Has any politician criticised the people who stole money from Bank of Ireland?

Lads and Lassies, the bank screwed up, put money on a plate for people to take. The people took it and the bank says it has the records of all the transactions and will pursue the problem

Bottom Line:- The bank screwed up. It's their responsibility to have the money returned.

Let's not get caught up in semantics and agree to differ and maybe some day we'll all meet up and have a laugh.
I like Lepers view, it helps since he is from Cork and liked fidelcastro.

generalisation # 1 .People are geedy and love a free lunch - without thinking of consequences.

generalisation # 2 Politicians (in general), populist, weak, only think of getting elected especially with rise of the SF and People before profit.

The same thing happens with insurance claims - and I mean non personal accident scam claims e.g. minor scrape/panel dents on a door due to accident, garage sends bill of charges items to "fix" which includes some items not directly damaged e.g. front bumper which had a scuff on it before accident , a broken light , etc etc...

Did we all tell garage to not fix the other items.?.or said "its grand - insurance will pay for it ".

or did you claim overtime when it wasnt 100% accurate ?

or expenses from the firm for strictly non expense items....?

...or kit out your letting with new appliances and accidently helped yourself to a new tumble drier ?

...free from all "white-collar crime".

A bearded man long time ago once said "let he without sin cast the first stone here.."

The same thing happens with insurance claims - and I mean non personal accident scam claims e.g. minor scrape/panel dents on a door due to accident, garage sends bill of charges items to "fix" which includes some items not directly damaged e.g. front bumper which had a scuff on it before accident , a broken light , etc etc...

Did we all tell garage to not fix the other items.?.or said "its grand - insurance will pay for it ".
I have never got extra work done under an insurance claim. That is fraud.
No. That would be theft.
No. That would also be theft.
...or kit out your letting with new appliances and accidently helped yourself to a new tumble drier ?
No, that would be tax evasion and so a form of theft.
A bearded man long time ago once said "let he without sin cast the first stone here.."
He, like the promises made by the Shiners etc, was not real.

Taking money that you are not entitled to out of an ATM with the intent of not repaying it is theft and is wrong and no amount of moral whataboutery changes that.

Hmmmmm....... a bank loans money usually to somebody who can prove that he/she doesn't need the money in the first place. A glitch in the workings of a bank allowed some to withdraw more than what was intended. I'm sure the bank treated all these people with total respect and decency in all their dealings over the years. Now I'm sure these people will treat the bank with the same sympathy.

...free from all "white-collar crime".
I have never done any of these things, nor would I.

A glitch in the workings of a bank allowed some to withdraw more than what was intended.

No that is not correct.

There was a glitch in the workings of the bank.
People deliberately exploited this to withdraw money which they knew well was not in their account in the hope that they would not be caught and have to pay it back.

I have no criticism for people who went to the ATM as normal to check their balance to see if they had cash and, being unable to see their balance, withdrew their usual amount of €100 or €200 hoping it was in their account and when the ATM paid it out, assumed that it was in their account.

Brendan

The analogy that comes to mind is when we all once upon a time used payphones in phone boxes. Every once in awhile there was a glitch when they no longer accepted money. Word got out and there would be queues down the street to use them. Most people accepted it as luck. I don’t ever remember any outcry.
Oh but there was - I remember this back in the early 90s and knew a bunch of the students involved - they were petrified they were going to get arrested for it.

Hmmmmm....... a bank loans money usually to somebody who can prove that he/she doesn't need the money in the first place. A glitch in the workings of a bank allowed some to withdraw more than what was intended. I'm sure the bank treated all these people with total respect and decency in all their dealings over the years. Now I'm sure these people will treat the bank with the same sympathy.
If I get bad customer service in a shop does that make it okay to steal from them?

Once again we're getting caught up in semantics. Nobody stole from the bank. Read my lips:- The bank "made the money available." It is now the problem of the bank to hunt down those who availed of the bank's offer. Or do they want us to do it for them?
People tried to steal from the bank. That's not semantics. It's attempted theft.
Those who knew that they would have to repay it weren't steaking, those who thought they'd get away with it were.

I'll rephrase my last question; If I get bad customer service in a clothes shop and they "make clothing available" because the security tags stopped working does that make it okay for me to take that clothing in the expectation that I won't have to pay for it later?

People tried to steal from the bank. That's not semantics. It's attempted theft.
Those who knew that they would have to repay it weren't steaking, those who thought they'd get away with it were.

I'll rephrase my last question; If I get bad customer service in a clothes shop and they "make clothing available" because the security tags stopped working does that make it okay for me to take that clothing in the expectation that I won't have to pay for it later?
Who ever said the people who availed of the "Money Available" scenario won't have to for for it later? Like I said, this is a problem of the bank and they are well able to abstract money from people. Incidentally, they don't sell clothes.

Last edited:
Suppose you had been treated very badly by Bank of Ireland during the Tracker Scandal.
Suppose you had not fared well as a direct consequence of this bad treatment (started drinking excessively, lost your home, the stress of which resulted in your marriage going, the stress of your marriage going led to more self-medicating, the result of the self-medicating was that your work performance suffered, the result of this was etc., etc., etc..........)
Suppose that you hadn't been in any way appropriately compensated for any of this......

I know I'm in the overwhelming minority, but ethically, in such a scenario, I'd be happy to visit that ATM that night.:)

Last edited:
Suppose you had been treated very badly by Bank of Ireland during the Tracker Scandal.
Suppose you had not fared well as a direct consequence of this bad treatment (started drinking excessively, lost your home, the stress of which resulted in your marriage going, the stress of your marriage going led to more self-medicating, the result of the self-medicating was that your work performance suffered, the result of this was etc., etc., etc..........)
Suppose that you hadn't been in any way appropriately compensated for any of this......

