus. Got it about 2 months ago and so far am quite happy with it!

I'm averaging slightly over 52mpg so if its fuel economy your after, the diesel is the way to go.

I've only test driven the 1.4 focus but as others have said it does feel way underpowered. Mine is the 110bhp 1.6 diesel. There is also a 90bhp which I also found al little on the sluggish side.

I have a friend with a 1.6 petrol and he is very happy with it. He is in the market for his second one at the moment! Reckons he gets over 40mpg but all his driving is open road!

1.6 petrol is pretty good. 40mpg is possibvle on longer runs. 30mpg around town.

1.4 (I had one as a runaround) is a bit pedestrian.

I wouldn't be doing major driving I do about 500km every 2 weeks I live about 20km away from the city. I have a 1.0 litre car at the moment and I put in about 50 every 12 days.....

I had a 1.4 petrol and I could've walked quicker :D
To be honest I wasn't too fond it it at all, only kept it for bout 6 months, just not for me..... sorry
My sis had one tho and loved it, make sure u test drive it first to see how it drives....

I agree with views re 1.4 Focus as against 1.6. I had 1.6 and traded for a 1.4 and noticed the the difference . I might upgrade to 1.6 and have been told that if I wait til July , I can have the 1.8TDCi 4 door Ghia for the same price as the 1.6i petrol. The diesel model is in the low emissions class, 150€ car tax and lower vrt.

I have a 1.4 focus estate and I love it. It's very roomy and comfortable, great for the family. I only use it locally really though so I don't use a lot of petrol usually one fill up lasts a month and costs about €65

i have a 1.4 2005 LX. The car is ok but not great for petrol. It does around 30mpg around town as predicted by Ford's urban cycle test of 8.7L/100km. On long trips from Cork to Monaghan -more like 40mpg. I say i could do better if i kept around 100km/hour on the trip as the car goes above 3000 revs on a motorway at 120km/hour. It is underpowered versus 1.6L as it is a heavy car. Depends is you need or want the extra power really. I don't as most my driving is around town.

My MIL gave the best description of the 1.4 Focus - 'great car if it had an engine'

hi all
i have a 03 ford focus estate1.6lx and it is a nightmare with petrol.
i only get 470 miles with 50 euro worth of petrol.
i am definitely going to change to a diesel.

hi all, i have a 03 ford focus estate 1.6lx and it is really bad with petrol
i get 470 miles with 50 euro worth of petrol
definitely changing to a diesel

hi all, i have a 03 ford focus estate 1.6lx and it is really bad with petrol
i get 470 miles with 50 euro worth of petrol
definitely changing to a diesel

Petrol is c.€1.20 a litre. That is €5.45 a gallon. €50 buys 9.17 gallons.

470/9.17 = 51.25mpg.

You should be delighted with that :D

Have a 1.6 Focus Cmax and it eats the petrol - sorriest move I ever made - I constantly seem to be topping it up.
It's a nice car to drive but boring to look at.
Feel a change a coming !
Back to a smaller 1.4 - the dogs will have to get used to the back seat again !

I considered the 1.4 Focus but was also put off by it's sluggish attitude. I didn’t want to pay the extra for the 1.6 or the higher annual tax, insurance and fuel costs so I went for a Toyota, the 1.4 Auris or Corolla have far better performance than the Focus. Fuel economy, reliability and resale are also second to none.

Have a 1.6 Focus Cmax and it eats the petrol - sorriest move I ever made - I constantly seem to be topping it up.
It's a nice car to drive but boring to look at.
Feel a change a coming !
Back to a smaller 1.4 - the dogs will have to get used to the back seat again !

I owned the exact same vehicle and it was ok on fuel, considering it's size and weight.

It's certainly competitive with anything else in the same class.

I considered the 1.4 Focus but was also put off by it's sluggish attitude. I didn’t want to pay the extra for the 1.6 or the higher annual tax, insurance and fuel costs so I went for a Toyota, the 1.4 Auris or Corolla have far better performance than the Focus. Fuel economy, reliability and resale are also second to none.

They are relatively poor to drive though.

Back