How much to pay 16 year old - childminding

Wow I'm shocked that people take the responsibility for a 6 and 7 year old child so lightly and I'm not talking just in an conomic sense.

Horses for courses.

Daughter did much the same last Summer for a couple of weeks whil reg babysitter was on hols. She said it worked out at 35 euro a day and she was more than happy. I think it's more than enough.

Would anyone here work for a full day for 20-30 euro? I wouldn't and I wouldn't if I was 16! Thats an 8 hour day, for 20 quid? I wouldn't sit a dog for that price, never mind 2 children. But then I don't think I'd be using unqualified teenagers in place of proper childcare either.....

I used to do a full week for 55 quid, just a couple of years before the money changed and i was older than 16. no wonder the country is in the state it is.

Oh get a grip. It's like Reading an excerpt from Angela's Ashes. Yes people worked for small amounts. My nana scrubbed floors for a few shillings so should we use this as a benchmark??

Times change. If my boss told me he earned 100 a week when he was my age should I be thrilled that he uses this as a basis for my wage??

Look OP offer what you want and what this girl will accept. You asked for opinions and I gave my genuine one.

Agree totally, a sixteen year old should be well able to get by with 30 to 40 euros per day, in fact its far too much. hope she puts it to good use.

hello, can anyone advise who much to pay 16 year old for childminding - 8.30 - 4.30 - she lives next door - will be looking after 2 boys the odd day over summer hols.... Would like any info on rate to pay - this will be cash in hand -

Violet Rose, based on all the responses - have you made any decisions?

thanks for all the replies - she will be minding boys in their own home, as we live in the country they will have their own back garden or a trip down the field for entertainment. She suggested 30 per day - we were willing to pay 40 - we'll see how we get on - thanks again for ALL the opinions - much appreciated

Hi, I take a different view here. A 16 year old should not have the responsibility of looking after kids all day. This is the easy way out for the parent and shouldn't happen. At this age 3 hours maximum is more than enough for a 16 year old, and not every day either. They are not much more than a kid themselves. I'm shocked that someone would go off all day and leave a 16 year old in charge of their kids.

There are 16 yr olds having kids themselves for years all over the world. Some 16 yr old are very mature. Some aren't. It might depend on the person.

I can't believe some people are comparing to working in a restaurant and the like, this girl will mind your prized assets and that should reflect the price she should be paid.Her age should have nothing to do with what she is paid,if she is doing the job that you would expect from an adult then even though she wants 30E a day ,lets be honest she is not going to cheeky and say what she really thinks, maybe settle go that extra mile not 40E but 50E.

I used to pay our babysitter a minimum of 10 euro to look after our children when we went for a quite night to the local, if we went down for 8 and got back about 12.30, she was always given a 50 and our children where asleep when we left.Lets gets things in order ,if you know your children are looked after really well then dont be tight when it comes to paying.

I can't believe some people are comparing to working in a restaurant and the like, this girl will mind your prized assets and that should reflect the price she should be paid.Her age should have nothing to do with what she is paid,if she is doing the job that you would expect from an adult then even though she wants 30E a day ,lets be honest she is not going to cheeky and say what she really thinks, maybe settle go that extra mile not 40E but 50E.

I used to pay our babysitter a minimum of 10 euro to look after our children when we went for a quite night to the local, if we went down for 8 and got back about 12.30, she was always given a 50 and our children where asleep when we left.Lets gets things in order ,if you know your children are looked after really well then dont be tight when it comes to paying.

Basically, this girl is being asked to babysit a neighbour's kids (in her own home) for a couple of days a week. Presumably, as someone has already said, her mother or other family members will be around and in and out of the house throughout the day. I think €70 a day would be completely over the top. 6 & 7 year olds do not need to be carried around, have nappies changed, etc. They are tiring because you have to run around with them and keep them entertained while getting on with housework, shopping etc. But for a 16 yr old, who doesn't have to worry about other things and who has absolutely nothing else to do, this is not exactly exhausting. In fact, they will probably be playing together a lot while she just stays in the same room with them and watches telly, texts her friends etc. I think €40 a day would be perfectly acceptable.

I have a 16 year old daughter, she is my eldest and a great girl, honest, reliable, trustworthy.

I have 4 more younger. She babysits for me and is paid for the responsibility of minding children.

She has also babysat for other people and once the people tried to take advantage, long night and little money. I spoke to them and they gave her some more money but I did not allow her babysit for them again.

This girl will only be doing an odd day so €30 will not turn into €150 at end of the week.

She is obviously not greedy, €30 is what she asked for!

I would agree with the violet rose with the €40 but I would also be looking at the children being happy with this girl and violet rose knowing that they are safe and if all is working out fine with them I would up it to €50.

It is good to know that you can leave your children with somebody minding them and that are safe and happy.

A long time ago, I had 3 babysitting jobs. 2 of my clients paid me £3 for the night and 1 paid £7 for the night! (back in the 80's).

Hi, I take a different view here. A 16 year old should not have the responsibility of looking after kids all day. This is the easy way out for the parent and shouldn't happen. At this age 3 hours maximum is more than enough for a 16 year old, and not every day either. They are not much more than a kid themselves. I'm shocked that someone would go off all day and leave a 16 year old in charge of their kids.

There are some of us who have minded younger siblings for longer at a much younger age and for nothing. A 16 year old with nothing to do all summer looking after 2 kids will be a great experience for her and teach her responsibility. Babysitting is not about making real money. It's a perfect occupation for a teenager.

I would say 50 euro per day is adequate for a 16 year old who is not expected to cook lunch or anything, just mind the children and entertain them. There are plenty of 16 year old who would be delighted to get work like this during their summer holidays.

Back