I Can't Afford My Job

neady

I'm currently working 14-16 hours per week at a rate of €8.74 per hour. These hours are mostly worked over a 4 day week. I hand in my yellow docket to social welfare every week and on the rare weeks I work a 3 day week I receive my JSB. My problem is I can't afford it anymore. I'm seriously in trouble. I've 4 kids, 2 at school and 2 at home. Childcare is costing on average €120 depending on what time of the day I'm working. If I'm working in the afternoon I've to pay for childcare for 3 kids (eldest is 16). My DH is working full time thank god, but his wages are swallowed up by mortgage and car repayments. My question is what can I do? If I give up my job will I be penalised by SW? Will I be able to claim JSA while I look for a better paid job? I'm really at a loss and every week we're sinking deeper.

If you give up your job you will be barred from claiming jobseekers for 9 weeks. Also you will only get benefit if you have enought stamps. JSA is meanstested. The only other thing you can look at is family income supplement.

My husband was claiming that for us but it's up for renewal at the moment so we will be waiting another 2 months for a decision on that.

I was made redundant 12 months ago and was claiming my stamps. Then last may I was offered my current job. It was perfect because my parents offered to mind my kids for free to give us a chance to get back up on our feet. Unfortunately, my dad got ill two weeks after I started my job and I had to send the kids to crèche. Between crèche fees, diesel etc we are actually worse off now than when I was made redundant. I actually can't see a way out.

If you give up your job you will be barred from claiming jobseekers for 9 weeks. Also you will only get benefit if you have enought stamps. JSA is meanstested. The only other thing you can look at is family income supplement.

You MAY be barred from claiming jobseekers for 9 weeks. Depends on the deciding officer on the day. They may or may not like/believe/care about your reason for giving up work, its a completely subjective system as far as I can tell.

But anyway, there is absolutely no point in paying to work - why on earth would anyone do that? Even without social welfare support youd be better off to quit the job.

It sounds like you enjoy what you're doing work-wise otherwise you'd have considered quitting before now. Is there no way that you can reduce your childcare bill? Maybe Mum & Dad have the children for 1 or 2 days, another mum for 1 or 2 days and you return the favour? Could you approach your employer to amend your hours to cover 3 days or just be working evenings so that your OH or 16yr old can mind the smaller ones?

I love working, I hate the thought of having to rely on anyone or anything (welfare). I have done everything the right way all my life, never had a loan until my mortgage, saved for everything I needed or wanted, paid cash for our wedding, my first car, never got into debt paying for holidays or nice clothes. I always played it safe. More fool me.

hi,

cant your older child help you out now and again (maybe more pocketmoney). not sure is that allowed in ireland then?

Is there no way your employer can ensure you work 3 day weeks the whole time rather than 4 days as this would give you JSB all the time?

Merille, my eldest does help out during the school holidays. In fact she's fantastic. But she is at school until 4 each day, and school is 7 miles from where we live.

Derek, my employers aren't budging.

If you are getting into deeper into debt by working than by not working then it's plain silly to work.

Back