Greyhound bin collection - new charges

Greyhound

I don't recall agreeing a contract with Greyhound - they were handed the business on a sliver platter from SDCC so they never supplied the bins in the first place. A lot of people bought their bins years ago but wouldn't have the document to prove that now unless SDCC can supply them with the information!

Greyhound have really upset customers whose business they never had to tout for (just shows if you get something for nothing!) and their attitude when you call them is incredible. I was told in a treatening voice if I didn't pay the €60 by 1st Oct my bins would be left unemptied for ages! I reminded the "untrained staff member" that I can always go to Ballymount until I set up with a new service provider as Greyhound a not a company I with to do any further busines with.

I don't recall agreeing a contract with Greyhound - they were handed the business on a sliver platter from SDCC so they never supplied the bins in the first place. A lot of people bought their bins years ago but wouldn't have the document to prove that now unless SDCC can supply them with the information!

Greyhound have really upset customers whose business they never had to tout for (just shows if you get something for nothing!) and their attitude when you call them is incredible.
+1. The same thought had crossed my mind, I thought that we bought the grey bin as part of the initial set-up with sdcc. I have now had three missed calls over the last few weeks from Greyhound, presumably reminding me to 'pay up'! I have switched provider and am happy with the new provider.

I have now had three missed calls over the last few weeks from Greyhound, presumably reminding me to 'pay up'! I have switched provider and am happy with the new provider.

I have received many calls over the last few days from this number 021 4368000. They have on occasions left a voice message telling me to contact them if I have any questions about the recent Greyhound correspondence. The call cuts off very quickly and I have no intentions of calling them back. They did appear to have some details regarding the account holder name.

When I checked on Google to see who it was there are some dodgy details about it being a premium rate number. When I rang Greyhound they said it was them and that the stuff on Google referred to people overseas discussing scams :confused: Beware as far as I'm concerned.

I have heard cases of people receiving calls from Greyhound asking them did they understand the new billing method. I think it's just Greyhound's attempts to keep customers who are rightly cancelling their accounts.

Here's a pricelist based on a quick ring around and perusal of websites (there may be other hidden charges or T&C - I'm just going by websites and a few phone conversations). The big unknown is what happens your bins if you don't go with Greyhound (and why would you, they're the most expensive). I rang South Dublin County Council and they said Greyhound now own the bins but, to be honest, I don't know how that stands legally and I doubt Greyhound or SDCC do either. Sounds like SDCC have put no thought into the whole thing or that they really give a sh*t either but that's for a different discussion.

The guy in Access said they were going to use the existing bins anyway and would see what happened down the line. He did say, if it came to it, they would supply 3 bins for a once-off fee of €75 but they would still own them and if, down the line, you changed provider they would want them back.

Anyway, prices below.

Greyhound
=========
Annual charge : €60
Black bin: 31c per kilo
Brown bin: 24c per kilo
Green bin: free

City Bin:
=========
Option 1:
--------
Annual charge: €48
Black bin: 25c per kilo
Brown bin: 19c per kilo

Option 2:
--------
Annual charge: €48
Black bin: €7 per lift
Brown bin: €4 per lift

Option 3:
--------
Annual charge: €199
Black bin: free
Brown bin: free

Thorntons:
==========
Option 1:
--------
Annual charge: €50
Black bin: €7.50 per lift
Brown bin: €4.20 per lift

Option 2:
--------
A Less than 400kgs €219
B 401kgs - 700kgs €270
C 701kgs - 1,000kgs €300
D 1,000kgs to 1,250kgs €339

Greenstar
==========
not in my area

Access:
=======
Annual charge: none
Black bin: €8 per lift
Brown bin: €4.50 per lift

Some further details on Access Waste, who I am considering moving to myself, from [broken link removed]:

* Max weight of 60kg for 240L bin, 30kg for 120L bin.
* Replacement bins are 55.00euro each (versus 40.00euro each for Thornton, as far as I can remember)
* If cancelling the service any credit balance on the account will be forfeit.

As mentioned in previous posts they encourage you to hang on to your Greyhound bins, in which case they'll turn up and chip them (chip goes under the lid apparently), scan them, and drop your new account information off with you. You then pre-pay the account with at least 24euro and when that payment clears they'll start lifting your bins according to their schedule. They can chip and scan your bins even if the bins already have stuff in them, but they won't empty them until your first payment has cleared.

Also as mentioned in a previous post, if you opt to return your existing bins to Greyhound then Access will supply you with new bins for 25euro each (which comes to the 75euro total mentioned previously but I got the impression you can opt for less than 3 bins and pay only according to the number you do take - I could be wrong about that though).

The issue of re-using Greyhound bins by Access remains very contentious. I rang each of the parties concerned and asked specifically about this and the responses remain those already mentioned in previous posts: Access say to go ahead and do this; SDCC say that the bins are entirely the property of Greyhound; Greyhound insist that they *will* collect the bins (about 10 to 15 days after you cancel your account) and that Access cannot just use the bins of another company.