I know I'm in the overwhelming minority, but ethically I'd be happy to visit that ATM that night.:)
Whataboutery of the highest order.

I know I'm in the overwhelming minority, but ethically I'd be happy to visit that ATM that night.:)
"Heavy drinker and failed thief blames someone else for his poor behaviour."

Theres a story I hard a few times that the old Irish 5p was the equivalent weight to a 1 DEM which had substantially different monetary values. Anyway the State used to get a bill every year from the Germans because the phone boxes were full of them over there with someone exploiting a weakness.

Id imagine someone figured out in Euro 88 and word spread.

But at the end of the day somebody still pays, in this case they got off but with BOI they have the names

Update…

My father-in-law and mother-in-law were on the bus yesterday. One of these characters we’re talking about here was speaking with a friend on the phone at the top of her voice.

She was boasting that she had offered Bank of Ireland half of the money as a settlement, but the bank had said no, and instead they’d given her a temporary overdraft which must be cleared by the end of November.

Theres a story I hard a few times that the old Irish 5p was the equivalent weight to a 1 DEM which had substantially different monetary values. Anyway the State used to get a bill every year from the Germans because the phone boxes were full of them over there with someone exploiting a weakness.
I can confirm that the old Irish 5p worked most times in German phone booths particularly those next to a certain camp site in Munich. Sometimes you had to wet the 5p with a bit of spittle before popping it in the slot.

It's surely all a moot point anyway. If these people have committed theft or fraud that is a crime and BOI can of course pursue justice via the legal system. The legal system consists of upstanding *professionals* who of course are of a different ilk to those who would engage with a promiscuous ATM and thus will deliver fair and prompt justice at a reasonable price due to their moral upstanding, so why is there any need for politicians, AAM or even the central bank to get involved? It's an issue between a private business and thieves/fraudsters who also happen to be their customers so can be easily identified. I own more BOI shares than the state does and I don't even care, it was a once off, and when i saw a video of those people queuing to buy a TV my reaction was pity that in 2023 getting a TV mattered to them that much when it wouldn't even register as a notable event for me or anyone I know.

Out of curiosity, have Bank of Ireland criticised the people who stole money from Bank of Ireland yet, or is this rare, minor nudge in the other direction of the growing wealth inequality trend such a non-issue for them that it's not worth it?

And once again while I agree that people absolutely did this on purpose, and the Sinn Fein candidate quoted in post #2 trying to deny it is laughable, I still ask who has actually suffered from this event and to what severity? If I can be pointed towards victims I might be more inclined to feel that the wrong that was done here warrants outrage, because right now it seems insignificant. BOI should deal with this as they choose, but I'd frankly rather politicians and Gardai didn't waste an ounce of energy on it while we have better things they could be occupied with like the housing crisis or violent incidents on the streets. People parking on footpaths who block buggies and wheelchairs bothers me more than this.

It is mad how this has stretched to 8 pages......Anyone who ran to an ATM that night to withdraw money knew what they were doing. Judging by social media reaction many of the people were stupid enough to believe that it was free money which means what they were doing is really no different to stealing. A number of people seemed to do it for the craic and I would imagine at this stage BOI has got the money from these people. Same with with the minority of people who might simply have made a mistake. BOI will face a battle getting it back from the first cohort of people and people shouldn't defend them. From any sort of ethical or moral standpoint they are in the wrong. And anyone saying but sure look at all the stuff banks do, that's not an argument. That sort of logic would lead to the breakdown of society as we all rushed to lowest standards of acceptable behaviour

Having said that, to think that wouldn't happen is just naive. That's why banks are supposed to have systems to prevent this. It is like having a branch where the cash boxes are accidently left open on the customer side of the desk while the staff member goes to the toilet. Majority of people wouldn't touch it but there will always be some who will. The Banks failure doesn't excuse the customers taking the money but they are responsible for exposing themselves to the risk of it happening.

We are now weeks after the incident and we still don't know what happened, why it happened and what is being done to prevent it happening again. We never do and that's an issue. I am not looking for a detailed report into their systems and how they work but we should be told what went wrong. The central bank will fine them but we won't ever be told even in general terms what happened. Aer Lingus had a major systems failure last year and gave a detailed explanation about what happened and how they had failures in their contingency process which they took steps to make sure never happened again. We never get statements like this from banks. And yet we are simply expected to trust them and the Central Bank that 'Lessons have been Learnt'

Maybe that's where the politicians attention should be?

I can confirm that the old Irish 5p worked most times in German phone booths particularly those next to a certain camp site in Munich. Sometimes you had to wet the 5p with a bit of spittle before popping it in the slot.
I've two siblings availed of this. My DH used to be able to dial on the phone in Ireland for free, if you tapped it a certain way, and we all would queue up for the free phones whenever they went on the blink, us and everybody else. I remember someone in America got a free phone card one time, and of course all Irish students, me too, thought it was hilarious that you could phone home using a few quarters, continue speaking and AT&T would phone you back to tell you how much you now owed.

But there is one sure thing, I'm not going to be defending any bank on their own banks incompetence with their machines, particularly as that bank and the rest of them are responsible for so many of us saving them. They cost us big time, a few people getting a couple of hundred euro's and morals, pleassssssssssssssse.

Back