How's your Diesel performing?

if we were all that worried about mpg maybe we should buy the like of the polo tdi.

70mpg perfectly adequate car.

Not my cup of tea though. Will be happy with middling mpg and decent push in the back with a bit of elbow room.

Also pump you tyres up fairly hard, and "coast" as much as possible.

Coasting is illegal and not advisable. Your car brakes do not preform to full efficent when coasting due to the less vacuum in the brakes servo!!

Coasting is illegal and not advisable. Your car brakes do not preform to full efficent when coasting due to the less vacuum in the brakes servo!!

Who says coasting is illegal? I know you will fail your driving test because of it but if it saves fuel, why not? I am also dubious about your statement of the reduced effectiveness of brakes when coasting...I have tried it recently and the brakes work just the same as when in gear.

There will be less grip on the road when coasting so keep it in gear. Coasting is not safe.

Coasting is inadvisable, yes (as you don't have full control of the car) but I doubt very much that it's illegal.

afaik modern engines don't use any fuel or almost nothing when you slow down without using the brakes. Coasting isn't illegal but I agree with caveat, you don't have control of your car, and if you need to take off again quick, chances are you will be fumbling around for gears before you find the right one, if you are concentrating enough on the traffic. I wouldn't bother, just slowing down without using the brakes as much or not accelerating hard will do better for consumption.

I'd love to see proof of this too...cos then the laws of physics would have changed !

Does an all wheel drive car such as an audi a4 quattro have better grip than a front wheel drive a4 when driven at reasonable speeds? Yes. Think about it. A four wheel drive has better grip than a two wheel drive and a two wheel drive has better grip than no wheel drive which is what the car is when coasting. If you are trying to say that the grip is the same when the car is coasting as to when it is being pulled by the two front wheels then, in that case, the laws of physics would have changed.

Nobody is attempting to approve the use of coasting around bends unless they've had a brain bypass.

OK, 'grip' in a straight line while slowing down from 50-20 is not going to be different while coasting to that offered while in gear, regardless of 4wd or 2wd.

Your comparison of 4wd vs 2wd is OK but you overlooked one important issue...the 'Drive'.
4wd cars have more grip while the wheels are being driven than a 2wd car has while its wheels are being driven. Around corners, the 4wd is safer because it is using the push-pull effect rather than just the push (for rwd) or just the pull (for fwd).

What if I need to swerve while coasting? Surely it is safer to be in gear if this situation arises.

There will be more grip while driving in a straight line if in gear. When in gear and slowing down without brakes, the wheels will control the engine speed thus creating a slight braking force, which causes traction. More traction, more grip.

If I get my 115bhp turbodiesel chipped up to 150bhp - will it increase fuel consumption much?

Don't think so, the higher torque should make it easier to get up through the gears.

The problem is the stamping on the go pedal giving that push in the back. Go easy on that you should work out about the same on MPG. With way more fun and driveability to boot.

there is no need to coast with modern engines. they use almost no fuel when your foot is off the accelerator, and it a fact that removing drive from the wheels while the car is in motion is dangerous, mostly because you don't have any engine breaking. Hi Slim I agree with frank, if you drive as normal you won't see any increase in consumption. You will get much better responce from the engine with better torque. I don't think you will see 150bhp though, unless some other mod has to be done! What car is it? I would advise you to take it to someone who knows what they are doing, not someone who will re flash your very expensive ecu with new maps that were created for another car. No two engines are exactly the same. And don't use a tuning box, I had two of these on different vehicles and though I did get more power, I also got clouds of smoke!

Just switched a month ago to diesel it is a Saab 9.3 1.9 TID - it is 90% used for city driving well a couple of exits southbound where they are doing the work on the M50 - getting around 6.6l to the 100km is that good/bad? Definetly getting alot more mileage then out of the 1.6 petrol car I had.

short hop low speed driving is a killer on any car.

I know it makes about 200 miles of a difference on my tdi passat.

Worst case is short hops 450 miles to 60 or so liters best case is mostly motorway 650.

Could do a bit better if I went easier on the right foot but that aint gonna happen.

I still prefer the low end diesel torque to any petrol car I have driven. Bar a supercharged Ford F150 V8 bruiser I got a spin in.

- getting around 6.6l to the 100km is that good/bad? .

As I posted originally, you are getting exactly the same as my 2005 Audi A4 2.0TDi 140bhp. It's not bad, but as was said in this post, driving conditions and driving style will affect this significantly.

As I posted originally, you are getting exactly the same as my 2005 Audi A4 2.0TDi 140bhp. It's not bad, but as was said in this post, driving conditions and driving style will affect this significantly.

Luckycharm does a lot better than Gebbel because Luckycharm does 90% of her driving in the city. City driving is all stop-start, 3rd gear/ 40km/hour.

Gebbel does very poorly with his Audi, driving mostly on the M1.
He should be getting over 1150km with his 65 litres, and not 1000km as he is getting currently.

Then again, maybe the M1 is a constant traffic jam these days ?

Luckycharm does a lot better than Gebbel because Luckycharm does 90% of her driving in the city. City driving is all stop-start, 3rd gear/ 40km/hour.

Gebbel does very poorly with his Audi, driving mostly on the M1.
He should be getting over 1150km with his 65 litres, and not 1000km as he is getting currently.

Then again, maybe the M1 is a constant traffic jam these days ?

Luckycharm is a him but is the missus who does 90% of the driving and you are right it is mainly stop start driving :D

Does the extra bhp/ weight of the Audi (if that is the case) over the Saab not result in the lesser fuel economy?

Back