ID Design - A good bitch

A

Alan Moore

Normally I'm quite forgiving when it comes to customer service and rarely complain. However my experience with the ID Design has pushed me over my tolerance barrier.

Ordered a modular unit (18 pieces) for the living room back in October. Not cheap at over €1,500. Put down a 25% deposit. Delivery time given 4 weeks.

Spent the month of December trying to ring them on the number they gave us. No answer, sent e-mails, no answer, sent faxes, no answer.

Over the Christmas we presented ourselves at the store. Said they couldn't help us there and then but would ring us the following Monday which they did. Their answer was that they had yet to order from the supplier but they would rush it through. Apology accepted. These things sometimes happen.

About two weeks later got a phone call to say that our coffee table was damaged in transit and it would take a little longer. Pointed out that we didn't order a coffee table.

Upon correction, we were then advised some pieces of the order were damaged and another delay was in order.

After receiving a call to advise finally the full order was ready, delivery and assembly was arranged for Saturday, 07/02/04

On Saturday, having waited in all morning, we received a delivery of 5 pieces of the 18 piece unit. Between making calls to the assembly person and delivery people, nobody could tell us where the other 13 pieces were and when they would be delivered.

Eventually phoned Swords and asked to speak to the manager who advised us that this would be fully rectified by somebody who was employed solely to resolve "cock and balls ups" and that this guy would call me to arrange delivery of the missing items after 7 pm on Monday night and – guaranteed. He said also after asking about a discount that this guy would also negotiate a discount. This guy rang and said he'd be on to us on the Monday to sort out. Stayed in on Monday night and no sign of this guy.

Had it out with the shop and they arranged for delivery of the outstanding items last Saturday. They arrived out looking for full payment and guess what, we were left short 3 parts. And they need to come out again. Didn't pay them mind you.

They are supposed to ring first thing this morning and believe or not they haven't.

The saga goes on..

They have been a complete joke to deal with and needless to say wouldn't recommend them.

AM, avoided them like the plague after a friend of mine ordered a kitchen table and chairs, spoke to everyone in Ireland, UK, Scandanavia and still no sign of a 2 be 4!! Eventually got personal confirmation of delivery from MD in head office, somewhere very cold (denmark I think he said) and nothing, a week later he cancelled the order!! I would run a mile as your story confirms this is not the exception!!

Damn, was going to order my bedroom furniture from ID Design. Thanks for the warning!

Does anyone know anywhere else that has nice furniture and won't feck up the delivery?

Discount

We ordered two leather 2-seater sofas from ID Design last August, supposed to be an 8 week delivery time. We ended up waiting 16 weeks in the end, each time I rang, the staff were very polite and apologetic but the whole waiting drove us mad. I wrote to the Complaints Manager looking for a discount and they offered us €200.00 off which was fair enough. I still feel ID Design are a hell of a lot better to deal with than European Living in Blanchardstown, now - they're infuriating!!

Furniture

Just purchased all my bedroom furniture from www.irishtrading.ie . They took my order over the phone and cc details etc. Delivered the following week to Dublin from Tralee for €50. Excellent goods and an excellent service. Not to be sniffed at these days !!
Had visited their showrooms in Tralee previous to ordering as I spent ~€4000 there.

European Living

Coyote,

Couln't agree with you more regards European Living.

Bought a kitchen table and chairs (self-assembly) there last Oct., delivey time 2-4 weeks. Paid usual deposit. Received phone call after 4 weeks to say order was ready for collection. Picked up order myself and paid balance. When I got home and unpacked to asemble found I had received chairs, table without legs and a shelf unit (?). Anyway, rang to let them know what happened (these things do happen) and when could I expect to get legs for table and pick up shelf unit which I did not order. Manager told me table legs must have gone missing in the warehouse so they would search and inform me once found. Received a call about a week later to say legs were found and they would send a courier to house to deliver legs and pick up shelf unit. Courier subsequently delivery 'legs' and picked up shelf unit. When I opened box I found another table minus the legs - now I have two table tops but no legs. Rang courier to say I still did not receive legs and could he check. He did and in fairness he only delivered what he was given by European Living.

