Honeymoon in Caribbean

slookie

Hi all.
I am getting married on Dec 20 later this year, and it's up to mise to organise the honeymoon. Definitely going to go to the Caribbean, but which island? Ideally I'd like to go on a 3 -5 day cruise, then a week chilling on an island, and then back to New York for 2 or 3 nights. Can anyone recommend which cruise to go on? Which island is the best value for money? herself is lookin at Dominican republic.....4 or 5 star all inclusive. They all look nice when you look them up online. Looking at a budget of maybe 4 or 5 grand. All help appreciated.

Wouldn't recommend Jamaica anyway. We stayed in one of the sandals resorts, all inclusive, and were totally unimpressed.

just back from an royal caribbean cruise with 7 caribbean stops. barbados and st thomas were the nicest islands. id say barbados has the best mixture of beautiful sights, restuarants and nite life though. all the islands are cheap really, bottles of carib (same as corona) for 2-3 dollars. 4 dollars would be very dear there and as you know 2 dollars is about 1.20 euro. with ur budget u cud stay anywhere. i was on the explorer of the seas and couldnt say enough good things about the ship and the company themselves.

if u havent been to miami then id recommend going from there and take in the florida keys as well, key west is fantastic

cruisecritic is a bit camp in fairness

You are entitled to your opinion, but I would say a bit cheesy rather than camp. In any case, imho, if you ask a question on there you get good quality replies and advice, which I think is what the OP is after, and sure if he gets the right advice it takes the sting out of having to look at some cheese ;)

i suppose but there are forums on there for cruises not happening for 2 years from now. all getting to know one another "so american". i logged in a few times and avoided all these people on the ship. some on them hang t shirts on their cabin doors saying " im a member of cruise critic" tut tut

Does anyone know what times of the year the Caribbean should be avoided? The OP is talking about early January...is the weather good then? I'm looking at July but am worried about hurricane seasons etc.

Officially hurricane season is june-nov, but the majority of them hit around sept & oct if history is anything to go by. High season there seems to be around December-Feb, when the weather is at the calmest.

Trinidad & Tobago have not had a hurricane for years; they are just south of the hurricane belt and are OK for holidays. Tobago would probably be more of a holiday island but Trinidad has some great parts too.

I'm looking to go to Barbados in mid-July...obviously that falls into the hurricane season but how risky is it? Don't want to spend a fortune on a trip like this end have it ruined by the weather

Similar to what Biilk said about Trinidad, Barbados has not been hit by a hurriance in over 50 years

They are due a technical one every 20 years or so and they got one last year which didn't uproot a tree as there is a very big differenve between getting hit actually and technically due to it's position so far out in the Atlantic

Most hurricanes which cause devastation throughout the Caribbean and Florida pass barbados as tropical depressions and occasionaly as storms but rarely much more than that

You can go to one of the french islands as well like Martinique or Guadeloupe, currency is EUR and you can use the European Health card there. The islands are fabulous, a lot to see and do

Re: Barbados

Hi John Rambo

Just to put your mind at ease i have been going to Barbados since 1996 and i am going back again in june and i have been there in July.Barbados usually only gets showers and then the sun comes out.It is never normaly hit with a hurricane like some of the other islands.Dont let that put you off that a hurricane may hit, it has never happened me and i have been going for years sometimes twice a year.I can give you good advce on hotels as i know most of them.

Re: Barbados

Hi John Rambo

Just to put your mind at ease i have been going to Barbados since 1996 and i am going back again in june and i have been there in July.Barbados usually only gets showers and then the sun comes out.It is never normaly hit with a hurricane like some of the other islands.Dont let that put you off that a hurricane may hit, it has never happened me and i have been going for years sometimes twice a year.I can give you good advce on hotels as i know most of them.

That's reassuring Snowball, thanks. Where would you recommend? To be honest, we're thinking of staying in the obvious choice!

When we went it was August, as other poster said, just occassional shower but great sunshine. Alot of lightening.

why would you risk going to a place that can get potentiall hit by a hurricane, its asking for trouble . what would you do if you were there and they did get hit. a very active hurricane season is on the way for this year.
the caribbean gets very very humid and sticky during the summer. january / feb is the time to go

why would you risk going to a place that can get potentiall hit by a hurricane, its asking for trouble . what would you do if you were there and they did get hit. a very active hurricane season is on the way for this year.
the caribbean gets very very humid and sticky during the summer. january / feb is the time to go

slookie Sorry forgot to say that we won't be going until the 2 Jan probably.

Back