George Hook and his annoying Sky adverts

RMCF

How irritating are these ads?

Trying to get an old codger like Hookie to pretend he really loves Sky and their customer service. He obviously has never had to phone them!!

And everytime I listen to it, I can't understand why they left a certain line in it. Its the one when he says, "someone who cares as passionately .. as I do"

Listen to it the next time its on.
He is so excited saying "someone who cares as passionately", then he almost couldn't be bothered to open his mouth to get the "as I do" out. Its cringeworthy.

There is an old marketing adage that goes "if you cant fix it feature it".

George certainly plays up his curmudgeonly traits and sky customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

And also without George's ad we would never have had those excellent Apre Match sketches.

Funny thing. My wife thinks I sound like George Hook when I wax lyrical about the benefits of Sky+. And I do it without being paid a cent.

I wonder if there's a job opportunity for me in this?

RMCF I could'nt agree more. Every time I hear him I get more irritated. Add seems to be on every 2 minutes. I find it difficult to believe that he gets paid to do adds with voice and accent like that. He loves the sound of his own voice.

And this is the same guy who wore a black armband on RTE when Sky were awardes exclusing rights to showing live Heineken cup matches a couple of years ago.
What a hypocrite!

George is a hypocritical aural irritant IMO. To hear him going on about Anglo, one would think that he conducted his earlier business affairs in a prudent manner. Tell that to some of his past business associates.

I can only opoligise
Sky customer services answer to everything...I hate them

I hope he has earned enough form them. He is in violation of BAI rules that prohibit news readers from endorsing products.

I was a fan, still am to some extent, but I fear he's getting more smug with each passing year.

'e dont 'alf luv 'imself !!!!!!!

I moved to UPC since those ads were started.

Lord that is drastic!

I have to say on the scale of adverts that annoy me - this is well down the list.

Any advert where the man plays a buffon (and there are plenty) in relation to cleaning products drives me mad.

seems to have the desired effect.... getting people talking about it.

I'd say a lot of the ads that poeple give out about are deliberately made with that in mind.

I, for one, would not go over to SKY (even if I thought they were offering a good service) purely because of this advert - and the Mr Malapropish clown doing it. But he obviously has his followers.

I am about to cancel my Sky contract, which I have had for approx 10yrs, although not because of this advert.

Once I get a Freesat PVR, the Sky is gone. £500+ each year is simply too much. Don't watch enough TV to justify that any more.

Slighty off topic i am amazed how a guy who is touching 70 has so much energy. He seems to be everywhere...on Newstalk, TV., fashion shows, ads etc. In fairness he has often mentioned in a very open way the financial problems he had in the past. What really irritates me is his constant phrase " the key point is". I think he has given hope to people who may have suffered similar problems in the past.

Back