Rang European Living to express my dissatisfaction with the whole thing so far and with much apology by the manager was told that the legs would need to be ordered again (another 4 weeks). Biting my tongue, I accepted apology and decided to wait as the missus really liked the table.

4 weeks later followed up (as I had not been contacted) to see if legs had arrived, no but would be next few days. Few days later, no still had'nt arrived and could not tell me an exact date. In the end (week before Christmas) could'nt listen to any more excuses so asked to speak with the manager to once again express my dissatisfaction. This time I did not even receive an apology from the manager or any offer of a discount so I finally told her I did'nt want the damn thing anymore. I called in to get my money and to let them know in no uncertain terms that I will be taking my business elsewhere, which I did (ID design) and whether it was luck on my part received complete table in the quoted delivery time.

missing furniture parts

Ive had practically the exact same experience as Alan but with argos while getting delivery of a bed. Ordered it mid august, final delivery of working parts mid december (involved 30 phone calls).
It is important to go as high as possible, take a note of everyone you talk to, the dates you talk to them and what they said. When you deal with a manager and they say theyll ring you back, ring them back straight after they said they'll ring you back and they havent. Ring managers managers and piss them off as much as theyve pissed you off and let them know how imcompetent the other guy was. Its not nice but in my experience, needs to be done.
Got a 40e cheque off argos as compo. Bed cost 650 so not even 10% as a sorry. Cashed it all the same tho :) .

If youre looking for a reliable furniture delivery service, may I recommend Flowerhill in navan. Ordered 3 piece suite on a saturday, got delivery FOC the saturday after in Dublin, at the time they said theyd be out too.

Seems to be an epidemic....

Will be voting with my feet. Haven't had trouble with either Jim Langans or Classic Furniture in the past.

Three bells, still haven't heard from ID Design despite been promised contact first thing this morning. Can't get an answer from the 2 numbers we have. Suspect they have caller ID.

ID Design, Swords

i had exactly the same trouble with id design in swords and i would advise anyone to avoid using this shop as they do not keep to their word. Ordered 2 pc leather sofa (3+2) in sept 03 and was told it would take 4wks delivery. after 5 wks and still nothing we phomed the shop to complain. It seems they had not even sent of the order! They apologised and the manager promised us that we would have our sofas in 2 wks. fair enough. we were annoyed but what could we do? we needed something to sit on asap! 2wks later, nothing. Went into the store to complain and was told the manager was not in, but would ring us the next day. Did he? No. So 2 days later rang back to give out and was told that one of our sofas had arrived, but the other one had been damaged and needed to be reordered. Very similar story to the beginning of this thread. The second sofa came another MONTH later and the whole saga was over. will NEVER use ID Design again!

caller id

Suspect they have caller ID.

If you dial 141 before the number you are dialling, it blocks your number from being displayed on that particular call.

(Similarly, if your number is normally withheld / ex-directory, dialling 142 before the number you are calling will reveal your number on a once-off basis.)

Cheers....

Thanks Cobalt. You learn something new everyday. Can now add strealth to this war. Still no word from them btw.

Re: Cheers....

Ordered a dining room table and chairs from Diamond Furniture on the Long Mile Road a few months back. Delievered on time, no fuss. They have some nice stuff and seem to have decent sales - our table and chairs was reduced from over €1300 to €700.

I've been in and out of ID Design since Xmas, don't much like their stuff anyway, but I definitely haven't seen much value in their sales. They only seem to discount damaged/shop-soiled goods, and they've usually been overpriced to start with, so your, say, 50% discount only works out about 10-20% off the going rate.

diamond

just add my tuppence to say that Diamond Furniture are pretty efficient. We had one glitch with them which they managed to sort out pretty quickly and they then threw in free delivery (to outside of Dublin). They have some nice stuff that is not overly expensive.

