Honeymoon in Caribbean

hi

Please see script from barbados weather forum, as i said it is highely
unlikely to get hit by a hurricane.

Hurricanes usually avoid Barbados. They arise off the African Coast and head to the Caribbean, swinging North about 100 miles from Barbados.

The pattern is reasonably consistent as hurricanes tend to bounce from one land mass to the next and Barbados is somewhat separate from the Caribbean island chain. This does not of course make us immune, but the last occasion which Barbados suffered a direct hit was in 1955.

John- not sure if you are going to go to Sandy Lane which is amazing but i have stayed in Tamarind cove,crystal cove, Turtle beach, i have also rented an apt in the west coast.My prefernce is staying in the west coast of the island but if you are on a budget i can recommed hotels up on the south coast.

snowball - i was only there on a cruise and loved it . what could you recommend for 2 weeks acoommodation. not too expensive, just a holiday not a honey moon.
is the west coast the nicest ?

Ok looking at barbados now. Is it dearer than the other islands? Could you recommend what part to go to and where to stay...somewhere classy. Id say the sandy lane might be a bit too dear...went on their web site and nothing comes up for january.

Hi

2 weeks can work out expensive in the west cost, you could rent an apt i have in a place called Suncrest villas, basic self catering but very clean and near the beach.They are down in the west coast.I have stayed in the south coast in a hotel called the cocont court and it has an amazing beach but the rooms are very basic.Back in 2002 the room i got had not Air conditioning but it was a last minute booking and i didnt mind.I have stayed in the plush and the basic hotel in barbados.I really like Tamarind cove in the west coast and for 2 weeks it will set you back about €1900 each for a week( FUll Board).You can get a good deal usually in june it depends on the travel agent i have saved €300 per person by ringing around.I can send you some details on the apts in the west coast if you like.You could also try and get a charter arline from the uk you may save a bit.

HI slookie

Sandy lane is expensive and you can stay in a place called The HouseBarbados.com is pure luxury,Colony club luxury hotel,

Cheaper options but lovely

settlers beach -west coast
sunswept beach- west cost

south coast

Turtle beach
Hilton hotel

i would recommend all of the above

what would you do if you were there and they did get hit.

Do what honeymooners do I suppose...and hang around the bar. Snowball, do you think Sandy Lane is worth it? Our budget is about €12k. I had a look at that Barbados House on the web and it does look nice alright. Thanks for the advice.

We honeymooned in Barbados in Feb this year. Stayed 8 nights in the beautiful Bougainvillea Resort room only and I would highly recommend it. The beach that it sits on is pristine white sand for about 500 meters and being on the south coast it has a good wave size, unlike the beaches in the west coast which usually have very small or no waves.

I would never stay full board in any hotel, you pay a huge premium and are basically trapped in the hotel for the duration. Stay room only and you can go to lots of different restaurants in different parts of the town. Much more fun.

Tripadvisor.com is full of reviews about Barbados and Bougainvillea so read lots there and check out the photos.

Barbados is a fantastic Island with lots to do and see, the people are generally very friendly and the staff at the hotel and the restaurants we visited were superb.

We spent 7 nights on board the Carnival Destiny doing a cruise of the southern Caribbean. Cruising is not for everyone and my wife didn’t like it that much although we both had a good time overall. So read the reviews. The handy thing about Carnival
is that they pick up in Barbados. Royal Caribbean don’t.

If I had my time back again I’d have spent longer in Barbados and not bother with the cruise but it’s easy to say this with hindsight.

HI John Rambo

Sandy lane is pure luxury and if you have €12 ths that would see you right to stay there.I would condsider the house if you wanted to save a bit.I would suggest checking with a few travel agencys as i have found i have saved quiet a few pounds when i did.

HI John Rambo

Sandy lane is pure luxury and if you have €12 ths that would see you right to stay there.I would condsider the house if you wanted to save a bit.I would suggest checking with a few travel agencys as i have found i have saved quiet a few pounds when i did.

