Greyhound bin collection - new charges

This would appear to be the best value, but there's a 40 euro registration fee..

And then 6 months down the line, the levy fee letter will arrive..

I queried the €40 fee and they said it is now €24 and is used up in your bin lift fees rather than a separate charge. They will ask people to put their black bins out once a month and therefore hope not to have to introduce a yearly fee. Nothing to lose by giving them a try.

I queried the €40 fee and they said it is now €24 and is used up in your bin lift fees rather than a separate charge. They will ask people to put their black bins out once a month and therefore hope not to have to introduce a yearly fee. Nothing to lose by giving them a try.

That sounds ok.. i might give them a try too so..

Do Access collect refuse in the Lucan area?

Right now in Lucan, we have the choice of Thorntons, Greyhound and City Bin, all charging varying amounts in an annual fee and seperate bin lift fees thereafter. Much of a muchness between all of them.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown are insisting that I pay an annual fee for their re-cycling service even though I don't use it. I am in dispute with them over this. If I do not use their service why do I have to pay for it.

I thought that DLR had stopped collecting anything? Do you mean Panda charging for the green bin?

I sent an email to Greyhound yesterday requesting that my account be closed as I am going to make the switch to Access.

I received the following email today:

Thank you for your email. The service charge applies to all customers and will take effect from 01st October. Therefore, this will enable you to present your bin every week (black, brown & green on the scheduled days) for collection and only pay for the waste disposed of in the black and brown bins.

For Example: if you present your black bin and the weight registers as 1kg – all you will be charged for this is 0.31cent for the collection. The Annual Charge subscribes you to the service in order for you to be able to do this and not having to wait for a number of weeks before collection. Therefore for example in 1 months worth of collections you may only pay €3.10 for your collections (based on 10kg bin weight) and €4.60 (annual charge broken down per month) which is a saving compared to paying 10.50 for 1 lift in a month.

The new pricing structure is aimed to reduced the cost for customers over the course of the year.

If you wish to proceed with you cancellation please let me know. Unfortunately, we would have to remove the bins from your premises and Access would need to supply you with new ones.

I hope this clarifies your queries but should you require any further information please let me know.
I have just sent the following reply:

Thanks for your detailed reply. I understand how you intend to run the new pricing system. However, the example figures you have given below are completely dependent on the bin weights which you have assumed? What are these based on? I have no idea how much my full bins (black or brown) weigh, or much I typically put out per week in terms of kg. I assume that most of your other customers are in the same position?

I have a large black bin and a small brown bin. Can you give me any indication of what the typical weights of these bins are? Does it vary a lot, depending on how much households use their green and brown bins? We already put as much as possible in our green and brown bins.

You have also used a generic statement below saying "The new pricing structure is aimed to reduced the cost for customers over the course of the year." I don't know how you can make this statement because it is completely dependent on how often people put their (full) bins out. My wife and I currently only need to put our black and brown bins out every 2 months, as there are only the two of us. This amounts to approx €95 per year under the current pricing structure.

Under the new pricing structure, we will have paid €60 before we have even had a bin lifted. Lets say we use your assumed figure of €3.10 below for a black bin weight of 10kg every month. This amounts to €37.20 over the course of a year. So I'm already at a total of €97.20 before I even have any brown bins collected.

I'm not trying to be difficult about this. I'm just trying to point out that the new system does not suit everyone. You also seem to making the point that if people put their bins out every week with small amounts in them, then they will save money. This makes no sense. People will just be paying smaller amounts more frequently, the end result is still the same! I currently have no problem putting my bin out every two months, it is of no issue to me. In fact, I would rather not have the hassle of having to put 3 bins out every week.

I would also express concerns about putting out bins that are mainly empty. A lot of households put out their bins in the morning and then leave the house for the day for work or school etc. How is anyone to know if a neighbour or anyone else has put more waste into your bin, which you will then pay for. Have Greyhound considered this issue? There will also be a general issue with the fact that people will not know if the figures they are being charged are correct, because they won't know the weights of their bins? Is this not going to lead to a lot of disputes between Greyhound and their customers?

Finally, I was told on the phone yesterday that I would be allowed to keep my bins. Access are prepared to let me use my current bins. They will change the labels etc on them. Is it not easier for Greyhound if they do not have to come and collect my bins? Is it really necessary for me to give them back?
Will keep you updated on how I get on. I'm still planning on switching to access.

Thanks SueEllen and Hastalavista....I thought not!

Great post PolkaDot. You covered all the questions and objections I had when I rang Greyhound and Thorntons.

I received a 9 month statement from Thorntons today detailing my usage and charges for the last 9 months:

black bin 8.40 x 5 lifts = 42 euro
brown bin 4.20 x 6 lifts = 25.20
green bin free
total for last 9 months = 67.20

Comparing 9 months old pricing with Greyhound's new pricing structure over the next 9 months assuming the amount of lifts are the same:

Annual service charge 50 euro per year: 37.50 for 9 months
black bin 7.50 x 5 lifts = 37.50
brown bin no change 4.20 x 6 lifts = 25.20
total for the next 9 months under new pricing structure = 100.20

An increase of 33 euro over 9 months.

And these companies are attempting to tell us that they are saving us money??????