Note:- I have no connection with the company.

Update.......

Spent the last 3 days hunting down the store manager.
Got through 3 times to be told:

(A) He's in. Can I say who's calling followed by, sorry I can't find him. But he'll ring you back. He didn't.
(B) He's eating his lunch and will phone you afterwards. He didn't
(C) He promises he'll ring you in 15 minutes. This was at lunch hour yesterday. Got the call this morning.

Other calls were made which they hung up on.

They've agreed to knock 213 euro off the price (Roughly 14%) but still can't tell me when I'm going to have the missing parts fitted.

Even with the discount it isn't worth the hassle. God knows how many phone calls we've had to make, and a visit to the premises ( thats a 50 mile roundtrip ).

ID Design

Sounds like ID Design are taking off from where the former occupiers left off - Bo Concept....

Over a year ago Bo Concept went belly up and it turned out that deposits from customers were being used to keep the company going so suppliers never got any money - and so stopped building/assembling furniture... maybe thats why your furniture has not arrived.

If I were you I'd try contacting the manufacturer (e.g. the furniture maker in scandanavia) and ask them if they are in progress with your order.. if they are not, start worrying...

Re: ID Design

Cheers Burnt, I think I'm okay. I now have the bulk of the order and have only paid 25% to date, so I think I should be in the clear.

Interestingly, on the invoice it states that the balance must be paid at least 3 days BEFORE delivery (which we didn't). If by chance anyone reading this still goes ahead with buying from ID, I would recommend that you stipulate on the invoice

A) that delivery is to happen by x date ( from reading up on the consumer affairs accociation site it is difficult to get out of a contract if this isn't stipulated.
B) that you will only pay on delivery

Re Id Design

Ordered a Table and chairs from here last Sunday - read this post on Monday with heart in mouth.

Anyway was told 8-10 weeks for delivery but got call 3 days later to say it was in. Delivery expected next Monday, Fingers crossed

Joke....

This company is a joke......

My friends are waiting over 6 months for delivery of a suite that they have paid in full !!!!

Be warned...... Do not deal with this company..... we have heard many stories about their incompetance....

Watch out !!!!

How we ended up.....

I think we ending up paying them something like 900 for 1300 worth of furniture which I was happy enough with considering the messing involved but won't be using them again.

Sick and Tired

Bought a bed frame and bedside tables from ID design at the end of May 2004. We bought this specific bed frame as the scheduled delivery date was only 2 weeks from date of purchase and we required a bed urgently.

It is now early October and no sign of our order!!!!

Best of all, about two months ago, we were contacted by ID design to inform us that our order has arrived and that we should pay the outstanding balance. We therefore paid the balance of the order and schedule delivery for that following Saturday. No delivery was made on Saturday and we then went into the Store on the Sunday, only to be told that the bed frame and bedside units have actually not arrived at their warehouse and that we were contacted in error.

We have been going down to the store in Swords every weekend (as they do not answer their phone lines) and are told the same thing every week: "Sorry the bed is not in stock yet and we'll phone you on Monday to give you an update or the order has been delayed and is now scheduled for next week."

Our "file" has now been handed over to the managing director, who has promised us a replacement bed until our order is in stock. He promised this would be delivered to us during last week and off course the bed has not arrived yet.

We are currently being ignored as the MD doesn't answer or return any of our calls. Now, when we phone ID design, we are told by the store manager that our case has been handed over to the MD and that we should deal with him directly.

ID Design has our money and our goods.

Phoned Consumer Affairs today, only to be told that our hands are tied as we can only insist on our money back... and that's it!

So, that's probably what we'll do.

Only problem is that we purchased special mattresses from Harvey Norman (which was delivered as confirmed, months ago) for the bed frame ordered from ID design and have to go and look for a similar bed to the one ordered from ID design 4.5 weeks ago!

I will never go to ID Design ever again as I have never in my life experienced such bad service and frankly it is just to exhausting!!!!

Back