Going back to College as mature student

With that kind of determination you will get through it somehow!!

Been through the mature student route and of course it was murder. Had the travel problems and the family problems but somehow you get through, and come out the other end a changed person. The benefits are everlasting.

Best of luck and hope everything works out for you

Thanks, fingers crossed I'll get in. All the info has been helpful. Have already followed up on alot of it. Doing my bit and "if its for me it wont pass me by" as they say.

Thanks again.

Been through the mature student route and of course it was murder. Had the travel problems and the family problems but somehow you get through, and come out the other end a changed person. The benefits are everlasting.

+1. Went that route myself and it was tough going but a real achievement and have never regretted it. Wishing you all the very best Anne123!

+2 I did the full time work, part time study from 5th year in secondary school. you'll do fine - & if not now when. good luck

Go for it Annie. You are well aware now of the difficulties you will face but your determination will get you through. Having your former partner to take on the task of looking after your young son will also help greatly.

I've just finished a four year business degree with the Quinn School in UCD while working full time too (children grown adults now). This is meant to be distance learing but to be honest the workload is every bit as heavy as that for a full time student. The good part is that you only have to attend college once a month - all day Friday and Sat in the first year and less in the subsequent years. Loads of assignments though and lots of study but if you organise your time you'll manage.

I had several classmates who worked full time and had small children to cope with as well . The support of their partners/spouse and families helped them to completed the course.

On another postive note over 50% of those that took the course succeeded in getting promotion in their jobs during their time at college.

You know the saying - the man who made time made plenty of it. You just have to manage it. Take time out not only for son but also for yourself. You'll be surprise how you can do something when you put your mind to it not to mention the sense of achievement at the end.

Best of luck.

Dear Anne123,
I'm a final year mature student at UCC and find my course engrossing and stimulating but it takes over your life! My commute is about 45mins each way and I have no children to look after. However, your spare time is taken up in the library, doing research, reading...you have to keep on top of it or you'll lose the plot. Anyway, my suggestion is : would you consider staying up in Dublin two or three nights a week? A B+B would probably work out cheaper than paying for transport. The kind of travel you describe will kill you. You will end up sleeping on the bus, not working.
Just a thought. Best of luck.
HMC

I would say don't do it. There is more to life than education, too many people see it as the answer to all lifes problems.

Also the value of a part time degree would be about 30% that of a full time version in my opinion.

Surely this statement cannot be correct, surely a degree is a degree, & the qualification is the same.
If they are being used just as an entry qualification to somewhere then I suppose they are equal.

As far as adding value to a job application a degree undertaken as full time (non mature student) will have far more weight than a part time degree. Somebody mentioned doing a part time degree in 4 years. No way will this have the same amount of depth or content as a full time degree.

Somebody mentioned doing a part time degree in 4 years. No way will this have the same amount of depth or content as a full time degree.
Fair enough but from another perspective, taking on FE while holding down a day job should score some points re. commitment/dedication/seriousness of candidate should it not?

As far as adding value to a job application a degree undertaken as full time (non mature student) will have far more weight than a part time degree. Somebody mentioned doing a part time degree in 4 years. No way will this have the same amount of depth or content as a full time degree.

I disagree with this. If a degree is accredited from a recognised institution the same material will be covered whether or not it is done part time or full time and the qualification will hold the same weight.

Also - the OP is talking about going back to full time education so in her case the degree is full time, and she is a mature student. Mature students tend to do far better in terms of grades than non mature students in full time third level education.

I disagree with this. If a degree is accredited from a recognised institution the same material will be covered whether or not it is done part time or full time and the qualification will hold the same weight.

Also - the OP is talking about going back to full time education so in her case the degree is full time, and she is a mature student. Mature students tend to do far better in terms of grades than non mature students in full time third level education.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, maybe for some soft subjects but not for science. When I started my course in science the drop out rate for mature students was huge, many just couldn't cope wtih doing hard science after years away from education.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, maybe for some soft subjects but not for science. When I started my course in science the drop out rate for mature students was huge, many just couldn't cope wtih doing hard science after years away from education.

I had the opposite experience (science also). One factor that seems to be common with the mature students was if they were paying for it out of their own pocket and not working - they stayed. Compared to the drop out rate of 18 year olds who had floated into the course and werent really sure what they wanted to do or if college was for them etc.... the mature student drop out rate was much much lower.

Anne123,
I must admire and applaud your dedication to this. Yes i believe you should go for it and your son will be all the better for living and growing up with a mum who is pursuing her goals and dreams. He will not thank you, when he is older if he discovers that you put your dreams away for him. Children are extremely resilient and i reject the 'rule' that a traditional home with a full time carer is what all children need. Life is what we make it and taking your child along for the ride is a wonderful gift. YOu are showing him, by example, that you can achieve anything you want if you really want it and are prepared to make it happen. You have obviously thought it through well and i think your only unresolved item is the travel distance. However if you dont find an alternative for that before you start your studies you may well find a solution once you are in college, meeting people, learning about other peoples situations etc. You may discover a route that you never knew existed. Go for it and chase your dreams.
i am in a similar quandry. I am 42 single, no kids, and for last 2 years no job. I applied for Engineering 5 year fulltime thru CAO and was offered my first choice in UCD at interview yesterday. I cant believe it as I didnt think I had a hope of getting in. Now i am faced with how do i finance it etc? I have lost all my savings to due being an out of work Project Manager for the last 2 years. My parents think i am far too old to return to college for 5 years and say that 'my life will be over' by the time i get out. At 47 no one will hire me. Im sick of being told im too old for everything. I still feel i havent reached my potential in life and dont want to look back when im 65 and regret all the things i didnt do. All because people put me off. However I really am not sure if i can apply myself to the work. i have been out in the working world for so long and i am afraid to fail! The thougths of living as a broke student for 5 years fills me with dread. I will have to rent out my beuatiful home (laois), the mortgage of which i am stuggling to pay a part of at the moment. Hopefully the mortgage co will accept the rent which will meet 70% of the mortgage repayment. I will have to move back into my rented apt and rent out 2 rooms to pay for that mortgage. Hope my parents will take on my dog and cat. After that i dont know how i am going to live. I thought i could do a few planning permission nixers etc during the working week but i have been told that the Engineering degress is full time 5 days a week and until 7pm at night, in order to complete Projects etc. I am delighted with the news that i am in but i dont know if i should take it on or not. i have been doing some residential freelance work and am jsut starting to build a small home based business. do i go back to scratch again??

Nice to see true determination is still alive. Good luck on your venture Anne. From reading your post I've no doubt you will succeed! :eek:)

Back