So the things to bear in mind, I guess, are that if you go with Access and opt to re-use Greyhound's bins then you just pay the per-lift Access charges. However, if Greyhound take their bins back and you stick with Access then you'll have to pay 75euro to Access for 3 new bins from them. If Greyhound take their bins back and you decide to go with someone other than Access, in order to avoid incurring the 75euro bin charge, you'll forfeit any unused balance in your Access account.

A very satisfying bit of commentary about our friends in Greyhound Wasters that I came across in Broadsheet.ie today. Can't post the link, but it's worth checking it out - particularly for those who haven't had the pleasure of receiving the leaflets...

Needless to say, I've cancelled my account and they are making a (rather amusing) bru-ha-ha about collecting 'their' bins - and I can't wait for them to try. Might even leave them back myself to their offices (full of course) - or maybe the SDCC deserve them even more...

Yes, thanks scotsgirl. that's the link. And thanks to all posters for giving their informaiton, experiences and opinons. I am finding this board really helpful.

I am glad that you started this thread OP, it got me thinking, and I have switched to another provider!

I have successfully made a smooth changeover to Access waste from Greyhound. Still have my original bins too. Greyhound have said they will come to collect my bins but I'm just going to keep them out the back and hopefully they won't follow up on it.

Recieved my switching forms from Thorntons

For a 140l smaller bin which is what I currently have with Greyhound, the annual service charge is €25 and it's €3.75 per lift.

Much happier with this than Greyhounds €60 fee & pay per weight

I moved from Greyhound to Access Waste and received my account information today. I went to their website (www.accesswaste.ie) to pay into my account. Login access to my account is not SSL protected (i.e. my login credentials are not protected/encrypted between my browser and the web server) - that's bad practice but unfortunately not too unusual either. However, once logged in I am presented with a page asking for my credit card details and this page is not SSL protected either (despite wording on the page suggesting that it is). For any customers of Access Waste, be warned that if you submit credit card details via their website in its current state, your credit card details are visible to anyone that may be monitoring traffic to and from either your computer or the web server. Such a setup on the website is unprofessional, and shockingly bad to be honest.

I submitted my concerns to Access Waste via the enquiry form on their site ([broken link removed]) but I'm not sure that's actually working either. In that submission I suggested they take the issue up with whoever manages their website as a matter of urgency. A link on the bottom of the main Access Waste web page suggests that the website was developed by Sunrise Industries (http://www.sunriseindustries.ie/) so I've submitted my concerns to them too via the contact page on their website, on the assumption that they actively manage Access Waste's website. Hopefully they'll sort this out quickly - the fix is relatively simple, which makes it all the more astonishing that the website was so poorly implemented to start with. Maybe if more people submit their concerns via one or both websites this would hurry things along.

In the meantime I strongly advise Access Waste customers to not top-up their accounts via the website, providing your credit card details to Access Waste over the phone is currently far safer.

In the meantime I strongly advise Access Waste customers to not top-up their accounts via the website, providing your credit card details to Access Waste over the phone is currently far safer.

You could also use the payzone system in the meantime. I paid the €24 start-up transaction payment (free of charge) in our local garage.

For info, Access Waste's website seems to have been sorted now in that once you've logged in the page for submitting credit card details is now protected/encrypted. The initial login step is still not encrypted though, but that's sadly a failing of many websites.

A different problem, but the website seems to be difficult to acccess this morning and I've had several attempts to access it fail already. Hopefully that's a temporary issue though.

We just changed over to thorntons and sent the letter to greyhound asking them to collect the old bins. Has anyone had theirs colldcted yet? Are they obliged to collect them or can we dispose of them? We're hiring a skip next week and am just thinking it'd be easier for us to dump them ourselves.

I've heard stories of people having to wait a long time and having to contact GH several times before their bins were collected.

In my case, I moved to Access but wanted to keep my bins, so I'm happy enough that GH haven't come looking for them, even though they told me they would come to take them.

My guess is that unless you really pester them to do it, it's unlikely they'll come. But if you throw them out and then they come looking, not sure what you'll do then.

Greyhound charges

Hopefully someone can advise me to whether this is okay to do, I have an account with geryhound but am in the process of moving to Thorntons as many people seem to be, have my bins from Thorntons and paid my charge, I have been leaving out my greyhound bin to use up the remaining credit I have on my account, however when I checked it the other day it was minus 40 euro, and I know that shouldn't be the case, I contacted them and they deducted the €60 annual service charge without any notification. Is this legal? I thought that I topped that up for bin collections only, and that they would have to get some sort of authorisation from me before deducting anything else. Surely that means they can deduct anything they like as they see fit, without my authorisatin? Now I've paid annual charges to both companies. Have contacted them, am waiting for a reply, has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks

Along with Access's Happy Christmas and New Year greeting they have notified new annual charge on 'pay-by-lift' of €50 to be paid €25 1/2/12 and €25 1/8/'12 :(

They obviously changed their minds about increasing the lift charge which they had originally said they would do in early '12.

Back