Go Safe Camera: got photo but its impossible to determine whos driving.

Time,

The European court of justice has ruled on this. is the case in point.

Thanks for the reference, I edited your post with a link to the case {key words: FAIR TRIAL / PROMPT AND DETAILED INFORMATION}

The case related to UK law and practice. The case seems only tangentially relevant to the discussion in this thread. And finally, the court found there had been no violation of Article 6 § 1.

I think the provisions and practice in Irish Law would need to be challenged before one could make the assertion that it was at odds with "EU law".

aj

I doubt they would lose if it was taken the distance. The DPP has an awful habit of dropping these before they reach a court of record. Easy to drop one case rather than have the floodgates open.

Most people want the State to have less interference in minutiae like this, whilst clearly the OP expects the State to decide every little detail for them.
thats a strange thing to say given that the irish state feels it must intefere in nearly every aspect of its citizens lives! hence the name 'nanny state'

It is amazing that people allow such carry on. I left because of it. No regrets. :)

I think the provisions and practice in Irish Law would need to be challenged before one could make the assertion that it was at odds with "EU law".

AJ

Would that not be the working assumption, after which you take a test case?

If enough people raise this issue in court cases, judges may comment on it.

If enough people raise this issue in court cases, judges may comment on it.
It needs to get to a court of record i.e. High Court or above for any notice to be taken. The DPP will often drop these cases as they cost too much money to defend rather than take a risk of a landmark judgement calling the whole game into question. Easier to let one troublemaker go rather than let the house of cards fall.

thats a strange thing to say given that the irish state feels it must intefere in nearly every aspect of its citizens lives! hence the name 'nanny state'

Gee thanks for the explanation of 'nanny state' blueband! :rolleyes: maybe if you re-read my post you'll see I said most people don't want a nanny state yet the OP seems all in favour of it given they want the state to determine who was driving his/her own car!

Back