Healy-Rae's Budget backing attacked

DerKaiser 'There's also a place for standing up for maintaining living standards at a certain level and debating what's fair, but in the general scheme of things we do have decent hospitals and a decent welfare system. If the country goes bankrupt the wealthy won't starve, it will be the sick and those on welfare who will be hit worst'

I cannot agree with you DerKaiser, I think the hospitals and health care in this country are rubbish. We have the lowest life expentancy in western Europe, the Cystic Fibrosis sufferer has a life expentancy half that of sufferers in Britian. Our cancer rates are higher and survival rates lower than most other countries in Western Europe. People are left waiting 8-10 hours in A&E even for something as routine as a broken arm.

If patients are treated with even a minute amount of civility they are so grateful that they tolerate and keep quiet about the conditions they endure in these places. Nothing will change until those with influence kick up about it and those with influence take themselves off to private hospitals so no-one give a damm

And yes I do believe there's a time for cute hoorism. Say what you like about the man, but CJHs administration saved this country from the last crisis.
Do you give your employees a bonus for fixing up a mess of their own creation? CJH created the last crisis, just like Brian Cowen created the current crises.

Do you give your employees a bonus for fixing up a mess of their own creation? .

I don't have employees!

But yeah, people make mistakes, and if they recognise their mistakes and correct them then fair play to them

CJH created the last crisis, just like Brian Cowen created the current crises.

Amazing how we manage to breed these unabetted panto villains who pop up every 30 years to screw over the unsuspecting and innocent public.

I have a respect for people who don't take the soft or popular options and face up to tough decisions.

CJH took tough decisions in the end, Bertie being Bertie managed never to have to take an unpopular decision, Lenihan is taking the tough decisions now (not sure if Cowen is up for it) and JHR took an unpopular decision for reasons unknown (probably parochial but maybe because he instinctively knew the right thing to do)

Bertie being Bertie managed never to have to take an unpopular decision,
Bertie made very bad decisions. We are all paying for them now, and will continue to pay for years to come.

That was 30 years ago. Now they are driving into town in their 4 by 4s and getting their money ,farm payments etc paid into their bank accounts.
What is exercising the healy raes now is the drink driving laws which are stopping these people driving after a few pints.No doubt but JHR has improved the lot of his constituents because of his bargaining power.
Tony Gregory represented a very deprived constituency and it is hard to blame him for exercising his kingmaker power to improve housing etc in his area. The problem is that constituencies without political muscle get very little funds and then the electorate elect independants who sometimes get lucky.

No it was not 30 years ago. It was when the last Govt. was formed.

And what else would a farmer be driving ? What were 4x4s designed for?

Bertie made very bad decisions. We are all paying for them now, and will continue to pay for years to come.

The worst decisions he made were the most popular ones at the time.

He made the point many times that he took his lead from the people (rather than the other way round). Not the smartest in hindsight, but equally he is simply guilty of is giving us what we wanted at the time.

CJH took tough decisions in the end

Lets not rewrite history. Even after his famous 'living beyond our means' speech in the early 80's, Haughey actually allowed public spending to get even more out of control and worsened our economic mess. The first time Haughey made the tough decisions was when he had political cover in the form of the Tallaght Strategy i.e. the support of Alan Dukes and FG.

Lets not rewrite history. Even after his famous 'living beyond our means' speech in the early 80's, Haughey actually allowed public spending to get even more out of control and worsened our economic mess. The first time Haughey made the tough decisions was when he had political cover in the form of the Tallaght Strategy i.e. the support of Alan Dukes and FG.
Indeed - he never made the hard decisions - it was McSharry that made the hard decisions.

Back