I'm cross...enough said.:mad:

Greyhound
Standing Charge 60 | per lift - black n/a | per lift - brown n/a | per kg - black 31c | per kg - brown 24c

Thorntons *pay online 5% credit
Standing Charge 47.5 | per lift - black 7.13 | per lift - brown 3.99 | per kg - black n/a | per kg - brown n/a

CityBin
Standing Charge 48 | per lift - black 7 | per lift - brown n/a | per kg - black 25c | per kg - brown 19c | over 50kg black 15.5c

Access dont collect in my area, South Dublin prices above

If you wish to proceed with you cancellation please let me know. Unfortunately, we would have to remove the bins from your premises and Access would need to supply you with new ones.

This makes me laugh. Getting Greyhound to collect their bins from your premises is a major ordeal - took them 10 weeks to collect them from my house and they only did so because my wife, after ringing them nearly every day, threatened to take the bins down to their HQ herself and cause big scene.

We were being charged for someone else's black bin with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Council for 3 years. I phoned and wrote and emailed them to call to my home so that I could show them that the black bin I had was a completly different number. Nobody bothered to call. It was easier for them to keep billing me.

In the end and after a lot of searching I found the little card that had accompanied my black bin when I first got it back in circa 2000. I photocopied this and sent it off to them.

Eventually they acknowledged that it was not my bin but there was a suggestion that I had mixed up my bins with my neighbour. It was my fault in otherwords.

I decided to check all the bin numbers on my road over a number of days and I found that the there was a sort of sequence to the numbers of bins that my neighbours had. The bin I was being charged for incorrectly bore no resemblance to these numbers. Dun Laoghaire Rathdown said that they were unable to trace who the owner of the other bin was, at least that was what they told me.

They reluctantly reversed some of the charges but not the fixed costs. They put me through a lot of stress and upset.

Access don't yet appear to collect from my area.

But like Greyhound they appear a little opaque in their pricing structure.

As well as the "pay per lift" they have a "Standard Account" and quote €247.50 per annum (in advance) or €22.92 per month (by DD).

But the 'sign up' process explains it is a "pay by weight" system - but don't explain the cost breakdown!

"Pay-by-Weight charges will be deducted from your account.
Collection Service Type:
Dublin Standard Account (12 months - € 247.54)
(1 X 240 litre bin waste, 1 X 240 litre bin recycling, 1 X 140 litre bin organic, 1 X 240 litre bin waste)":confused::confused::confused:

You have to go to the FAQ to find

"What will the pay by weight service cost?

• Service: €40 per quarter urban; €50 rural
  • Black Bin: 20c per kilo
  • Green Bin: collected free of charge for our customers"
:confused:

Like Greyhound's "Promise#2" they seem to like
Innovative Customer Communication
:rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity I went to weight my black bin with a bathroom scale.
It is 65kg and there is still room left for more trash, in my opinion just a typical load.
So assuming that the bin is ~5kg- I'd have to pay around €18- €20 for the same amount of refuse +annual fee on top of that.
Black bin is usually full every 6 weeks resulting in ~9 collections a year on pay per lift system.
9 collections *€10,50=€94,5
With pay per weight it would be around €220-€240.
Thank you greyhound for extraordinary savings. I’m moving to citybin.
I’ll just add that I recycle glass + whatever is allowed in the green bin. Don’t use brown bin because amount of the organic waste is minimal. Most weight is result of hundreds of nappies

Last edited by a moderator:
"The average weight of the large 240L black bin is 20kg. The 140L black bin holds approx 60% of this volume i.e. 12kg and at 31 cent per kilo would cost €3.72 as opposed to the current charge of €6.00.

The average household waste is 20kg. This is spread between the black and brown bin so therefore would be estimated at approx 10kg per bin. Therefore if you present your bin every 2 weeks - even half full (costing approx €1.55 for a 140ltr Black bin) - this will reduce your cost over the course of the year".

The above is an extract from an email I received in response to a query. I think if they didnt keep trying to tell me that they are reducing my costs-which they are not-I would probably have continued to use the service...(inertia)! Citybin for me, I think.

Received an email from CityBin today, there's an additional perkg weight charge on top of the €7 per lift if you go over 50kg on your black bin. Really wish these companies could be upfront on their websites on these new charges.

"The service fee is €48 per year and the bins are charged at €7 per lift.
The weight threshold is 50kg, bins that go over this weight may be subject to a excess weight charge of 15.5c per kilo over the 50kg."

If as emiszcz says above typical bin load is 65kg, then Thorntons proves to be the better option

cost

Hi,
I'm with CityBin from 12/07, family of 5, no brown bin (compost bin in the garden).

I checked my black bin weights: these were beetween 27kg and 82.5kg/full bin, average 45kg. We put out our black bin 12-13 times/year (pay per lift).
With the new and better and moneysaver structure I will pay 35-45 euro extra (40-44% extra) per annum. :(

I'm considering to move from CityBin to Thorntons because of the average 45kg bin weight, 30% of lifts were over 50kg in the last nearly 4 years.

No Access in my area, and the Access price page said: "Above prices are guaranteed until February 2012"...

what will happen with the service charge if I want change the company after october???

Has anyone else been told by Greyhound that they will need to give their original SDCC bins to Greyhound if they want to cancel their account?

I am signing up with Access and they have told me to ignore Greyhound because Greyhound don't own those bins! Access are going to use my original bins. Otherwise I would need to buy new bins off them.

From their Standard Household T&C's at [broken link removed]

4. GH reserves the right to remove the bins from the Customer's premises without prior notice in certain circumstances (e.g. non payment of an account, damaged bins that are used for purposes other than waste disposal etc.). GH shall be entitled to charge the Customer €40 per bin, which GH is required to recover in the event that the Customer terminates this agreement or in the event that the Customer does not renew the agreement with GH.

Back