Hybrids - good idea or no?

Another point I read about the Hybrids is that if they are in a n accident you have to be very careful as the electric may not be cut off and there is a possibility of electrocution.

Ted you surely cant be serious,can you?

I have heard that, because of the greater co2 cost of producing diesel, that the co2 produced( from oil well to tailpipe )with diesel is not less than with petrol. Any scientists support or refute this view.
Totally seperately Vegetarians live longer.
Anyway to claim
"Remember one of the rules of evolution:

Carnivores evolve, vegetarians die out."
is silly. What would the carnivores eat?

I have heard that, because of the greater co2 cost of producing diesel, that the co2 produced( from oil well to tailpipe )with diesel is not less than with petrol.

I’m a bit sceptical about that claim as there is a vast difference between the hydrocarbons found in different oil deposits in different parts of the world. Diesel is refined at higher temperatures but that’s not a big deal when calculating total carbon emissions.

anyone read last weeks Times motor supplement ? Featured the Lexus RX with annual car tax of 302 euro, for a 3.5 litre petrol/hybrid engine. Beats similarly sized diesels hands down. All Lexus' will be only be available in hybrid soon, dont know when... I was just told. Hybrid technology has moved on considerably since this thread started. I drive a diesel and the thought of a hybrid with serious poke, lower road tax, 6.3l per km economy etc is appealing not because of the emissions, I am not a tree hugger either. Not a fan of the Prius though.

Each to their own...:)

I drive a diesel and the thought of a hybrid with serious poke, lower road tax, 6.3l per km economy etc is appealing not because of the emissions, I am not a tree hugger either. Not a fan of the Prius though.

Each to their own...:)
You would have to drive like a complete nutter to get 6.3L/100k in a hybrid. Those things will get down to very low numbers if driven correctly. Try 2L/100k in a prius.
Having said that, i drive a diesel yaris and get 3.2L/100k per tank and it has plenty of torque so i wouldn't be too keen to replace it with a hybrid just yet. Those EV's are starting to look promising though and the batteries last about 7 to 10 years, according to a sunday times article i read. How recyclable are the batteries though?

not bad for a SUV all the same, given its weight and size etc. Big difference between a Yaris and an RX. WHat the article said (from memory) that there was enough torque in both electric motors to move you along without having to trouble the petrol engine. In the latest What Car mag, it pitted the RX against the BMW X5 and it found the RX a better all-round "car". Did you see Top Gear last sunday driving the electric motor - Insight. 200 miles between charges, I agree getting more and more promising.

I forgot it was an suv. My bad. I didn't see top gear last week but i'm hearing good things about these new hybrids. The funny thing about the hybrids up until now is that to get the best mileage out of them, you have to stay out of assist as much as possible. You basically don't use the electric part which is ironic to say the least. Go figure!

I agree with previous posts regarding buying a small fuel-efficient Diesel. The German car manufacturers have made significant advances in Diesel Technology. They are Quieter, More Powerful and Cleaner than those of the previous generation. I have seen reports of a BMW 520D being actually more fuel efficient than a Prius, if driven properly. In your case, I would consider the smaller BMW320D (Diesel not Petrol), or if your budget does not allow for that, consider the VW Golf Diesel.

interesting to note that all the German car manufacturers who rubbished the petrol hybrids when they first appeared are now going to offer hybrids :)

I think Peugeot are working on a diesel electric hybrid ?

From a fuel efficency only point of view, does anyone know anything about the the new 2014 mercedes e class hybrid which quotes a fuel consumption of 68 mpg.all round.I am buying a new car to keep for a ten year period.My annual mileage is 10 k.Thanks.

Back