HSE: Voluntary Early Retirement Scheme and Voluntary Redundancy Scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the HSE's website page on the redundancy programme:

These employees will receive a Voluntary Redundancy Package which consists of 2 separate parts

Part 1 - Statutory Redundancy
Two weeks pay for every year of service plus one week
Weekly pay is capped at €600 per week. This means that if you earn in excess of this amount you will not receive more than €1,200 for each year of service. Allowances which form part of your salary will be included up to the capped amount. There is a very good calculator available for statutory redundancy on www.entemp.ie
Statutory Redundancy is not taxed.

Part 2 HSE Voluntary Redundancy Package
Three weeks salary for every year of service
This is your *actual salary and includes allowances, capping does not apply.

Actual salary equates to your normal weekly pay based on your contracted work commitment e.g. wholetime, job-share (50% basis), part-time (less than full wholetime hours).

This redundancy package has certain tax exemptions.

[broken link removed]

Yes it's 3 years plus 2 up to a max of 2 years salary see circ here

[broken link removed]

Sincere apologies, I missed that. Do people who get statutory redundancy get the dole then? Will class D PRSI payers get the dole? Slim

Can anyone clarify how they can implement the rule about not taking up work in a Publicly funded organisation for 7 years. I am currently on Career break and looking for temp work in schools. If I applied for the redundancy scheme, it appears this wouldn't be an option. Any comments would be appreciated.

No SW for class D.

As employees on Class D have only paid very small amounts of PRSI unlike everyone else this leaves them not entitled to SW.

This is the same situation as self employed people find themselves in and I agree it is unfair if you are not allowed to pay a higher amount of PRSI you should not be disqualified from social welfare.

If the government changes the situation for Class D Public Sector then they also need to do the same for self employed people

Of course everyone is entltled to means assessed social welfare

I think people in the Public Service should seriously consider this a good deal as we may not be able to borrow money next year to run the country and the EU/IMF will have to bail us out. I am not trying to scare anyone but the borrowing costs keep going up and this is an indication that no one will lend us money as they perceive it to be too risky.

The first thing they always do is severly cut public sector wages and there will be no hope of generous packages. I agree this is not as good a package as other private companies have offered but I dont think many of them have offered such good early retirement packages.

Not trying to scare anyone considering opting for voluntary redundancy or early retirement but Bloomberg TV are reporting this afternoon that Ireland has 1 month to stave off a bailout.

I can hear the sound of the stampede from miles away and the queue outside the H.R. managers door is getting longer.

Not trying to scare anyone considering opting for voluntary redundancy or early retirement but Bloomberg TV are reporting this afternoon that Ireland has 1 month to stave off a bailout.

I can hear the sound of the stampede from miles away and the queue outside the H.R. managers door is getting longer.

Things are getting worse by the hour:(

Can anyone clarify how they can implement the rule about not taking up work in a Publicly funded organisation for 7 years. I am currently on Career break and looking for temp work in schools. If I applied for the redundancy scheme, it appears this wouldn't be an option. Any comments would be appreciated.

I think you've raised an interesting point. There's a baby boom going on out there that will surely lead to an increased requirement for teachers, etc in the coming years. Should we be looking at a future need for redeployment across the public service before giving people big payoffs to leave and not come back?

Looking at things in the medium to long term I think it's madness not to cut individual wages by 5 to 10% rather than laying off 5 to 10% of the workforce. My reasons are:

1) It would be a fluke if the planned cull removed the most useless public sector staff
2) The cull will increase social welfare
3) There are massive redundancy costs and the upheavel of restructuring will be costly
4) It's true that we could get by on fewer numbers in the public service right now, but demands for health care are increasing with an increasing number of elderly, demands for social services are increasing with more unemployed, demand for teachers will rise with the baby boom and demand for gardai will increase as crime escalates with increasing poverty.

So my point is that whilst there may be spare capacity in the short term, there will be an increased workload for the public service.

I genuinely find it crazy to cut the wage bill with redundancies rather than pay cuts.

Hi does anyone know if social care workers are eligible for this? I rang the help line today and they gave me an email address for my query, the reply was that they would be in touch shortly as of yet i've heard nothing, any info would be appreciated.

Or else will Angela keep running the country and the ecb keep buying the bonds?

Apparently approx 1,000 individuals have expressed a firm interest in availing of the terms and that after day1.

As employees on Class D have only paid very small amounts of PRSI unlike everyone else this leaves them not entitled to SW.

This is the same situation as self employed people find themselves in and I agree it is unfair if you are not allowed to pay a higher amount of PRSI you should not be disqualified from social welfare.

If the government changes the situation for Class D Public Sector then they also need to do the same for self employed people

Of course everyone is entltled to means assessed social welfare

I pay €44 q week while my PRSI A colleague pays €69 so it's not a very small amount imo. The percentage I pay is lower is lower but I pay it on more of my income.

It's a major consideration for someone hired before 1995.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Based on talking to colleagues today, there is not going to be a big take up of these schemes.

One of the conditions of the scheme is that everyone who goes on redundancy or early retirement is added to a database. Before a public sector organisation can recruit someone, they must check that the person isn't on that database - if they are, then they can't be recruited (for redundancy it's 7 years, for early retirement it's a permanent ban).

There was a similar condition (and database) for those who took the Incentivised scheme (ISER) earlier this year.

PS - Have you checked that you are not breaking the terms of your career break by taking up employment?

Last edited:
The statutory redundancy (i.e. 2 weeks pay per year of service plus a bonus week) should be based on a maximum weekly salary of €600.

However, the 3 weeks pay per year of service should be based on the individual's actual weekly wage.

This could mean large payouts for people with many years of service (which is probably likely given the profile of the target group).

How much of the ex gratia element of the redundancy that'll be taxable will depend on what's the higher of €10,160 + €765 for each complete year of service, that calculation plus €10,000 or the SCSB.

It could be a great deal for certain people.

There is a further calculation which the revenue allow to determine the tax free element of a redundancy lump sum,

It will be applied if it is more favorable to the individual.

The calculation is as follows:

The average annual pay based on your last 36 months of work - Multiplied by the number of actual years service in the employment you are being made redundant from and Divide the answer by 15.

And subtract any amount receivable as a tax free lump sum from an occupational pension scheme...this "further calculation" is called the SCSB (and I referred to it in my post).

Heard on the grapevine this morning that a significant number of HSE staff are booking in their remaining annual leave entitlement before the end of the year to make sure that they do leave any unused leave before they depart on 30th Dec.

Heard on the grapevine this morning that a significant number of HSE staff are booking in their remaining annual leave entitlement before the end of the year to make sure that they do leave any unused leave before they depart 01 30th Dec.
Surely they would be better off not taking it & getting paid for it instead?

After all, they will have plenty of time off from January 2011 on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back