Gay Byrne for President!!

Thanks to all thing holy that he's not going for it. I couldn't understand the red c poll- where did they do the survey anyway - outside a bingo hall? I don;t know anyone who would have voted him (or admitted it anyway) so I can't see how he was leading the charge.

People tend to vote for people whose name and face they know.

He was far ahead of all the other candidates in that regard.

Brendan

Take Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson from the presidents we have had and look at the rest. Gay Byrne would have been a good president. The quicker our politicians recognize that the presidency is not a retirement reward for ageing politicians the better.

Thanks to all thing holy that he's not going for it. I couldn't understand the red c poll- where did they do the survey anyway - outside a bingo hall? I don;t know anyone who would have voted him (or admitted it anyway) so I can't see how he was leading the charge.

I was'nt going to vote for him until Fintan O'Toole wrote that article in the Times the other day trying to do him, apparently in fear that if Gaybo got in, it would mean the other remaining darling of the liberal left (Mickey D) would'nt have a chance.
If he's not liked by O'Toole, then he had my vote!

No President

I would vote for No Presidnet for 5 years.

Funds to go to fund delayed surgical precedures for Children or other suitable cause.

Since it so difficult to get a suitable person why not give it a break. It will be hard to follow the past two presidents.
Browtal.

I was once caught on camera and survived the online edit to appear for 30 seconds on an RTE package on the 6-1 news in 1997,I have been receiving number of calls encouraging me to run for the Aras,I will be keeping my options open and intend to have talks about talks with my supporters but for the moment I... blah de blahhh

What in the name of God qualifies any of these ego maniacs for such a position?

If the criteria was a hard neck and brass &&&&s....

There's been a muddying of the water in recent years with some people (with the aforementioned brass neck) deeming themselves perfectly competent to do any job.

I blame Bertie. He began the whole "crossover" thing by presenting himself as an football analyst on "the Premiership". Thus began his parallel career as a sports commentator culminating in a weekly column in the NOTW.

Elsewhere, you have Ivan Yates, Nora Owen and Mary O'Rourke turning their hands to broadcasting while, on the flip side, the Dail itself comprises a good sprinkling of members whose position refelcts their celebrity (e.g. Ming and Mick W) rather than any demonstrated capacity to serve as a politician.

Is it really any wonder, therefore, that half-baked celebrities earnestly believe that the constitutionally important role of president can be regarded as a just another high-profile gig?

'celebs' rule the world now.

This is very true. Pr. Obama has got to be the first true celebrity president.

His first big introduction to the world was through non other than Oprah herself.

He was greatly hyped by the mainstream media. He can deliver a wonderful on-screen performance when his lines are written before him on his famous teleprompter.

When he goes off script as he did while doing the celebrity rounds on talk-shows and late-night comics, it was often cringeworthy and backfired.

And sadly like many celebrities, the star quality can quickly fade.

This is very true. Pr. Obama has got to be the first true celebrity president.

His first big introduction to the world was through non other than Oprah herself.

He was greatly hyped by the mainstream media. He can deliver a wonderful on-screen performance when his lines are written before him on his famous teleprompter.

When he goes off script as he did while doing the celebrity rounds on talk-shows and late-night comics, it was often cringeworthy and backfired.

And sadly like many celebrities, the star quality can quickly fade.

Amen to all that!

Back