Thanks Snowball...and I've noticed that too, there do seem to be better deals available through some of the bigger travel agents. Looks like we're going to do 10 days in Barbados and maybe 3 days in New York. One last thing though...have you any advice on how to secretly bring the golf clubs on your honeymoon?!

That would be nice ( New York)as shopping in Barbados is not good for clothes, im sure the other half can relax herself in the spa in sandy lane when you are playing golf.

Re:XL airways to Barbados

Hi

Just posting an ok price for sunswept beach hotel in the west coast for 14 night flying with xl airways from gatwick.718 sterling which is about €907 euro per person for flight and room only.You would have to get a flight to the uk so you need to put that price on top.Nice hotel on the same stretch as sandy lane.

Hi Slookie, have you considered the Caribbean coast of Mexico? Having been to St Lucia , Barbados and the Mayan Riviera I think the quality of hotel and service in Mexico has a lot to offer, you also get a lot more for your money there.
The Dom Rep is cheaper but the quality of hotel would not be as good as Barbados.

ok thanks for that rory...dunno bout mexico. It just doesnt seem as appealing as other places....maybe its just me! Any resorts that you could recommend? I have been looking up prices on www.cheapcaribbean.com and for my dates(3 jan 09 onwards) all resorts are saying nothing available??? Also would ye recommend staying all inclusive or not? thanks

Barbados has not been hit by a hurriance in over 50 years

It is never normaly hit with a hurricane like some of the other islands.Dont let that put you off that a hurricane may hit, it has never happened me and i have been going for years sometimes twice a year.

Hurricane Ivan in September 2004 pretty much shut down the island for two days despite the eye being a 100 miles away. The winds were very high and the swell was pretty large around the coast, there was a good bit of superficial damage with roads, water and power going down.

God help the people if a hurricane does hit directly some time soon as the majority seemed to put their faith in God while they blissfully sheltered in Cat 2 shelters from an impending Cat 5 hurricane.

A lot of the buildings wouldn't be up to a heavy hit as they are built with the ideal that hurricanes never hit Barbados.

I have been looking up prices on www.cheapcaribbean.com and for my dates(3 jan 09 onwards) all resorts are saying nothing available??? Also would ye recommend staying all inclusive or not? thanks

I would imagine that time of year is a busy as it gets. I have traveled with Thompson and MyTravel from the UK and found Thompson to be excellent, great leg room etc. There website also has plenty of info on the Caribbean-

I have done all inclusive in Mexico which I couldn't recommend highly enough, the Le Blanc resort where I stayed had better food etc than any restaurant I have ever been in, it has buffet and Al La Carte. I am not sure it would be a good honeymoon destination though, the resorts down toward Cozumel on the Mayan Riviera are better options. I have heard all inclusive is not recommended in Dom Rep.

what about go to NY for 4 nites, let the wife spend a fortune on clothes, fly to san diego and ocean city, then rent car and drive to mexico

Living in the Caribbean at present.

Jamaica (live here) - Couples Swept Away Negril, Rockhouse Negril, The Caves Negril, Moondance Villas Negril, Couples Ocho Rios, Jamaica Inn Ocho Rios, all good. Don't rule it out because of someones bad experience in Sandals. Negril is preference here for the beach. Heading to Sandals Negril this Saturday for the day!!

St. Lucia - fantastic island and a far better "island" experience than Barbados which will be full of tourists. Stayed in Stonefield Lodge which was beautiful, amazing villa with private pool and unbelievable views. Only bettered by Ladera which is unreal. Most rooms only have 3 walls and panaromic views of ocean. Well worth a trip.

Grand Cayman - small little US town in the Caribbean. Ritz-Carlton looked lovely, nice long beach but not a honey-moon destination I would think.

Bahamas - Nassau & Harbour Island - Nassau nice but again a bit US'y for me. Stayed in Compass Point which was fantastic. Day trip to Harbour Island and Eleuthera and Pink Sand Beach. Amazing little place and the perfect "Caribbean" experience. Get around in a golf buggy its so small.

Back