If my PAC code on my AIB account is compromised?

Your Personal Access Code was changed on xxxxxxxxxxxxx​
If this was you, that's OK, but if you didn’t do this someone may be using your account. Please go to aib.ie/security for more information on what to do next.
And instead of doing that immediately, you posted here? Seems odd.

i hope you didn't click on the link from the text. But rather call AIB from the number given by AIB website that you search yourself.

I recalled a while back (not sure if it was AIB), the scammer change one letter in the link that would look similar to the normal character, unless you were paying very close attention to it, you would think it was spelled correctly/legitimate.

Anyway, did the bank confirm for you that someone did try to change the PAC? (They would have had a record)

Are you allocated a PAC from AIB or do you choose the number yourself?

Would a scammer need to know your existing PAC to change it to a new Pac for themselves?

Are you allocated a PAC from AIB or do you choose the number yourself?

Would a scammer need to know your existing PAC to change it to a new Pac for themselves?
It's allocated. To get a code reset, you do not need to know the existing code, but need to go through security questions with AIB.

If someone had access to your Debit card, mobile phone, and the answers to your security questions, they could possibly change your code without your knowledge.

Note, the OP does not have a smartphone so the security protocol is slightly different. Access to debit card and PIN replaces smartphone notifications. However, a scammer could register a smart device once they've changed, or know, PAC.

Note, the OP does not have a smartphone so the security protocol is slightly different. Access to debit card and PIN replaces smartphone notifications. However, a scammer could register a smart device once they've changed, or know, PAC.
So, if a person does not have a smartphone they can really only have a debit card and do basic transactions like ATM withdrawals, in-branch machine transactions, buy online using code on card, supermarket purchases using PIN number? Tap?

Now with the double security protocols how does this work when purchasing online?

I don't operate online banking. Can you explain how the above works? Thanks
Hi, mine is already set up with a smartphone so I can't do the process, but I have set it up before for a family member without a smartphone.

The option is available, but they don't draw attention to it.

I would suggest the best option is to call AIB on the numbers on the link below, and explain you don't have a smartphone but want to register for Phone & Internet banking. They will send you a small card reader that your debit card slots into (you need it even if you have a smartphone in order to set up new payments), and that will generate a login code for you.

From https://aib.ie/psd2
I don’t have a smartphone – what do I do?
If you don’t have a mobile phone, you’ll need a Card Reader to set up for SCA. You can order a Card Reader from the services and settings in Internet Banking. Once the SCA screens appear on Internet Banking you can simply choose the Card Reader option to order a Card Reader.

If you need a Usability Card Reader, you can order one by calling AIB Phone Banking on [phone number removed].

I don't have internet banking on my account.

It appears that a person was able to create a completely new PAC code on my account without me knowing anything about it until I got a text saying here is your 8 digit code.

I just wanted to know what information would have been available to this person. Name and Address, Date of Birth, email account, PPS number and could they have changed this information and down the road created a new 8 digit security code for themselves?
is it possible this was a scam text trying to lure you in by calling it back?

is it possible this was a scam text trying to lure you in by calling it back?
Didn't AIB confirm that the text was legitimate because the PAC was changed? I thought that that had been clarified earlier but looking back now I can't see that it was. The whole thread is a bit confusing to be honest.

Back