house names

Putting names on houses is soooo pretentious. And particularly Irish names which gives the impression that not alone do you speak the language but that you are arrogant about the fact. It's almost like living in D4 and changing your surname to the Irish version as a sort of dubious status symbol.

Hee Hee. My neighbours to a tee. Must show them this post.

And while you are at it, tell them where they can buy a miniature ass and cart for the front garden with a small heap of turf to add to the scene. Sad, sad people.

OP - don't mind the begrudgers call the House "Tog Bog e", and take it easy !!

What about "Pog mo Home" but for fsake get the spelling right because "Pog mo Thoin" isn't quite the same thing.

Saw a house with the name "Here we are!" on the wall all in fancy lettering!!!

There are a few houses around with the surname of the occupants on the 'house name'. So signs on the wall saying 'Kellys' or 'Twomeys'. Practical.

Our house has a name - it was just a word we liked the sound of. Turned out to mean something in another language and the translation wasn't too bizarre so we stuck with it.

We have to have a name on our house due to having relatives in the same townland, nothing else to distinguish us from them, cannot really expect the post man to know the first names of all the occupants of each house.

Putting names on houses is soooo pretentious. And particularly Irish names which gives the impression that not alone do you speak the language but that you are arrogant about the fact. It's almost like living in D4 and changing your surname to the Irish version as a sort of dubious status symbol.

Nice big generalisation there DeclanP!! Have you people in mind when you say this? :rolleyes:

At one point in my daily commute to work there's a house named "Neverdun" on one side of the road and "Thisildo" opposite which always makes me smile. My little Victorian cottage is called "Aoibneas" because it is. Identifying something unique about your home is the most authentic way to find a name, if you need a name.

The house my parents had had a French name when they bought it. They kept it because it was a good conversation starter. No one quite knew whether it was the surname of the previous owners famous uncle (which one neighbour told them) or described the location (which another neighbour told them). Both explanations seemed plausible and they never got a definitive answer. The house was named years ago (in the 1940s as far as I know) and it would seem strange if the name was removed.

On the other hand when I bought my house the previous owners had a very pretentious name on it (well I thought so) which had been on it for best part of half a century. My first act on getting ownership was to get a hammer and knock off the name from the gate.

When I moved in I was initially getting some letters addressed to the occupier at the house name or to the previous owners at the house name - but the postman changed and the letters stopped as obviously the new postman couldn't find the house!

Out of interest can you just put a name on a house or do you need to ask the council permission or some other authority?

Related to this topic but not particularily in relation to house names but house numbers. Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin South where I can buy numbers on a plate/slate for a house, one that I could preferably drill into the pillar at the entrance of the driveway? I am not looking for individual single numbers that you drill in, which is what Woodies, Homebase etc seem to sell. I have tried a few local hardwear stores also and no luck so far.

Back