Greyhound Increase Lift charges from July 1st

MB05

I just got home to find a letter from Greyhound telling me that the lift charges are increasing from €6 to €7 per lift from July 1st.

I'm really annoyed by it, not because of the increase per se as I was half expecting it as it was mentioned at the time of the switch over (although not quite so steep) but because I got 5 days notice of the change!! I thought when I hadn't heard anything they were laying low after all the chaos the switch over caused and maybe they were deferring the increase until the new year to let things settle down.

I would have liked time to check out my options, find out how I get the credit on my account refunded, if I have to pay the second €50 instalment of the standing charge etc if I chose to switch but they haven't left me any time to do so. Can I complain to any Ombudsman or anything as the letter is dated 1st of June but I only got it today. Are they obliged to give you a set amount of notice so you can shop around like the insurance companies are?

I checked with my sister and she only got her's today too. Nice to see they still couldn't care less about their customers!

Yes I have also received this letter today. I use the smaller black bin. This is remaining at the same price.

Count yourself lucky . I pay 75 euros standard charge and the lift is going up to 9 euros a lift with aes . I will be changing to a different provider come July . Could ye not change providers

Our standing charge is €100 reddanmm so depending on the frequency of use yours may actually be cheaper. It works out about the same if you have 12 lifts a year.

I will definitely seek an alternate supplier as I don't like how Greyhound treats their customers.

I am being charged a standard yearly charge by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council of circa €100 for the use of their recycling services that I never use. I keep telling them that I don't use their services but they keep sending me a bill that has been building up over the years and they are now threathening to pass my file to a debt collector. How can I be charged for a service that I don't use?

Just got my yesterday!!
I'm using the small black bin and I think its gone from €3.60 to €4.20 per lift.
That's a whopping 16.6% increase!! Don't see how any company can justify such a large increase in this day in age.

It's time to start shopping around, is Panda any good? I'm north dublin city.

Last edited:
The landfill levy will be part of it. Went from €30 to €50 per tonne last year, and from the start of July increases to €65.

There's a lot of talk about the various charges Greyhound and other companies are charging for the collection of black bins, but I always wonder what are people putting in black bins that they cannot put into the green or brown bin or bring to a recycling centre? We havnt had the need to put a black bin out in nearly two years yet I see households putting a black bin out every second week on my road.

My local recycling centre doesnt take in lots of things like green waste, polystyrene, bulbs,batteries etc

There's a lot of talk about the various charges Greyhound and other companies are charging for the collection of black bins, but I always wonder what are people putting in black bins that they cannot put into the green or brown bin or bring to a recycling centre? We havnt had the need to put a black bin out in nearly two years yet I see households putting a black bin out every second week on my road.

Do you still have an annual standing charge for the unused black bin?

Do you still have an annual standing charge for the unused black bin?

Yes, we tried to get this waived but we make full use of the green and brown bins and we were told that we had to pay the annual charge no matter what.

There's a lot of talk about the various charges Greyhound and other companies are charging for the collection of black bins, but I always wonder what are people putting in black bins that they cannot put into the green or brown bin or bring to a recycling centre? We havnt had the need to put a black bin out in nearly two years yet I see households putting a black bin out every second week on my road
Pure and utter laziness in the case of the people I know. The way to clear out a drawer is to get everything by a bundle and drop into a bin. I don't know how many times I have gone to put a bit of rubbish in the bin only to find shoes, clothes, make-up, clocks all shoved into it. But, of course, it's just that the poor dears don't have the time.

Pure and utter laziness in the case of the people I know. The way to clear out a drawer is to get everything by a bundle and drop into a bin. I don't know how many times I have gone to put a bit of rubbish in the bin only to find shoes, clothes, make-up, clocks all shoved into it. But, of course, it's just that the poor dears don't have the time.
Drop it in to whose bin? Do you use a communal bin or something?

I just got home to find a letter from Greyhound telling me that the lift charges are increasing from €6 to €7 per lift from July 1st.

I'm really annoyed by it, not because of the increase per se as I was half expecting it as it was mentioned at the time of the switch over (although not quite so steep) but because I got 5 days notice of the change!! I thought when I hadn't heard anything they were laying low after all the chaos the switch over caused and maybe they were deferring the increase until the new year to let things settle down.

I would have liked time to check out my options, find out how I get the credit on my account refunded, if I have to pay the second €50 instalment of the standing charge etc if I chose to switch but they haven't left me any time to do so. Can I complain to any Ombudsman or anything as the letter is dated 1st of June but I only got it today. Are they obliged to give you a set amount of notice so you can shop around like the insurance companies are?

where are you based? I'm in Dublin City Corp area and have'nt got a letter on any price rises and cant see anything on their website either

I'm in Dublin 13 and my sister is in Dublin 5 and we both got it on the same day.

I think there was a piece on the news about it yesterday or Friday as well.

I only caught a bit of it but some councillor mentioned people only getting a couple of days notice of the price change and again questioned the wisdom of DCC awarding the contract to Greyhound.

Yes, we tried to get this waived but we make full use of the green and brown bins and we were told that we had to pay the annual charge no matter what.

Ronan. In otherwords you are effectively paying a charge to leave your green bin out (The standard charge).
Back in 2000 the various Councils were trying to get people to separate their Green waste rather than dump the lot in to the one bin. Then they introduced a standard charge. All their blurb said that you were paying this standard charge for your black bin and that your Green bin was free. In fact if I remember correctly they were in fact able to sell the contents of your Green bin and make a profit.
People then started doing what you are doing now and just left out their Green bin but not their black bin. To get around this the councils said that if you only left out your Green bin then there would be a charge. However if people continued to use their black bin then they got their Green bin free. Different rules for different types of users.

So you are paying a charge for your Green bin (although it is called a standard charge not a Green bin charge). Whoever is collecting your Green bin waste is selling this on for a profit. You are not adding to any landfill. Their business with you is therefore more than 100% profit.

Interesting post Soylent. Can you get a "menu" of services from the various providers at present or must you just take the one service.
In my case I have no contract with anyone having opted out of the system from the start when charges were introduced. However DunLaoghaire/Rathdown would not accept my opting out and has continued to invoice me over the years for a service that I did not use. Not even the green bin service. I feel like I have been asked to pay a "household charge" over the last 10 years for nothing in return.
I just want the option of leaving my green bin out but if these people are making a profit out of its contents then should I have to pay for that service?

Back