If my PAC code on my AIB account is compromised?

WaterWater

I believe that my PAC code on my AIB current account was compromised.

How can this be used by the person who now has it, what access do they have to my account, what information can they glean?

Can they change my existing personal details?

Thanks

I just logged into AIB on my laptop and put in my PAC and I had to confirm it on my phone.

So if yours is set up this way, the PAC won't be enough to access your account.

Brendan

I have just logged in on my phone.

I just needed the PAC. I am not sure if someone else who knew my account number and PAC could log in from their phone.

Brendan

If you login from a device you have never used before (or it's been a while since you've used a device e.g. more than 30 days) then you should need both the PAC and phone confirmation. PAC alone is usually not enough.

If someone had your phone (and knew how to unlock it) and the AIB app was installed and used within the last 30 days then someone with your PAC could view accounts, etc. using the PAC alone.

This has been done.

I was more interested in finding out what this person could have done with this information.
Surely you can see what you can do yourself with your PAC and/or phone and then you know what someone else can do the same thing with the same info?

Registration number & PAC are enough for AIBs "limited access" online banking. You can't change details or initiate payments to anyone new, but someone could access a lot of data to assist them in scamming further.
I don't have internet banking on my account.

It appears that a person was able to create a completely new PAC code on my account without me knowing anything about it until I got a text saying here is your 8 digit code.

I just wanted to know what information would have been available to this person. Name and Address, Date of Birth, email account, PPS number and could they have changed this information and down the road created a new 8 digit security code for themselves?

I don't have internet banking on my account.

It appears that a person was able to create a completely new PAC code on my account without me knowing anything about it until I got a text saying here is your 8 digit code.

I just wanted to know what information would have been available to this person. Name and Address, Date of Birth, email account, PPS number and could they have changed this information and down the road created a new 8 digit security code for themselves?
You need to talk to AIB security.

A PAC is only 6 digits.
The 8 digits is a registration number.
More likely someone had a wrong phone number than your account compromised. Or a scam text, but I haven't seen one like that.

If someone did create an account, and that person managed to also get you debit card & PIN, they could do what they like.

As I said, just change your PAC - and your password while you're at it (to a complex one not used on any other of your accounts) - and you should be fine. Also secure access to your phone as appropriate. @RedOnion's hypothesis certainly sounds plausible.

If someone did create an account, and that person managed to also get you debit card & PIN, they could do what they like
They had access to the front part of my debit card and used this information to create a PAC number. I got a security alert from the AIB as follows...

Your Personal Access Code was changed on xxxxxxxxxxxxx​
If this was you, that's OK, but if you didn’t do this someone may be using your account. Please go to aib.ie/security for more information on what to do next.​

They had access to the front part of my debit card and used this information to create a PAC number.
Understood. A lot clearer than your opening post where you said your PAC was compromised.

Sounds like a very trustworthy person!

Were you already registered for telephone banking with AIB?

If not, this person phoned AIB, answered all their security questions about you, and has created a registration for telephone & Internet banking.

If they had the PAC, they could view your accounts, see balances & transactions.

Their next step would be to get hold of your debit card & PIN, and they would then have full control of you account to do as they please.

Back