How's your Diesel performing?

gebbel

With the price of fuel rocketing, I have been focusing a lot recently on the fuel economy of my car. Put just over 65L (14.5 Gallons) of Diesel into the almost empty tank today at a cost of €89.26 :eek:. I am sure that this will give me 1000km (620 miles) in total, driving 70% of the time to and from work on the M1. So I am getting an average of 42.75 MPG. Is this good or bad comparetively?
By the way the car is an 2005 A4 2.0TDi

I would have thought the A4 would score better, tbh.........we've just bought an 06 Saab 1.9Tid, and it's getting........38?

Galwaytt,

Can you let me know how are you finding the Saab 93, I am thinking of changing my Commercial Discovery 3 to one as i am now doing over 550miles per week. I was hoping to get more mpg than that though on motorways would you get 45mpg+?. Are you do a lot of driving around the town or a mix with motorway driving? Is your car the 120 or 150bhp model?
The discovery is doing 33.5mpg but this is mostly long drives.

I'd say if you used cruise control and sat at the optimal speed you'd get more out of these diesels. Sitting at the speed limit is often harder on fuel. BMW's used to have a economy display. So perhaps look for features like that.

I'm driving a late 2003 (new model) Avensis D4D Portarlington to Sandyford everyu day and average about 60mpg according to trip computer so about 650 between fills - depends on driving style and how much time spent crawling on M50

I have an 06 Peugeot 1.6Tdi diesal and according to the onboard computer thingy I am averaging 68.9mpg at the minute. I drive from Carlow to Tallaght daily, which is a mixture of N7/M7 and get stuck in traffic for a while on my way in and especially out on the Belgard Road.

I have an 06 Peugeot 1.6Tdi diesal and according to the onboard computer thingy I am averaging 68.9mpg at the minute. I drive from Carlow to Tallaght daily, which is a mixture of N7/M7 and get stuck in traffic for a while on my way in and especially out on the Belgard Road.

Is it a 307 or 407?

I get 38-40 mpg from a 2.4 volvo s60 d5. If I stay off the back roads and try to stick to main roads I get better results, up to 45mpg.

Galwaytt,

Can you let me know how are you finding the Saab 93, I am thinking of changing my Commercial Discovery 3 to one as i am now doing over 550miles per week. I was hoping to get more mpg than that though on motorways would you get 45mpg+?. Are you do a lot of driving around the town or a mix with motorway driving? Is your car the 120 or 150bhp model?
The discovery is doing 33.5mpg but this is mostly long drives.

I have a petrol Saab 9-3 150 bhp, and she just loves petrol. Getting too pricey to run now. 7l/100k out of the city, can be 12l/100 k dri ving arond town.

I'm driving a late 2003 (new model) Avensis D4D Portarlington to Sandyford everyu day and average about 60mpg according to trip computer so about 650 between fills - depends on driving style and how much time spent crawling on M50

Driving a 04 Avensis D4D, West Cork driving, trips range from 20 miles to 60 miles.
Generally getting between 52mpg and 58mpg depending on my driving style.
At the moment it seems it's always in a hurry!!!:eek:

We have a Kia C'eed 1.6 diesel and its doing about 55-57mpg and a new shape Corolla 1.4 D4D and its doing about 65mpg. All the above mpg are based on a 100mile commute on country roads. The Kia feels like a rocket compared to the Toyota, but thats not saying much!

With the price of fuel rocketing, I have been focusing a lot recently on the fuel economy of my car. Put just over 65L (14.5 Gallons) of Diesel into the almost empty tank today at a cost of €89.26 :eek:. I am sure that this will give me 1000km (620 miles) in total, driving 70% of the time to and from work on the M1. So I am getting an average of 42.75 MPG. Is this good or bad comparetively?
By the way the car is an 2005 A4 2.0TDi

You are not doing very well Gebbel (although as you say yourself, it's an estimate that you'll do 1000km with your 65 litres)

The official Audi figures for your car are an average of 5.5litres/100km which is 51 mpg in old currency.

The official Audi figures reckon that with your car you should do 4.3 litres/100km out of town (65 mpg).

Maybe consider turning off the aircon (cruise control is not to efficient on fuel either).

Also pump you tyres up fairly hard, and "coast" as much as possible.
Also use your brakes as little as possible, if you need to decelerate, take your car out of gear, and let it reduce velocity naturally. (ok you'd fail your driving test if you did this).
Also don't drive with big weight in the boot, or with the windows opened (you want your car to be as aerodynamic as possible).
Finally, drive in the higgest gear possible (without labouring), thats the most fuel efficient way to drive.

Pedantic I know, but it'll save you money and reduce your CO2 emissions

You are not doing very well Gebbel (although as you say yourself, it's an estimate that you'll do 1000km with your 65 litres)

Thanks Whiskey,

I am sure I am getting 1000km out of a full tank (65L). I will take some of your suggestions on board to try and improve this. In terms of my driving, I probably work the engine harder than I should. I tend to accelerate rapidly and drive as fast as the law permits and even more in quiet motorway traffic. I have recently begun to use Aircon only when necessary. I'm not sure about the coasting suggestion because it was drilled into me when learning not to do this.

Thanks Whiskey,

I am sure I am getting 1000km out of a full tank (65L). I will take some of your suggestions on board to try and improve this. In terms of my driving, I probably work the engine harder than I should. I tend to accelerate rapidly and drive as fast as the law permits and even more in quiet motorway traffic. I have recently begun to use Aircon only when necessary. I'm not sure about the coasting suggestion because it was drilled into me when learning not to do this.

Yeah, the coasting suggestion is a bit tongue in cheek, it might save you a quarter litre every 1000km, and as you said it's not good practice for safety reasons.

But you should be disappointed if you don't get close on 1200km out of your 65litres, because the folks at Audi reckon thats the average return (from a combination of urban and rural driving).

It is an amazing fuel efficiency for a car of your size. Even small deisels like the Aygo or Lupo or a C1 deisel don't get vastly greater fuel efficiency than yours, despite weighing only about half as much, I never could figure out why.

Mazda 6 diesel, 136 BHP,
I have recently got into the habit of doing 90 Kph on the communte to work instead of 100 Kph, this has reduced consumption from about 4.7 l /100 km to 4 l/100km according to the trip computer, this works out at 70Mpg. The Rev counter would be showing about 1750 rpm.

The consumption would be a little higher with the air cond running.
I just set the cruise control to 90 Kph and it is a straight run about 30 km, on dual carriageway with no delays.

Mazda 6 diesel, 136 BHP,
I have recently got into the habit of doing 90 Kph on the communte to work instead of 100 Kph, this has reduced consumption from about 4.7 l /100 km to 4 l/100km according to the trip computer, this works out at 70Mpg. The Rev counter would be showing about 1750 rpm.

The consumption would be a little higher with the air cond running.
I just set the cruise control to 90 Kph and it is a straight run about 30 km, on dual carriageway with no delays.

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_fuel_efficient_driving.htm

The above link are some easy techniques to reduce your fuel consumption by as much as 40%.

Indded it's true, it seems about 90km/h is the most fuel efficient speed.
Also Jack rabbit starts and hard breaking are very fuel inefficient.

Back