house names

just finished building my house i'm looking for a nice name for it i live just outside ennis in co.clare in the country id like it to be irish. is there any web sites with names

A mate of mine built a house recently and called it Esperance. this was the small town in Australia where he met his wife.

Think of something that is personal to you and look for an Irish translation?

How about the townland where you live?

Just please, please don't call it 'Dunroamin'. Please.

As long as it doesn't end up being a pain in the @ss everytime you try to give your address to someone over the phone...

A friend of mine had a house-naming party just after they moved in. All the guests had to come with a name suggestion, the best one named the house!

I like the suggestions up above, could someone tell me what 'Sunset House' is in Irish? I would like that name for mine.

I like the suggestions up above, could someone tell me what 'Sunset House' is in Irish? I would like that name for mine.

Luí na Gréine would be that! I wouldn't put House into the name - that suggests it's a B&B or Guesthouse or such. Just Luí na Gréine is the norm.

Thanks very much. Was going to call it Whitethorn as we have a ditch full of it down the drive but I absolutely love the sunsets we get, so go with that.

Thanks very much. Was going to call it Whitethorn as we have a ditch full of it down the drive but I absolutely love the sunsets we get, so go with that.

I think sunsets will be around for ever (unless global warming really messes things up!!) but that ditch may not so good choice! ;)

Putting names on houses is soooo pretentious. And particularly Irish names which gives the impression that not alone do you speak the language but that you are arrogant about the fact. It's almost like living in D4 and changing your surname to the Irish version as a sort of dubious status symbol.

Putting names on houses is soooo pretentious. And particularly Irish names which gives the impression that not alone do you speak the language but that you are arrogant about the fact. It's almost like living in D4 and changing your surname to the Irish version as a sort of dubious status symbol.

Didn't want to be the first to say it but my thoughts exactly - maybe more acceptable in the country (in absence of house numbers?), but definitely a bit much if the house has a number and is easily identifiable. Why not change to a triple or better still quadruple barrel surname while at it.

I agree if you put a name on the house where there is a house number, yes it is the ultimate in pretentiousness. However, I would not think the same would apply for a house on its own land in the country as it is a one off.

You would have to be carefull though, calling it something like "Dunroamin" is not good - anyone remember "Casa Bevron" in Brookside all those years ago.

I agree if you put a name on the house where there is a house number, yes it is the ultimate in pretentiousness. However, I would not think the same would apply for a house on its own land in the country as it is a one off.

You would have to be carefull though, calling it something like "Dunroamin" is not good - anyone remember "Casa Bevron" in Brookside all those years ago.

Or what about some of that fancy stone cladding that Vera & Jack had on their terrace house?

Back