Going rate for ADULT CHILD AT HOME - RENT.

I've been at both ends of the scale having had an elderly parent and an adult child living with us (not together thankfully. That would have led to world war 3).
Both paid their way. When gran was with us she would pretend to forget, and I would find money in strange places, in little pockets in my handbag or even in a shoe of mine. There was no point in arguing with her (or even trying to give it back) so I would make little treats for, do her hair, nails, take her out to lunch etc. She often told me no money could buy the care she got from both me and OH.

We suggested to our son when he came home from abroad that as we did not know what would be an appropriate rent, that he should check the rents for one bed apartment or house share in the local area. He was delighted to accept that rate but had all meals plus phone electricity etc. No washing or ironing.

He since moved on to his own place.

adult children

Hi all,
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread and butting in on your discussion! I'm a journalist and writing a feature for the Irish Independent about parents who have adult children living at home. I'd like to interview any parents about the issues raised in this thread, such as whether you charge rent or not, and about whether the living arrangements.
If you'd like to speak to me anonymously, that's fine too. My deadline is 7pm today (Jan. 28) and I can be reached on [email protected].
Many thanks.

we have a 19 year old working full time. feels incredibly entitled and is absolutely disgusted that we have asked the teenager to contribute the paltry amount of 30 euros per week. Its not that we need the money. I feel an adult child should contribute in some way and start taking some responsibility around the place. What's incredibly annoying is the adult child feels their doing me a favour by letting me live in my house and paying all their bills for them. I think its time I asked the adult child to take the 30 euro they begrudgingly hands over to their ma (when they feel like it) and move into the penthouse apartment they feel they can get for that kind of money. I'm pretty sure our adult child will be back in a week or 2 begging for that room back

The whole issue can be a minefield grahamo. I have a friend with 3 adult children living at home. They are officially contributing nothing and he is not a high earner. eldest is in his 30's and fridge/drinks are open house when their friends call around. It appears to be a guilt issue with them (even though there is no evident saving for own house etc).
was there not a recent TV program on this topic?

Back